Session: Complexities of Water - Investigating Clean Water for Community

I scouted the neighbourhood of the Festival venue for suitable bodies of water this weekend.

There’s two lakes nearby Plage Flagey (Etang d’Ixelles), which are not so suitable since you cannot reach the water. You can do it easily in theory, and the place is actually quite nice, but you’re not allowed it seems like. They are supposedly really close to the venue though. Photos below

Another option is the lake in Bois de la Cambre, which is a 30+ min walk from Place Flagey. Could be shorter depending on the exact address of the venue (@noemi ?). You can reach the water easily. Not sure if it’s allowed, but we should ask if a demo is allowed (not the actual fishing). The distance is a problem: a one hour round trip doesn’t fit the schedule. Public transport takes as long. Perhaps a few rental cars? Photo below (click on map to see full).

The last option I didnt’t have the chance to visit, but on Google Maps it also looks suitable: Parc Leopold. Closer to Place Flagey (20 min walking) and the water is accessible. Same remarks as Bois de la Cambre. Photo below

In any case we’ll need to figure out if fishing is allowed or if a fishing demo is allowed. Thoughts? @albertorey @rachel @matteo_uguzzoni

Winnie, thanks! I think that the Leopold park could work, I will probably put it in the middle of the game, so there is plenty of time to go and come back to the location.
Now I will come up with a suggestion about how to integrate that in the game, then we can decide if it works or not @albertorey, hi, we are thinking about integrating a small demo in the game that will kick off the conference. You can read the first thoughts we had here

2 Likes

This sounds awesome guys, happy the flyfishing is part of the urban game!

Let me or @natalia_skoczylas if more inquiries need to be made… But our availability onsite in Brussels will be full time only starting end of September.

I still need to check if we are actually allowed to do it :wink:

1 Like

So I’ve checked the legal aspect. There’s of course a rulebook for the use of public parks: https://www.brussel.be/sites/default/files/bxl/REGLEMENT%201%20dec%202014%20DEF2.pdf (Both in French and Dutch).

TLDR:

• Fishing is strictly forbidden, so we’ll need to argue that we are doing a demo and not actual fishing. Which might not ‘fly’
  • We need to file an application and probably pay a fee. We can avoid the fee if we do it as a nonprofit, which I’m not sure we can do with our Flemish nonprofit. Then it needs to get approved still.
  • We need to pay a deposit, which is minimum €150 (cash 5 days up front at their treasury).
  • We cannot put structures or whatever ‘heavier’ equipment there, as this makes the application more expensive.

… if we want to go that way. @matteo_uguzzoni @albertorey what do you think?

Communication (how to reach an audience as eg. an artist) and storytelling are becoming an intriguing topic of conversation. See also this post on Risks of a too beautiful story-telling that sparked a lot of reactions. @iamkat also mentioned it: how do you disseminate the outputs of your project?

On the one hand, it takes a lot of effort to get your stuff out there. We can testify to that with our lab: it takes a lot of work, especially when what you do is relatively obscure. Then getting people to actually care is harder still. On the other hand, painting a rosy picture, using buzzwords and rubbing shoulders with those who have the means to take your project to the next level can also be toxic. Which factors make it harder or easier? Which kinds of obstacles do we encounter? How should we make these highly consequential, but often cloudy judgment calls? How is it all connected to business models and funding?

I am personally extremely interested in a session around this topic. Since you mention it in this session proposal, I think it would be a great topic for the discussion part of the session @albertorey @noemi @gehan @woodbinehealth. We can open it up for others with similar or completely different experiences on communication and going out there to ‘sell’ your ideas to your relevant audience.

Pinging those involved in the discussion so far for their thoughts @nadia @baderdean @alberto @unknown_author @johncoate @HadeerGhareeb @Yosser @MurielAboulrouss

It helps I think when the person responsible for the message, outreach and fundraising also either manages the on-the-ground work of the mission itself, or knows enough to do it, but works closely with someone to whom it is delegated. Funders usually want to see a main person who hands-on manages the work and is also the main champion of the idea. But if it is more than one person they have to be very tight in their day-to-day understanding of what is going on. When the message gets separated from the work, credibility drops.
Maybe that project had this disconnect. But I bet it made good copy in the annual reports of the big orgs that funded it.

It helps to lay out a vision of where you want to go and where you think you can go, then describe what you need to accomplish it. It might be interesting to have seen the grant proposals for that tree project to see what was promised.

And posing with Macron…hard to say if that helped or hurt fundraising and overall awareness. I know he made some boneheaded comment awhile back about how good to them France was as a colonial power, which didn’t make him look too sharp. But usually those photo-ops gain you more than they lose.

This isn’t exactly parallel, since it comes from business, but I was given some very sage advice by the man who ran the Chronicle Publishing Company, owner of SF Gate, to whom I had to pitch my budget, secure funding, and who helped me along the way.

First in budgeting e told me that when I made my revenue projections, it was better to predict a lower number even if it showed less or even no profit - if that was my real number. because whatever I declared was what he was going to hold me to. He would not tolerate over-promising and then under-delivering.

The second thing was when you have good news and bad news, always lead with your bad news because then your good news will be believed. It won’t necessarily if you lead with good news. And as you might expect, many do lead with their good news…

nice

1 Like

Mmm I have a hunch. We’ve experiemented with some things in edgeryders. If they are turned into shared routines I think we can get around some of the issues

are we still thinking about doing some water sampling?
for microbes/protists/biotic index calcs??
if we want to do microbes, we need plates and incubators etc organised in advance. A DIYbunsen burner is very easy with alcohol, a jam jar and a paper wick! :slight_smile:

for the biotic index, some easy access shoreline is useful… (my students did it on a shallow river)

We can and got all of the stuff ready to use from our lab here! For biotic index and sampling we don’t need permission and the water is accessible in parc Leopold. Sampling can be part of the urban game, right @matteo_uguzzoni ? And then we can do more in depth analysis in your session @rachel

For the fishing itself I haven’t had the time to contact the autorities.

any chance of Levine or other selective media, in addition to ordinary LB, if microbial counts are done?

during the urban game, ’sterile’ conical tubes would be useful, to be labelled wherever we take a few samples, for use in analyses (plating, nitrates, etc - plankton, amoeba, algae)?
thx!
best,
Rachel
p.s.
if you know anyone with biosensor bacteria for volatile pollutants, you have to make sure to leave no air bubble, btw ! :wink:

please don’t also forget the big micronuclei hunt(s)! on our cheek cells (tooth brushes to be provided, with AGiR! mini logo would be cool, huh??)!!

ciao for now, RA

I’m not fully up-to-date with what we have in the lab. @niekd is helping out with the experiments at the festival and better with this stuff. Can you pitch in?

Let’s make a list with stuff we need and then work towards gathering everything. I’ve made a spreadsheet here, please add everything you can think of: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bJF0GLmmx7s9SofkXFJ-MvSmD0eFPsWWUVDXIxZl8wQ/edit?usp=sharing

We should get a good overview by the end of next week, so we can order what’s missing or reach out to people to bring/support us with stuff.

1 Like

put in a few things on the list…

just in case, here is a sheet like my old students used for calculating the ‘biotic index’ (indicating river health)…

1 Like

Cool! Re-mineralizing? Haven’t heard about it. If you can get your hands on some, we can do some tests :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay! @matteo_uguzzoni does this fit in the urban game? Participants just need to have access to water, which they do in Parc Leopold

1 Like

my cousin uses a sort of block charcoal water purifier, Best Water Filter for Drinking at Home | The Strategist but I don’t expect the one pictured here to affect microbial water quality, which is what I mainly thought we could test - more physico-chem things (chlorine, and maybe some metals, but maybe not heavy metals - they say the brita charcoal filters don’t help for lead or iron, for instance)… Maybe we could test for nitrates etc (we have some fish-tank kits reagents at Hackuarium) and pH?? (they talk about going alkaline in that Kishu review)
Actually, the head of the fundamental microbio dept here (at UNIL, Jan van der Meer) thinks using things like Brita filters is less good than just drinking ordinary tap water also because they could potentially provide a carbon source for bacterial growth!! (after all my years using them, I was not happy to hear this…)