Acquaintance with the materials.
I started off this experimental exercise with researching the existing bio materials. I was surprised with the inventive ways people figured out some of these “recipes”. My first concern was my very limited knowledge and understanding of biochemistry.
Obliviously I wouldn’t find a groundbreaking solution on a molecular level. So I decided to do it the way I know best. So I just started trying things out hoping to bump into something cool.
I was fascinated by a mycelium and kombucha basics workshop I followed. So the first thing I did after the workshop was trying to grow some kombucha myself. I was really hyped to try some things out on my homegrown material. But then the waiting period started. The first days checked on it daily. I after a week or so my interest was fading away. I started to get rather frustrated with the slow growing pace.
After a day or 12 I decided to harvest my kombucha ‘sheet’. It wasn’t that thick yet but I was tired of waiting and wanted to start experimenting. I washed it with biological laundry detergent, laid it on a wooden plate and started waiting again for it to dry. So it took me more or less two weeks to end up with a less than a mm thick sheet of kombucha ‘leather’.
And then it happened I wanted to remove my sheet from the wooden plate… and I made a tear straight through the middle.
Conclusion: I kinda gave up on working with kombucha.