Call for motivated cooks: propose your recipe and cook it @ LOTE!

Dear foodies and cooked-with-love experts,

This task is for you. LOTE5 is about #Failing and #unFailing systemic crisis, of course, and we will need all the best nutrients for our brains to be inspired and fresh for sessions and some no-non-sense networking. So, how can you contribute?

1- Think about a recipe that can be sorted for up to 120 people;

2- Write down ingredients (including units x ingredient and for how many people they are weighted for) and cooking guidelines by commenting this post;

3- Come @ LOTE and make your recipe come true :slight_smile: You’ll be coordinating the Food Team for it to happen

Just as a reminder our budget is kind of tight, oysters and caviar for 120 people isn’t an option!

In case you feel like following LOTE’s theme here is some inspiration from Domestic Science Club’s Recipes for Disaster:

‘Recipes for Disaster’ are  simple recipes for creating a sublime landscape : erupting volcanoes, superb tsunamis, dizzying earthquakes,… blended, mixed, cooked or fried. How does this attempt relates to working with house garden and kitchen experiments wherein failure is a defining element and errors are being exposed on a fundamental basis? What is the taste of the indigestible? Does your stomach endures the BigBang?

1 Like

vegan sweetpotatoe-peanutbutter-dish

Since I don’t follow recipes, I have no clue about the needed quantities of the ingredients yet. That will be calculated through in time before the event. People who are allergic to peanutbutter will die, though.

2 Likes

Sounds delicious!

Yummy :slight_smile: We need to estimate though our food budget asap, just a rough estimation of how many potatoes, peanutbutter and other ingredients per person would help a lot.

Any day preference for you to cook it?

25/02 dinner

26/02 lunch

27/02 lunch

28/02 lunch

I’d prefer to host the cooking party on thursday, 25th, for dinner.

Preferably start cooking early enough to be able to attend the session from 5 pm on. This dish gets better, when it “sits” for a while, anyway.

Ingredients needed as main meal for 90-100 people:

5 kg of onions

8 garlic bulbs

same amount of ginger as garlic (about 3-4 really big pieces, no idea how to describe it)

2 l oil for frying

15 kg of sweet potatoes

15 kg of canned tomatoes

Bouillon for approx. 12 liters

6 kg of palmkale/kale or spinach (kale would be more seasonal)

3.5 kg of peanut butter

cumin seeds (I don’t even try to estimate …)

coriander seeds

salt

an entire forest of fresh coriander (maybe 1,5 kg?)

2 kg of roasted peanuts

I like the recipe a lot, but if anone else is very keen on cooking, please go ahead - I don’t insist on doing it :slight_smile:

And I will definitely need some motivated co-cookers! I cooked this for 30 people, but 120 is an entirely new dimension.

So much opportunity for failure!! So if someone is in the mood to carry some of the pressure …

1 Like

You might have a peanut allergy because your ancestors had sex with Neanderthals  devil

1 Like

Cool! Since my session is about Syrian refugees, I propose cooking some vegan Syrian appetizers like hummus and tabbouleh. Could also make some veggie tagines(Moroccan stew) but I need the tagine pots. Let me know if you guys can find some in Brussels.

3 Likes

Pretty sure we can find tagine pots

Asking to our venue contact person :wink:

Any chance you could also make an effort on the quantities per person? Need to make an estimation on our foods expenses.

Looking forward!

1 Like

hmm that’s a challenge but I accept it. Will calculate and let you know! When do you need this info? Give me a deadline :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

vegan chocolate mousse

To give it a Belgian aftertaste, I could make vegan chocolate mousse buy using the liquid from the chickpeas from the hummus. Just whisk 125ml of chickpeas water until fully fluffy and bain marie 100g dark chocolate. add together and let it set in the fridge :slight_smile: We don’t have to eat it on the day of the Syrian meal.

How much chickpeas water do you think we would have?

1 Like

One additional question

For how many people would be the 100gr of chocolate? Depends of course from the dessert affinity but as an average? Trying to figure out a budget for our cooking plans :wink:

We can go for 30g/person. If we have a bit too much I am sure it won’t go to waste :wink:

Need to make an estimation

By this week community call - Wednesday 13th. Persil persil persil…good luck :stuck_out_tongue:

Tabouleh recipe for 120 pax

@ireinga here’s the recipe for 120 people:

Parsley - 120 bunches

Scallions - 40 bunches

Tomatoes - 20 kg

Bulgur wheat - 6 kg

Lemons - 80

Romaine lettuce - 1

Olive oil - 2 liters

Salt, black pepper, paprika  - ummm, no idea?

Mercimek corbasi - Lentil Soup (Vegan)

I was in Instanbul last week and i was amazed by this super-easy recipe (that i already cooked back home). The recipe for 4 people is:

1 big potato

1 carrot

100gr of red lentils

1/2 onion

1/2 lemon

100gr of tomato soup

10 mint leaves

Oil

Water

Salt

So if we have 120 people > we need this quantities multiplied by 30.

30 big potato (4 kg)

30 carrot (3kg)

3kg of red lentils

1kg onion

15 lemons

3 bottle of tomato soup (1 lt each)

10 mint leaves sticks

Oil (1 lt)

Water

Salt

Because is an hot soup maybe is better in the evening?

2 Likes

Starter or main dish?

Hey Matteo

Are you calculating that soup as a starter? Or as a main dish?

Trying to calculate my sweet potatoe meal, I noticed I end up with about 4 times of your amount of ingredients … :slight_smile:

And now I’m trying to find the bug … is it my russian roots that try to feed entire Brussels? Or maybe you didn’t plan

for the soup to be the only dish for 120 people? Because when I think of my 5-kg-bag of red mercimek at home,

I can’t even imagine that this would be enough for 120 people to cook mercimek corbasi for …

Thanks and afiyet olsun (soon!)

Kaja

1 Like

Hey Kaja,

it’s definitively a starter!

Would be happy to contribute my culinary skills to feed all

My suggestion for a simple lunch dish is the following:

SPINACH/Kale AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH DAAL

• 2.5kg red lentils
  • 2.5kg Yellow (or other lentils)
  • 4.5kg diced butternut squash
  • 1litre olive oil
  • 8 chopped red onions
  • 4  large ginger, minced
  • 3 garlic bulbs, minced
  • 5 tblspoons ground turmeric
  • 100g salt
  • 20 fresh red chillis
  • 100g cumin seeds
  • 18kg raw spinach (or about 10kg Kale) or a mixture
  •  
  • OPTIONAL, yet I highly recommend
  • 1 bunch of fresh curry leaves
  • 100g mustard seeds

I like to serve this with a little salty mushroom topping to add some extra protein/flavour.

This would need:

1.5kg Mushrooms chopped

1 bottle soy sauce

I have scaled this up from a 4 person recipe so some ingredients may not all be needed. I notice that there is quite a lot of overlap with other dishes proposed here though so that would work out.

Its a great little flavourful dish thats great for vegetarians and vegans, and light enough for lunch one day.

Alex

1 Like

Dear guys,

so first of all, I LOVE the recipe Titus130,

heres my suggestion of one of my favorite vegan recipes as I think that a stew or a soup would be the best idea. In this recipe youll have the starches to satisfy the hunger, the protein wich keep you full for a while and the acid for a fruity note.

So this is for 6-8 people but Im gonna post the ingredients for 120 later on. Just so youll have a short impression of my idea.

L e m o n

C h i c k p e a

L e n t i l

S o u p

1 tbsp Olive Oil

2 cups onion (diced)

1 1/2 cups celery (diced)

3 large gloves garlic (minced)

3/4 tsp sea salt

freshly ground pepper

1 tsp mustard seeds

1 tsp cumin seeds

1 1/2 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp dried oregano

1 tsp dried thyme

1 cup (preferably dry) lentils

3 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas

2 cups zucchini or tomatoes (or both) (chopped)

3 cups vegetable stock

2 cups water

2 dried bay leaves (optional)

1/4 - 1/3 cup lemon juice

Cheers, Theresa

1 Like

So much food :slight_smile:

Nice to meet you @resa! Between you, @Alex_Levene and the rest it seems we’re gonna be stuffed :smiley:

Not sure how you will schedule the cooking, as @ireinga is manning this.

Just a thought: maybe there’s a way that we do a buffet too (at least once) to avoid overcrowding the kitchen. That way, everyone brings smaller quantities from home (up to 10 portions) that can be heated if needed. Friday and Saturday are when most people will be in.

Are you based in Brussels? If so, don’t miss the Apero on Feb 11th @ Le Space. See you soon!

1 Like

Hi @resa,

Hi @Resa,

I want to use your juice/water from the chickpeas to make vegan chocolate mouse. I was wondering if you would cook the chickpeas yourself or if you would go for tinned peas?

How much will you be cooking?

Cheers, Merel