Community Call Notes - 21st June 2017

Notes diligently taken by @WinniePoncelet and @Gehan, Wednesday 21st June.

Attending: @Noemi, @WinniePoncelet, @Gehan, @Simon Grant, @Bernard, @Owen

Noemi:

• Following up on policy making panel/group. Wrote to person in Milano, waiting for reply. See how they would like to approach the session. Case of mobility ramps (co-design with citizens). Is there something specifically we can do with civil servants around the table?
  • The third community fellow is known. It’s Francis from Woodbine health. Theme on living and working well together. Quite radical. They might bring in interesting people. He’ll be in for the community calls soon. Check out Woodbine Health Autonomy Center and their latest blog post.

Winnie:

• Had a chat with Kat Austen: infrastructure design kit

https://katausten.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/portfolio_nov2015_small.pdf 

• How big a space needed for a design workshop? Is 2 days too much? We need more information posted.
  • Funding for DIY projects : Lucy’s session - what else is out there?
  • [Kat's] previous work with OpenDroplet is no longer going due to funding not available anymore. This ties in with the funding question.

Bernard: 

• Ken is able to come. He works on IoT in agriculture.
  • Proposal: a day of IoT stuff? Could be, but it needs a structure to move from fast project introduction to actually collaborating.
  • Harvesting insights from the festival:
    • Organise sessions and people around big questions, and then have the different themes contribute their answers to that. 
    • We need sessions on the same question across the different themes: Funding in diy projects separately from Funding in policy etc doesn’t make sense! We should get a post up on the forum for that, and combine with another call.
    • Also it may help to tie together diverse sessions if there are some theme-level questions that each session contributes to answering. Perhaps even generating further questions that may suggest useful ongoing lines of ongoing enquiry. 

Bernard has many things to choose from:

• Homelessness - Doing workshops with people who need housing; hosting them in Pat’s Tiny Houses.
  • StreetNurses in Brussels
  • DoucheFlux
  • Videos on mental health and collaborating with “caution and passion”; work with videographers; same with dementia. - part of UnMonastery
  • Ecohack: Pat & Ken & co. to present their work on that

Gehan: still thinking deeply about the theme

• Policies are not bad in and of themselves, but they are flawed can be improved.
  • Examples of policies that enable / disrupt citizen responses care work
  • Drawing on systems theory
  • Humanity has a lot of genuine impulses around care, and policies can disrupt that.
  • Check http://procomuns.net/en/program/ in relation to open care
    • Thought this session looked relevant - City Challenges: Economics of care. "To what extent do digital platforms and collaborative methodologies cover the field of care, or can they be applied and respond to the needs that exist in the field of the care economy?"
    • Technology infrastructure and blockchain for a common collaborative economy. "We will introduce new technological tools within our reach and discuss technological strategies to then dynamically debate (with “balls”) about the potential (or not) of blockchain to promote the procommon collaborative economy." 

Owen: reminder of our video campaign ad, open to submissions:

• Open Casting page
  • Best to upload to Vimeo and share link, can set video to private
  • Check script, make it your own and use your own language if necessary 
3 Likes

My takeaway from the call

I see a lot of value in sharing where we are with the work and discovering overlaps - drawing each other’s attention that someone in the community is already asking similar questions like ours.

I was also positively surprised about Bernard’s process of really digging in the network to find collaborators around homelessness and mental illness - and looking forward to a few paragraphs with what they intend to do so as to latch onto that to invite those working on the same.

2 Likes

+1

Seconded, and also surprised by the diversity of Bernard’s interests. Makes me realise the importance of ‘connectors’ at the festival and the preparation of it, who can see where different fields find each other.

1 Like

Connecting questions

I’ve added the thread to discuss it here.

1 Like

…and within themes?

Thanks for sharing these thoughts. And thanks Winnie for creating a Wiki to gather the common questions.

The person I’d spoken to was referring to ways to connect the sessions in a theme. So perhaps we’re looking at cascading tiers - session level questions/theme level questions/common OpenCare questions?

What do you think? She also underlined the importance of each session being really clear on three things; Purpose, Need & Calling Question/s - and that these are separately and clearly articulated. I thought this was helpful - don’t know if its also helpful for others…

other formats?

I was having another chat with a friend and colleague who is heavily involved in attempts to influence drug policy… in relation to the AOL theme, this is a case in point - as you may know - globally drug policy is dominated by a harm reduction approach that is founded on 2-3 experiments that drew conclusions about the addictive nature of heroin based on rats in cages - Bruce Alexander’s work talks about a different approach - the globalisation of addiction based on a counter experiment nicknamed ‘Rat Park’ & there’s a great graphic novel report of this - perhaps graphic novel format might be an alternative way to gather and diseminate insights?

Anyway I was reminded of the Museum of the Future that another connection who’s expertise lies in scenario planning around the future of health…  he’s used MoF in helping people to imagine the future - I think he did this with young people for a project we were involved in a few years ago. I wondered whether that might make for an interesting session that gets away from simple ‘downloading’ good info and purely presentation based formats? I’m due to meet up with him soon - I’ll ask him what would be involved…