At the Edge of learning

Hmmm…

(it would be nice to be able to see the post I am responding too while typing, is this a generally percieved problem?)

Some things a little out there Nadia, but in general you got it. The sum of funding generated in full was closer to 50,000 euro, we generated 12,000 locally and this was topped up by the OCounty Enterprise board.

By aligned I mean lined up, just meaning that the guy had agreed to build the resource and I sent out mails to each cafe round the country. I got very little feedback from them.

Our connection to Foroige is through another project, one the police run to engage young offenders, they do this through Foroige, who claim to be a national youth organization and yet respond to our efforts to do meaningful work in the ways outlined above. The position is clear.

I don’t want specific help from the edgeryder community on the project in Birr, this makes no sense to me, I never help because I am asked to, I help because I can, perhaps I’m wrong to give others the same credit. I work like an ant, if I have useful info or can do something immediately to help the group I do it. If it is not possible for whatever reason, I stop trying to force it. Right now, this is not possible, I will not force it, but if it becomes possible, I’ll be ready. If collaboration makes this possible then let’s do it, I have the cultural and artistic and multi media connections to make something like this possible on a wide scale…with the right approach of course, the rest is about forming a constellation of the willing with access or connection to schools…we all went to them, therefore we all have them, the younger we are the fresher the connection. If the schools are willing to form partnerships, and the relative external body of learner communities are in place, then this is the basis for a grant/fund application to the EUropen Commission. If we are being asked to present at events such as cited in the header of this thread, then there is a weight to any such application proven by the need expressed in this (old) PDF on the macro scale, and the instance I have cited on the micro scale. In this case…

What can be useful is the general structure, if you are to propose immediately applicable program’s that will have the greatest effect then space and time are neccesary. Following the logic of scales it’s clear that if we are to both full the gap, and follow Machiavelli’s sound advice (of not changing the existing structure) then summer holidays and the use of school buildings is the directly applicable response. It is doable now without changing what exists already.

Then on dealing with the problem of goal based learning in outmoded one way stagnant educational environments I assert that we can introduce self selected education in these spaces utilising the community’s own populations along with tech enabled learning resources and by engaging certain technical and cultural networks. Again this would require knowing what is available locally in terms of knowledge skills and abilities aswell as linking these to national networks of practitioners in various fields and involves a step beyond the SCIM concept to a more personally mapplicable resource.

So…is there a next step? I’m pretty clear on that not being my decision to make.

My Bad Forgot to copy original post into mission report editor!

On it, thanks for the heads up!

should we still brush it up or let it die?

I supposed to be driving the doc, but it all went a bit slow and deadline has passed.

Is anyone interested to brush it up still, or we let it rot and move on to something else?

Here is the original draft https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LqX1mHnwvSpXwwl7akjdOxTDOqm9sOyNVsFESxyEAR8/edit#

And bits of synthesis:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CeesYh5vu4SXPyUFw_g0rWHiK1u-DHTZc6MwRoG5sO8/edit

It’s been submitted

Hey K. I saw that action had stalled and drew together the paper based on what contributions where there. It’s on Scribd now and credits everyone who contributed (I hope I haven’t missed anyone, if you know I have point it out?). I think we managee to get together something interesting :slight_smile:

Here it is: Edgeryders Community Paper: Learning To Live | PDF | Non Governmental Organization | Self Harm

ah ok. good.

you some sort of genious of Chaos Editing :slight_smile: im not.

Basically yes

Yea, that was the first thing that came to my mind. We have the solutions because we have hundreds of people finding solutions for themselves through the years. We could, and maybe should, easily leave it to others to determine the scale and scope on which these solutions can be applied …

From another perspective, if you want to get an idea done it’s better to just inspire somebody else with it because everybody loves to pursue own ideas. So we better leave some thoughtwork over for them ;D