Avantgrid: Joule de vivre!

We’re planning a project at Blivande that ties into both Trust in Play and Sci-Fi Economics Lab. It’s a game we’re calling “Avantgrid: Joul de vivre” and we turned in an application for funding for it today. You can read up about it if you google translate this page, but it’s basically an idea to make a solarpunk larp/festival to which you could only get a ticket by trading in stored energy or the potential of generating energy at the event. Furthermore, the history of movement of the electrons must be accounted for and follow rules set up by the participants. This process culminates in a 4-day festival and role playing game where only the gathered energy can be spent. We’re hoping to build a little solar punk town where this would be played out.

To guide your imagination, we’re thinking that the rules could for example discourage spending loads of money on a fancy factory bought wind turbine, and encourage something more DIY and upcycled. We might also want to reward ingenuity and aesthetics. It should also be accessible through an “easy” way out to gain entry - there will be bikes powering generators on which you can spend 8 hours in total in the weeks running up to the event.

To be clear, this is not an Edgeryders event, but we will be involving the community and the Sci-Fi Economics lab is explicitly mentioned in the application as a network we want to involve. We will know in a few months if this gets funded!

Ping @alberto, @noemi, @matthias, @matteo_uguzzoni

6 Likes

Excellent. Way to go. Let’s keep working!

1 Like

Hello @hugi I read the description it’s an amazing project, I really hope you get funded it will be a very interesting speculative experience!
Yann Seznec, a game designer that is in Residence right now here at MICA where I work, did a project last year where he tried to create a water powered videogame, it was really interesting because the amount of natural energy necessary to activate a micro bitmap screen was incredible, he had to build a 4 meters tower to have enough energy.
Also another artist that is working with energy on the basic level that could be interesting as an example in the world creation is Lucas Yasunaga, he creates electronic bugs that are activate by wind or light, http://electronicentomology.com/ and it’s interesting how efficient they are, and in comparison how efficient we are as humans.

Also yes, inside Trust in Play there are passionate LARP and miniLARP creators that will be really excited!

2 Likes

Wow, I LOVE this!

If we get funded, we should definitely involve TIP. Actually, I think I will just make a cross-post right away.

2 Likes

For inspiration, take a look at The Human Powered Student Building, an artistic concept for converting a 750-room student building to be powered and heated by human power alone.

Or for more practical insights, there’s a (great as always) Low-Tech Magazine article “Could We Run Modern Society on Human Power Alone?”.

1 Like