Program proposals! (work in progress)

How to propose something for the program

A good proposal will include 1) a description of your work 2) reflections around your experiences working in community, as well as 3) a burning question or challenge you would like to explore during the event.

To submit a proposal you are invited to write a post with some initial thoughts and then publish it in our shared workspace. Here is a brief you are required to answer*. Once your proposal is posted, other community members will leave thoughtful comments to help refine it. The Program team will contact you for next steps within two weeks from the time of posting.

* On Briefs: When we launched the OpenCare conversations last year we had several questions we asked the community - all the stories contribute to finding answers to those questions. Here are the briefs (accessible from the main menu - OpenCare stories).

Ongoing Submissions

Together we are building a unique program in which every talk, workshop and co-design session is an excellent, generative experience for everyone involved. You can help by reading and leaving thoughtful comments on the proposals below…

Themes examples

Session proposals

Process for Working Together

All background information and status of proposals is collected by the team in a shared spreadsheet.

Proposals are turned into the official program when:

1. Team members agree with the proponents on the final title, summary, format, scheduling, hi res photos etc. Proponents are signed up to share openvillage consistently on their social media.

2. Team members set up individual event pages on edgeryders.eu containing the agreed details

3. An official Program page is updated with links to individual sessions.

*** Travel support is made available on a case by case basis for most active contributors, both session leaders and OpenVillage participants in general.

Schedule

Work in progress. Approved sessions are added by the program team on a rolling basis.

Session Who?  Learn more
DAY 1: Talks and Project Demonstrations 09:00 - 18:00
Title of session & 1 short paragraph description Name & 1 sentence biography of session leader  Project Story URL on Edgeryders.eu
Title of session & 1 short paragraph description Name & 1 sentence biography of session leader  Project Story URL on Edgeryders.eu
Title of session & 1 short paragraph description  Name & 1 sentence biography of session leader   Project Story URL on Edgeryders.eu

DAY 2: Fishbowls, Workshops & Masterclasses
Title of session & 1 short paragraph description Name and 1 sentence bio of session leader 

URL on Edgeryders.eu

Title of session & 1 short paragraph description Name and 1 sentence bio of session leader  URL on Edgeryders.eu
Title of session & 1 short paragraph description Name and 1 sentence bio of session leader  URL on Edgeryders.eu

Day 3: Co-design Sprints and Project development coaching
Project Name  1 paragraph description  Project Story URL on Edgeryders.eu
Project Name 1 paragraph description Project Story URL on Edgeryders.eu
Project Name  1 paragraph description Project Story URL on Edgeryders.eu
Project Name 1 paragraph description Project Story URL on Edgeryders.eu

#OpenVillage Festival

Follow us: Facebook   Twitter   Newsletter

General inquiries: contact@edgeryders.eu

Contributions & Partnerships: company@edgeryders.eu

1 Like

Need a quick reply from curators…

Hey @Gehan and @WinniePoncelet ,

So our festival program page in the menu looks pretty empty now… it’s simple but misses the connection between themes and actual sessions. The themes listed there are generic ones we used prior to working with you. We need to link to synthetic theme pages, in addition to circulating your briefs and calls for participation. So:

Can we show people we invite what is already part of which theme? The hope is that will make it easier for others to build on the theme.

Let me know what you think of the below?

For Citizen Science: https://edgeryders.eu/en/openvillage/open-science-and-citizen-science-for-more-inclusive

For Architectures of Love: https://edgeryders.eu/en/openvillage/architectures-of-love-creating-the-conditions-for-open

As content managers, you should be able to see them even as unpublished pages as they are now. There is also an Edit tab on the top where you can edit the pages yourselves. We can work together to finalize them on Wednesday early morning - even if you dont have final information… Ping me for quick chats?

Tomorrow

Thanks, I’ll give this more thought tomorrow & do a few edits. I’ll follow up contacts with people or orgs who can make contributions on this theme.

Sure

I get access denied for those pages though.

On my end, I have just had a Skype call with Anthony from Open Insulin and his session will be up soon. We can go ahead with programming that. There are two more proposals on their way by EchOpen and DIY Science Network. Those should be good to program soon after, the calls I had with them were promising.

I can check with them if they can get it up before Wednesday, or if we can go ahead with programming the sessions.

Ping Zoe

Ok…

One of the sessions to have which we didnt talk about yet is one about Makerspaces and the infrastructure they provide to enhance community care. WeMake experience in Milano is highly relevant - so inviting @zoescope for a chat would be great!

Mental note: make room in the program for…

… intimate plenaries: de-briefings and sharing sessions in the evenings, across the different themes. List of questions here. This works nicely when the floor is opened by someone summing up the day from an angle i.e. could be curators who attended most sessions in a theme. We tried it in Matera at one of our events and it worked really well. @Matthias can advise what to keep/change in the format, since he was one of the curators.

1 Like

world game?

http://www.internationalfuturesforum.com/world-game-workshop

We participated in this game once and I wonder if it might work well at some point over the three days?

There are three ‘acts’; World of Concerns, Possible Futures, Wisdom Council. It might be a good departure from other formats and we found it generated insights that may not have been possible otherwise.

International Futures Forum are engaged in other areas of work, including in health (they work closely with Glasgow Centre for Population Health). Their Three Horizons model I’ve found particularly helpful. Where are we choosing to put our energy - in sustaining horizon 1 or creating horizon 3. Opencare seems to be about building horizon 3. I’m arranging to meet up with them soon to explore relevant connections and whether these might lead to another session.

Comments on the format

Ok @Noemi , some notes from the Matera curator experience (as far as I remember, it’s quite some time since …).

We made sure at least one of us two curators (Amelia and me) would join each session in our theme. Sometimes it was not possible for both of us to attend … I don’t remember why, probably because of having to lead another session on our own in parallel.

The “de-briefings” were an, umh, interesting experience :slight_smile: You’d have to ask audience members if they found this helpful. From my perspective, it was a bit like giving a stand-up-speech. Like, “Please talk 5 minutes about roses.”. It would require to create some ideas and insights on the fly that at least sounded somehow interesting or relevant. Bit like brainstorming on stage :smiley: I still remember an idea I had in this situation, which felt novel to me: “Open source is about re-inventing and re-creating everything that so far only exists in IP protected, closed versions. It’s somehow a waste of time enforced by the laws we have, but so be it.”

As for changes, I’d propose to somehow give curator teams quite some time (30 min) to discuss their insights together before telling the audience. Because every speech / public address becomes clearer and better if the speaker tried to verbalize the ideas before at least once.

1 Like

Compiling ideas from community calls

To help us draft Program v1.0:

• the precision of the invitation & the precision of the activity feels important. Brought to mind the many excellent social initiatives that fo.am has spawned over the years https://fo.am/activities/ and communicated so clearly. (Kate)
  • a mix of game + pragmatic focus on care + working with aspects of real community (Kate)
  • The Chaordic Path: Chaos is creative but the paint never dries, it's impossible to form anything lasting. Order is the about maintaining, ryhthm, routine - it has its place. The overlap between chaos and order is the most productive space for innovation and emergence (Gehan)
  • "rich mix of talks, workshops and performance, and to the kind of alchemy that can happen when you honour the spaces that open in-between" (via Gehan)
  • Easier to have deeper conversations while doing something with my hands; building, cooking (Nadia)
  • leaving enough space where there isn’t a highly curated space. Free space sometimes outside is where the most interesting conversations take place. Scottish Ceilidh - no audience, everyone brought a story or a poem or a song. It creates a convivial atmosphere, doesn’t require perfection - creates sufficient ambience and builds community and warmth (Luke)
  • Connect the different themes of the festival to each other as to not lose the advantage of the diversity represented. A way to do it is clustering around big questions that many of us have, and then involving different perspectives to find answers during more generalized sessions (Winnie)
  • for panels: folks who have their bios would represent similar but institutionally different aspects of the point. Formats could be: each panelists gets ~20mins to talk, then open discussion or have each talk a little about their experiences and then have set questions for the group to discuss? Then the other panelists do the same, there will be three questions for the group to discuss. Helps make it more future oriented versus talking about experiences (Frank)

There were a bunch of concepts mentioned with relation to Harvesting, maybe @Gehan can aggregate the more important ones so we can agree on a format forward.

Storytelling the program

Dropping this here for lack of. We need a blog post (or series) articulating the invitation around precision of activities, which Kate mentioned yesterday - her example: http://cascade.network/five/