A new phase in POPREBEL ethnography: calling a whole-team meeting on Friday 15th

Sounds good, let’s leave the research summary for another occasion then.

Sorry if I missed this but are we meeting this Friday, as it’s Good Friday? It’s fine by me but I’m thinking of our Catholic Italian and Central European colleagues. :slight_smile:

Also, I need to pick your collective brains:

Djan (who is returning to the project on 9 May) chopped up one of the interviews that I had coded and transferred it to the individual Q&A format but the codes didn’t show up on the new version. Shouldn’t the codes have transferred?

This Italian is OK with Good Friday. Are there others in the team?

I am not sure. I need to inquire. A clue is that now annotations refer to the post version (see).

I agree with others that findings should probably be presented on a different day, and Friday should focus on logistics of shifting gears towards writing.

It seems to have worked with other interviews that Djan transferred, e.g. this one and this one.

I’ll need to go through them all individually and work out which ones worked and which ones didn’t.

I’ve gone through all the transferred German interviews and it’s only in the first one (OLD: martin_IH, NEW: GER01Mirko40a) that the initial codes have transferred. I don’t know what we did differently for that one. Will I need to recode the others?

Hold it for now, yesterday I opened an issue.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the answer seems to be yes: What is the correct way to "break down" an annotated post, so that annotations are preserved? · Issue #228 · edgeryders/discourse-annotator · GitHub

Here are the slides from the meeting.

WP2 Reset meeting slides.pdf (118.6 KB)

Here is the link to the tab of the: project phases - data collected - deliverable(s) to download, esp. for @Jan

I wonder how I did it with that one interview!

@jitka.kralova, do I remember rightly that you managed to transfer Czech interviews with their codes?

That would be a question for @Jirka_Kocian

At the last meeting we decided to use a GDrive folder to collaborate on the final PORPEBEL ethno report. EDGE will of course take point, but everybody in @rebelethno have important material to contribute.

Here is the link to the drive. If you, for some reason, do not have access, please request it and I will authorize you.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nze0QHQBcJc1xxwygYwGEiaxGO1sKsHF?usp=sharing

Hi @Nica, I’ve added the German insights, the German interview guide (in German, I’m afraid) and the description of the methodology that I included in the UCL ethics application to the Google Drive folder. Let me know if you need any more information.

Hello all! @Jan and I have been discussing the organization of the final report over the last couple of weeks. I added a preliminary Table of Contents (to help us organize our thinking/planning) to the Google Drive for the project, based on your answers to the surveys about the three cases (5 key insights, etc.)

As you will see, the first part of each case study is the pandemic context. I would like to ask @Maniamana @jitka.kralova and @Richard if it’s possible for each of you to write a draft for that for the Polish, Czech, and German contexts, respectively. I imagine it being something like 800-1000 words, that both gives a brief overview of the pandemic context / trajectory in a given country, and talks about how that setting informs the ethnographic material. Is that something all of you would be able to do over the next week/week and a half?

Also, as you will see if you click on the link, @Jan and I have started doing some brainstorming on the TOC document – and we invite you to do the same. So, if any of you think of something that could be interesting or relevant to any of the concepts and topics in the TOC – another comparable political situation, or a book or article that resonates, please leave a comment on the doc, so we assemble our collective intelligence on this.

I also have a question for @alberto@Jan and I were discussing yesterday how to get at the gendered perspectives. Can the visualizations of the networks be done by gender? So, all male respondents, for example? Or just all female respondents?

3 Likes

No – and we do not even know the gender of participants to Edgeryders, as we make a point of not profiling users. We do know the gender of informants in interviews.

in principle, we could use probabilistic instruments like Python gender guesser. From a data protection (hence ethics) point of view, this is better than storing gender information in our database. This would lead to adding a “gender” variable to our “participants” file, and based on that we could indeed induce CCNs based on (expected value of) gender. This does require some fresh programming, though, I cannot produce it in an hour.

1 Like

Sounds good @Nica, thanks for the update.

Do you want like a very general context about how the pandemic has evolved in each country, or more specifically the political responses of each government, or the anti-covid movement…etc. could you specify please? Thanks :slight_smile:

Also week / week and a half sounds good, if we can set a deadline, that would be helpful.

I was thinking for the interviews, and as one of the visualizations to do after the coding is complete. Basically if it were possible I would love to see gendered variants of each visualization that comes out of the interviews. Possibly also by income strata, but I don’t know if we have that data for the ethnographic informants.

How about Friday the 17th for a deadline? @Richard @Maniamana

2 Likes

@jitka.kralova – also, to answer your question. I am thinking something like:

around 200-300 words on just the general trajectory of the pandemic in the country – number of lockdowns, strong/weak gov’t measures, public health “angle” (like, did they lean towards containment, herd immunity, some mixture etc).

Then the rest specifically talking about how this set up the context and backdrop for the ethnographic research – what was the cultural climate around Covid and the government responses, and how that shaped your study. So, how did it end up being an entry point into trust-building and interviews, how did it “curate” the issues that people cared about, etc.

1 Like