IMPORTANT NOTE: Please now document all bugs and function requests on the GitHub. It’s easy to use and there’s no need for us to duplicate that effort here.
If you need a sandbox to discuss these before you put them on the GitHub, you can use the forum below to do so and @amelia, @alberto and @matthias can help turn your thoughts into a clear feature request. Otherwise, read through the list on the Git Hub, and add anything missing We need to prioritise these in terms of importance (what you need now to make your work doable vs what would enhance your work but you don’t need in a pressing fashion), so you can also use this space for such discussions.
Please use this wiki to document wishlist items, which we can convert into formal requests if they are doable within the scope of our project/we can experiment with them in a Masters of Networks.
Open Ethnographer Bug and Feature Sandbox
Are there any bugs in the current system that you need resolving? What functions do you need Open Ethnographer to have in the short-term?
(Once added to Git Hub, please delete from here!)
The sort by UPDATED doesn’t seem to be working as it should. For example I change the code’s name, add a translation (thus updating it, I think) and it is not listed under updated. (@Wojt is this added to Git Hub? Just checking with you before I remove it here).
Some newly assigned automatically merge with other codes of the same name assigned by other ethnographers, while others don’t (the default, which is ideal, is for them not to automatically merge). (@Wojt same question as above)
Annotations featured in individual code page: when clicked, OE automatically displays the post including the coded annotation on top ONLY IF this post is in the first page. This means that annotations in later pages require ethnographers to click next, ctrl+F the annotation, and repeat this until the post is found.
Open Ethnographer Wishlist (in perceived order of difficulty)
Finding posts to code
- List of posts that have not been coded.
Coding for SSNA
- Toggle on/off in Open Ethnographer backend re appearance in SSNA
- Designate codes as “pattern” rather than semantic codes in backend (related to 1, but allows for a more granular categorisation of “off” codes).
Being able to see everyone else’s codes as suggestions on a project is great in theory. In practice, though, it means that when you select someone else’s code, the annotation automatically falls under their code, and it becomes difficult to check that you meant the same thing as them.
- Long-term solution : create colour-coded differentiation between ethnographers in the same project, so you can see whose code you are selecting in the drop-down.
Airtable Medium-Term Request
@amelia requests an import of our Sheets codebooks into the Open Ethnographer backend (code + code descriptions), and then a regular import of OE data into Airtable, which we will use as our codebook from now on (@hugi has set this up for BBU). This way we can work with the data as we create it, rather than using parallel processes which don’t sync. Until we have a codebook in OE, this seems like the best medium-term solution. @danohu @matthias @hugi, can we do this as soon as possible/have a conversation about it? @alberto happy to update you as well.
- Easily add and edit code definitions (the fewer clicks the better, ideally doable on main page with code list + definitions).
- Drag and drop hierarchical relationships (on main page).
- Ability to comment on each others’ codes.
- Generate a list of annotations where the two concepts co-occur. Ability to generate a co-occurrence annotation list of all the annotations where two codes co-occur and/or where either of two codes occurs, but in the same post (so both intersection and union). This requires fixing two things: 1. not being able to assign multiple codes to a single highlighted text in one go. 2. Creating a way of generating this list.