Rooftop Gardens with Domestic Recycled Materials

Photo credits: Monica Zacharia, 2015 (that won in the “Greener Cairo” competition from Cairo Climate Talks)

English version below!

[text-direction=rtl]
انا مونيكا معمارية مصرية عايشة في شبرا- القاهرة، وحاليا بعمل تجارب كتيرة فوق سطوح بيتنا وحبيت اشاركم اللى بعمله :slight_smile:

بعد تخرجي من قسم الهندسة المعمارية ؛وكنت وقت الدراسة مهتمة جدًا بالدراسات البيئية, لقيت ان اسلوب البناء فى السوق المصري - وهو أسلوب واحد معظم الناس بتبني بيه - مش هو الاسلوب اللى انا عايزه اشتغل بيه.

كنت دايمًا شايفة ان المعماري ممكن يلاقي حلول للمشاكل اللى بتواجه البلد اللى هو عايش فيه. فى الوقت ده ( اخر 2013 ) كان فى مشكلة كبيرة فى الزبالة فى البلد. كانت واضحة فى كل مكان خصوصًا لما يحصل إضراب من عمال النظافة ( فى الوقت اللي كان بيحصل إضرابات كتيرة فى البلد)

وفكَّرت ان هى دي المشكلة اللي ممكن أحاول اشارك فى حلها ومنها كانت البداية.
فكرت إني أعيد إحياء سطح البيت بأقل تكلفة ممكنة عشان اخلّي إمكانية للناس إنها تعيد التجربة.

أول مرحلة كانت فصل الزبالة:
ده تم على كذا مرحلة عشان دى كانت اول مره نفصل الزبالة فى البيت ومش عارفين إيه اللى ممكن يطلعلنا بسهولة ونستفاد منه، وايه طريقة الفصل الأسهل والمناسبة لأهل البيت
بعد كذا تجربة فى الأخر استقرينا على 3 أنواع وهمَّ:

• المخلفات العضوية غير الحيوانية (بواقي الخضار والفاكهة - من غير لحمة او فراخ او سمك)
  • المرفوضات وهي مش هنعرف نعيد استخدامها بسهولة سواء محتاجة غسيل او معالجات خاصة، ده يشمل بواقي لحمة او فراخ اوسمك وحتى المخلفات الصلبة اللي بتبقى مش نضيفة زي الأكياس المتسخة وغيرها.
  • كل ماهو نضيف وممكن إعادة استخدامه من اكياس واطباق بلاستيك وزجاج وورق وكارتون….

فى نفس الوقت تم عملنا مناقشة مع اهل البيت عشان نوصل لبرنامج بيلبي احتياجاتنا فى السطح وأول حاجة كانت اننا محتاجين نصنع برجولة (مظلة) واقرب مادة مناسبة اننا نجرب بيها كانت الأزايز البلاستيك.
تم تجميع الازايز بكميات كبيرة من البيت ومن دور المناسبات فى المنطقة (ازايز المية المستخدمة فى العزا) وبدأنا نجرب طرق كتيرة للبنا بالأزايز البلاستيك وهي فاضية من غير استخدام مواد لاصقة او وحدات ربط عن طريق تخريمها بشنيورصغير وتركيبها في بعض.
من ديسمبر لسبتمبر 9 شهور بنجرب ونشوف أحسن طريقة في الآخر استخدمنا الخشب كأعمدة للمظلة وحطينا عليه اللوح المصنوع من الأزايز اللي عملناه.
من سبتمبر 2015 لحد دلوقتي لسة المظلة ثابتة فى مكانها ما اتفكتش او وقعت. كل اللى حصل ان فيه تراب دخل جوة الأزايز عشان فيها خروم وفاضية وده كان هدف من تصميمها انها توفر ظل وفى نفس الوقت متعزلش عن اللى حواليها وتكون خفيفة. غطيان الأزايز بتتأثر وبتتحلل بسرعة أكتر من الأزايز نفسها عشان مش من نفس نوع البلاستيك.

فى نفس الوقت كنت بجرب مع المخلفات العضوية لتحوليها لسماد (كومبست) للزراعة على السطح، لأنها بتسبب مشاكل كبيرة اوي في جمع المخلفات.
برده جربنا كذا طريقة (الموضوع شغال من اول 2014 لحد دلوقتي)
اول تجربة كانت مع دودة الأرض وفشلت فشل ذريع على مدار 3 تجارب. ( المفروض الدود ياكل بواقي الخضار والفاكهة ويحولها لسماد لكن التجارب بتاعتى منجحتش).
جربنا بعدها البراميل المخرمة الكبيرة اللي بتلِف على حامل خشب هي اشتغلت كويس لكن بتخلي السماد ينشف اسرع وده مش بيخليه يوصل لدرجة كاملة من التحلل وبيسبب مشاكل بعد كده.
بعد كده اخر طريقة (اللى نجحت) كانت عن طريق انك تحط المخلفات فى جردلين واحد مخرم والتانى لا وتردم عليهم برمل وتسيبهم يتحللوا مع الوقت. الطريقه بتاخد وقت بس بتجيب نتيجة كويسة وسهلة نسبيًا فى التنفيذ، بتستنى لما بتشوف الاول مية في الجردل اللي تحت مش نضيفة فيها شوائب ودود صغير، بعد فترة المية بتبتدي تبقى صافية والدود بيختفي والشوائب بتترسب وساعتها بيبقى خلاص التربة اتكونت. ده بياخد تقريبا من 2-3 شهور فى الصيف و ممكن توصل ل6 شهور فى الشتاء.

بعد كده جت مرحلة تجربة الزراعة بالسماد اللي اتكون (التجربة كانت على زراعة بذور الجرجير).
عملنا 4 اصارى بنفس الحجم والكمية من انواع السماد المتكون فوق السطح بالطرق المختلفة.
واحدة من التجارب نجحت لكن الباقي فشلوا، اللي نجحت كانت مخلوطة بشوية تربة عاديه مع تربة السماد المنتجة فوق السطح من اعادة التدوير. لسة بجرب وبحاول اتعلم شوية اكتر عن الزراعة وانواع البيئات المختلفة، لإن الموضوع بيفرق فى الوزن عشان الزراعة لفوق السطح. التربة مهم تكون خفيفة نسبيًا عشان ما تحمّلش على السطوح وعشان كده اغلب مشاريع زراعة الأسطح في مصر استخدمت البتموس عشان خفيف وزنًا لكن لما ارتفع سعره من 80 جنيه مصري لـ300 جنيه مصري (ده كان السنه اللى فاتت معرفش وصل كام دلوقتى بعد التضخم اللى حصل فى السنه اللى فاتت) في مشاريع منها كتير توقفت.

اخر محاولة الفترة دي اني أكبَّر حجم الصندوق اللي بنعمل فيه السماد واستخدم مساحه اكبر من الجردل ويكون من مادة غير البلاستك لانه بيتأثر بالشمس.جربت اعيد استخدام ألواح الخشبت بتاعة طبالي النقل دي وعملت صندوق كبير أفقي كده شبه الدكة مفتوح من فوق، أخد وقت طويل اننا نقدر نملاه كله حوالي 6 شهور، بس نشِّف السماد بسرعة عشان تقريبا المساحة المفتوحة كانت كبيرة، دلوقتي بجرب تصميم تاني لصناديق الخشب يكون رأسي وفتحته أصغير بكتير، أبتدينا نملاه لكن لسة ما خلصش.

حاليًا انا بكتب بحث ماجستير في الهندسة المعمارية عن تجارنا فوق السطوح وازاي ممكن تتعمم. كمان بحاول افتح شغل ليّ فى المجال ده بعمل شركه ناشئة اسمها “عيد” لإعادة التدويرمن اجل العمارة، فكرتها إننا نشتغل مع الناس اللى عايزة تعمل حاجه زى كده فى ونعيد استخدام المواد المحلية بدل ما نشتري مواد جديدة وكمان ممكن نشتغل بالتشارك مع اصحاب المكان فى اعادة التدوير وتصميم اسطح بيوتهم.
[/text-direction]

Hello all, I am Monica from Egypt (Shubra) currently I am doing a lot of experiments on my rooftop and wanted to share with you what I am doing.

After graduating from the architectural department, and as a student I was very interested in environmental studies, I found out the building method adopted by the Egyptian market, which is mainly one methodology, is not the methodology I wanted to work with.

I always had the idea that architects should find solutions for the problems facing their country/ community or living environment. At this time, 2013, there was a huge problem with garbage collection facing the country, it was very obvious everywhere especially when there was a strike or so done by the workers.( during 2013 there were a lot of strikes in Egypt )

And this was the problem that I wanted to participate in solving, and this was the beginning.
I thought I might revitalize my rooftop with the minimum costs so that the methodology could be adapted for other people to repeat my experiment.

The First step was to separate the garbage. This was done on different stages as this was the first time to separate garbage in my home and we don’t know which garbage can give us easy products to work with and which is the most friendly way to separate for the residents of the house (my family ) In the end we settled on separating into 3 kinds:

• The organic ( that comes not from animal or fish- so mainly fruits and vegetables )
  • The refused waste ( the fish/meat waste, others that need energy or water to clean and be useable )
  • The other “clean” waste that could be used as plastics and so

At the same time a program for “what’s need” on the roof was done and the first step was to build a shade (pergola ) from the plastic bottles ( this was the most suitable material from the waste to experiment with )

Started by collecting a lot of plastic bottles from the house and the surrounding community( as we didn’t have enough ) got them from a center for funerals where they have a lot of them. Then started to experiment to find a good way to build with them without using any adhesive materials.
For 9 months, from December till September 2014, experimenting and in the end decided to go with using wood for the columns with some nails, and using the bottles for the upper part by stacking them together (after poking a small hole on the bottom to link them together. )

Since September 2015 till now, It is still standing up there; just some dust entered the bottles as they were used empty ( the architectural reason was to provide shade without isolating people from the surrounding environment ) Also the lids got affected more than the bottles themselves as they are made from different types of plastic.

During the same time, I was doing other experiments with the organic waste mentioned earlier to make compost to plant on the roof. Of course tried several trials ( still experimenting since 2014)

At first, I tried with worms and this failed drastically ( it was supposed to eat the waste and produce compost, as simple as that, but my trials ended up in failure ) After this, I settled on using a bucket technique, simply putting the waste in 2 buckets the outer one is with holes and then putting some sand on top. Then leave them to disintegrate alone. This takes some time but it is relatively easy and gives good results. ( just wait and see, first, there is dirty water, then water comes out with some worms, then clean water and here you go a perfect compost to use ) This takes around 2 to 3 months in summer and around 6 in winter. ( depends also on the no and area of the holes )

Then comes the stage of actually planting using this compost ( tried with Rucola )
I tried 4 patches, same size and quantity different type of soil, 3 failed and one worked. The one that lived was normal soil mixed with compost, I am still experimenting and learning more about agriculture. The main issue here is the weight, as am planting over a rooftop, it should be light. Normally in Egypt “peat moss” is largely used in rooftop planting as it is light ( projects like the one in El-Darb El-Ahmar is based on peat moss but they are stopped now because the prices jumped from 80 pounds per pack to 300 - this was last year before the current inflation, not sure how much is now but certainly very expensive )

The last trial was to produce more compost using a bigger bucket, so I reused an old wooden pallet to make a big rectangular container with one opened side. Sadly this didn’t work efficiently because of the opened side was big, so now trying to make it with the smaller side opened.

Currently I am writing my master thesis (of a course which related to environmental issues and about what I am doing on the roof ) and trying to open a job market by founding a startup (Eiid) ,recycling for architecture, as we can work with people who are willing to make something like this on their rooftops using local material instead of buying new with their participation in design and hopefully implementation.

5 Likes

So you demonstrated it’s possible to make protection (the pagoda) and food (the composting and growing) out of free material (trash). I like that project! Because it’s very close to “big vision” we have for OpenVillage here at Edgeryders, namely that building a good life is possible (1) in do-it-yourself manner, (2) for free, and (3) while sharing the knowledge freely. Let’s see how far we can get on the way there!

Reading your description, a few connections to other “free and open source” work come to mind. Maybe you know them, maybe you can find an inspiration:

• vocativ TrussFab: A software to design all kinds of objects to be made from PET bottles and 3D-printed connectors. They show a “half geodesic dome” structure made with that technique later in the video, which seems closest to a pagoda in function.

• Precious Plastic: A “DIY industrial” toolkit for recycling plastic. With their compressor machine plans you could build a machine for making roof shingles out of waste plastic.

• Soil Maker: A machine, or just a set of “recipes”, to take all kinds of ingredients like compost, different soils, sand, wood chips, biochar, clay etc. and analyze, grind, mix and cure them into different types of high-quality soils, as needed by different plants. Would be nice to have, as it would encapsulate the task of making soil – which is difficult, as you experienced. Could even become a business idea when done on a larger scale.

The soil maker is just an idea I once had. Which should not mean much, because my expertise in agricultural processing is limited to shelling green coffee beans in hilarious ways :laughing:

(P.S.: Hope you don’t mind I fixed your article’s formatting a bit while reading … “admin habit”. See here for some hints for writing in Arabic script on this platform ­– we could not made it work perfectly yet, but it’s already quite comfortable, I hope.)

1 Like

Hi Monica

It’s interesting reading you, also because it gives a sense of how long these trial and error processes take. It would be very cool to hear more about your experiments, maybe even run some learning-by-building the Reef space workshops. We could be your guinea pigs for developing your venture :slight_smile:

@unknown_author made a big point about how important it is to involve architects in the process of building the openvillage locations. Also he remarked that the world is running out of some building materials like sand. So it’s a timely initative.

What do you guys think, how could we do this?

Hi Monica
i like your project. Unfortunately Egypt is too far away for me to come see it
Bärbel

hi Monica… Good to know someone in Cairo is doing this … When I think about rooftops of Cairo, three things pop up in my head (satellite dishes, pigeon towers and trash) … Here you’ve turned the latter to something positive … maybe you can also work with the unwanted furniture that you can find on rooftops.

Hey @bmfoto so where are you located ? Berlin ?
there could be a meetup or workshop in October there in preparation for the festival in Brussels, may be that’s nearer to you. ( for now :smiley: )

Yes i live in berlin

Would be great to meet perhapse early Oktober
Barbara

@Konnbat hey Karim may be you find this interesting as we discussed you can use the compost in the hydroponics system.
@MonicaZacharia as mentioned above want to learn also more about planting and crops

1 Like

نعم يمكننا ان نستخدم الكمبوست والفيرمي كمبوست فى انظمة الزراعة بدون تربة ( الهيدروبونيكس) و هذا مطلوب للنباتات و يقوم بامدادها بالعناصرالغذائية
المطلوبة لها و قد يوفر علينا الكثير من النفقات فى استخدمانا للمحاليل المغذية المتخصصة للزراعة بدون تربة و يوجد نوعان مطلوبين لنا الول هو عمليه تدوير المخلفات العضوية بطريقة المكمورة العادية و الاخري باستخدام ديدان الارض ( الريدويجلر ) و نحن نتلك القدرة على انشاء الانظمة الحديثة للكمبوس العادى و كمبوست الدود و ارجو ان نتبادل المعرفة فى هذاالامر . شكرا لكم جميعا

2 Likes

[quote=“MonicaZacharia, post:1, topic:6755”]
environment ) Also the lids got affected more than the bottles themselves as they are made from different types[/quote]

[text-direction=rtl]

اهلا و مرحبا بيكى مونيكا

اسمى كريم القزاز رايس مجلس ادارة كن نبات

انا تخصصى الزراعة بدون تربة ( الهيدروبونيكس ) و دا مجال الدراسة و الشغل بتاعى و شغل كيان كن نبات

كنت حابب اننا نتعاون مع بعض فى الشغل .

طيب احنا بنعمل ايه ؟؟؟

احنا شغالين ورش زراعة بدون تربة للجمهور من سن 10 سنين حتى 110 سنة و كمان بنعمل بنعل ورش زراعة تقلييدية
و كمان بنعمل ورش عمل فى الكمبوستينج و الفيرمي كمبوستنج
و كمان بننشاء مزارع تجارية بالهيدروبونيكس
اتمنى اننا نتواصل و نشتغل مع بعض و نفكر ممكن نعمل ايه شغل للريف فى تونس او المغرب
دى البيدج بتاعتنا اتمنى انك تعملى زيارة لينا

[/text-direction]

1 Like

Inspiring post, thank you @MonicaZacharia !

Some inspiration from something that is more in my field of expertise:

1 Like

@mohabessam check @MonicaZacharia 's work in Shubra, did you have any similar experience with building with waste material in El Ezba project. and if composting is relevant to El-ezba local community ?

Before I joined Ezbet Project, they built a room for one of the locals using plastic bottles. Unfortunately, I wasn’t involved in that project. However, I got the chance to see it and had the technique explained to me.

Firstly, they would fill the plastic bottles with dirt and compress it.
Secondly, they would lay the bottles in rows on-top of each other with half-a-bottle shift between each row. Moreover, each row would be flipped 180 degrees around the vertical axis to ensure the walls verticality (since the bottle is broader at its bottom).
Lastly, they would use earth mortar to fill in-between the bottles.

The room was constructed about 3 or 4 years ago and is still standing to this day.

2 Likes