Brainstorming for the call: Behavioural, social and cultural change for the Green Deal

Let me know after Monday’s call if you will need some help regarding this part so I can do some research and also ask my colleagues in different regions and cities.

2 Likes

Let’s prioritise countries where core crew is physically , based. Makes life much easier. so Belgium, Stockholm

1 Like

Govt will depend on where we want to work. Belgium, Sweden is fairly easy and they are small countries with accessible public administrations. If it is framed in terms of Covid recovery that will make it ALOT easier to get people’s attention right now…

We had one participant from Länsstyrelsen Uppsala län, Regional Growth Advisor

The call is very general and include pretty everything (maybe you better understand the target?), which means having a large degree of autonomy.

From my side I think I can contribute:

• to the methodological section, with complementing the ethnographic (digital ethnographic?) research with geographical perspective (including participatory fieldwork);

• to the case identification and study.

The only important thing for me is that I need to have my home institution involved as a partner (because I need to “justify” my workload).
I think there is a good fit between ethnographic research focusing on the social behavioural changes or reaction to socio-environmental transition and human/cultural geography focusing on social group’s relationship with the space (both the physical and social) practices changes are (or should) occur - which is also crucial to link it to the perception and understanding of climate change because our experience strictly dependent on the context. there are several communities that can be involves. It would be probably good to select a “category” of communities whose practices we want to compare across Europe. For instance, frame and links/made comparable the different fieldwork on the base of shared geographically disadvantaging areas (such as urban marginal(ised) areas, urban fringes or peri-urban); or on their social characteristics (being elderly people or young unemployed etc.). I can help at contact-making and work myself with relevant communities in Italy, there are many of them.

First thing that comes to my mind for instance it that in Turin (about 1 billion inhabitants, N-W of Italy) a University-Students-City Council network is involved in mid-Nov in theClimathon 2019 (Climathon 2019 | UniToGO) (organised by impulse of the EU Climate Kic initiativehttps://www.climate-kic.org/).

Should we prefer something more, say, grassroots, different kind of communities can be reached (farmers or urban agriculture communities against climate change; startuppers in sustainability-oriented technological poles…).

Turin, together with Naples, Milan, Bergamo and other cities officially declared the climate emergence last year -i.e. the city council should be in theory interested in joining (should this be an asset for the project).

There is the possibility that in a month, I will need to join another university, but I have contacts there too (and a large community of colleagues in geography that can help with communities’ involvement).
Should you need also Belgian cases, I know quite some people in Ghent active on climate transition (but you already have belgian cases I think).

2 Likes

I spoke to Climate-KIC.

News (not so good)

• They will not lead. Already involved in many proposals, etc.

• They might participate, but even there they have already been contacted by another org who wants to run in the same call. If we go ahead, it’s either have C-KIC in two proposals or they will have to have an internal process to pick one of the two consortia. This is what they did for PARTENAIRE, by the way, and then our consortium won.

• They have doubts on the call itself. It seems too “behaviorist” (behavioral change sees as an individual decision, rather than a collective one); the scope is very broad; and it seems “almost like a call for tenders”. Specifically, there is a worrying sentence in there:

Specific topics for case studies should be co-decided with the European Commission services involved in implementing the European Green Deal.

What is that supposed to mean? Are you not meant to choose your case studies yourself? I would love @martin’s opinion on this.

• Pay attention to MORRI indicators. However, we do have a partner here.

Decisions

• Alberto to reach out and broaden potential partners. This includes the Long-Termism Deep Demo internal channels: U Turku could even be a consortium leader.
  • We participate to the EU Green Deal Call networking event organized by C-KIC for Monday (calendar event). @marina, @IvanC and me will be there. @amelia, it overlaps partially with the ethno meeting, does it make sense for you to reschedule the latter and attend?
1 Like

here perhaps we could have a chat with @FrankDieters and Ronald Vermeeren (with whom I have been meaning to connect Frank about potential collaboration after a call Ronald and I had this week)?

@alberto, I am confused about this post + the goal and purpose of the call today, and particularly my role in it and the goals we have for the call. Can we talk briefly to clarify? @hugi potentially as well.

Is our goal to tag along with the other org who want to run the same call, or to propose our own? Or is the goal of participating in the call today to do a factfinding mission to decide?

Yes, sure.

1 Like

That would be great!

ok - have a quick look at the contents of this call for proposals? In the meanwhile I will craft an introductory email to get us started!

Hi, sorry not sure whether this pertains to the discussion on LC-GD-10-2-2020 call:
Bojan Bobic has contacted Francesca Rosignoli to invite her contribution in an EU Green Deal call; and Francesca contacted me (as we work together in Energy Justice Italy team). If this was intended for this call, let’s make the connection!

1 Like

@bojanbobic and @marina see Chiara’s question above?

hi Chiara, do you guys have a leader for the consortium?

Yes, let’s connect! Just chatting with Marina today to get on the same page, then we can all move forward with what we have and coordinate a call ASAP!

1 Like

Hi Nadia, what do you exactly mean with “consortium”?
If you mean Energy Justice Italy, this is an informal research group which gather some interdisciplinary academic scholar from different institutions. Not sure whether and how this can be included amongst official partners but it can perhaps serve as local group- despite has no local-based activities. As for the leader, Francesca Rosignoli was the one who get the idea of gathering us together (not a formal leader though).
Otherwise, if you are referring to the activities I mentioned in my older post, the reference institution is the university of Turin - Dep Socio-Economic Science. I can serve as team leader here.
Hope this answer!

Hi, have been disconnected for a while and may be I lost some updates particularly by @amelia and @nadia. Are we proceeding on this call and is there any abstract proposal to contribute to?

Hi Chiara! Sorry, the update on this: we estimated we don’t have enough capacity at the moment to build partnership on our own and find the coordinator. In the meantime we were invited to join a forming consortium for the same call so we will be integrating our workpackage there.

In any case, for future applications in case we want to pursue a specific idea we will start much earlier :slight_smile: Keeping an eye on the upcoming Horizon Europe!

Thanks Marina, I read your report about forming consortium, but I was unsure about whether this was relevant to this call. Let’s keep in contact!

1 Like