Can OurGhema grow to be a model for local development?

Update. Today @Yosser, Monsieur Belgith (her father) and I had an informal meeting (in French!) at Ourghema for me to lay out the vision and get some advice.

What I learned:

• Tunisia is regionalized. All ministries are represented by their local offices, and coordinated by an appointed governor. Additionally, there is a regional assembly, whose chairman is elected. This is an advantage, as we can attempt, through Ourghema, to build a strong working relationship with the Médenine governorate. M. Belgith says the mood is of openness and goodwill, though security is an important concern for Tunisian authorities. He does not see why local authorities would not look with favor to an effort to establish a model for local development in Médenine. He himself is the head of the Economy department in the governorate. Once the relationship is established, we can ask for help for things like visas.
  • Yosser herself is strongly in favor of trying this model of partnership. I, however, did not ask her to make a decision, as it is important that she is not pushed into it. This might be a lot of work, and we absolutely must not break the good stuff already happening at Ourghema.
  • Yosser is incorporated as an independent (personne physique). This was done to qualify for a young entrepreneur loan (update: it was a loan, not a grant), which she got; but it may be a bit lightweight for some of the stuff we want to do. So, we might want to investigate other alternatives (NGO? Company? Social enterprise?).
  • @dorsaf’s biohacking club is kicking off soon (next week?) in the space. Dorsaf herself is in Germany now, not clear if I get to meet her.

What I propose to do, is this: after Yosser has made her decision, we make a little ad-hoc team to work on this idea. In practice, I would like the involvement of:

• @nadia and @hugi. Goal: pick up the WB relationship and steer the 2019 contract towards a model of local development. @matthias can also help here in terms of big picture thinking and inspiration.
  • @anique.yael and myself, as the RezNet: weave this opportunity into our 2019 H2020 campaign.
  • @noemi, @alex_levene, @bob, @natalia_skoczylas, as the Culture Team: keep an eye out for opportunities. There might be calls where an African/MENA partner is a plus, or a requirement.
  • and naturally @zmorda, as the Edgeryders main person in Tunisia. Here the work would look like something similar to what Anique does for research in Europe: go to events, look for opportunities, put us on the map.

What does everyone think?

5 Likes

I am unsure as to which 2019 contract you are referring, none such exists afaik? I wouldn’t count on WB at all so it’s better that you move forward assuming little if no involvement from them.

1 Like

Noted. Let’s think in terms of a generic local development project that we can then pitch to any donor present in the region.

Thank you @Alberto for this report from the field :)!
I am now recycling the RebelVillage for the next Creative Europe call and Ourghemma could be a fantastic partner but there cannot be any individual as a partner - we need organizations to join us. I guess this won’t be possible by the 11th of December, when we have the first deadline, but if @zmorda considers getting another legal form, then I’d love to discuss one of our existing cultural project ideas (and her plans for the next year or two) for the early application cycle in the next round or other local funds.

Ourghema is @Yosser. Zmorda is “our agent in Tunisia”.

My fingers are often faster than my brain :slight_smile:

@Yosser & co, sending a lot of encouragement and well done @alberto for never giving up opportunity costs :stuck_out_tongue:
What we’ve discovered as we look for funding sources - and I’m not sure it’s the best way to increase our chances! - but we are looking for places to park our idea that is recurring often by now: we want to offer edgeryders community members the opportunity to embed themselves into a place. That;s at the core of all the projects we dream: creating learning and mentorship opportunities where people spend time together in a place (even if it’s residencies in big rented apartments!) and work towards a common goal. The longer the better.

That means that any collaboration should involve edgeryders camping in Medenine and working out of Ourghema for a sustained period - maybe online before but then in a site marathon + event.

3 Likes

Thank you Alberto! I do strongly believe that we should sign a partnership for that it really eases the movement I make for Edgeryders events in Medenine, as I will be your legal partner.
and I strongly agree with @Noemi in terms of having different events like we had (Social Innovation Camp, Hackathon,… this sort of collaboration are a huge support to the space :slight_smile:
However I would to like to see how it goes for this [quote=“natalia_skoczylas, post:8, topic:9167”]
discuss one of our existing cultural project ideas (and her plans for the next year or two) for the early application cycle in the next round or other local funds.
[/quote]

So I am open to anything

Ok. I would suggest a call around this. @Yosser, @zmorda, @natalia_skoczylas, @noemi, @anique.yael and @hugi if they have the time. I also saw this by @amiridina, so she maybe also wants to participate?

Tentative agenda:

• General features of an Edgeryders-Ourghema partnership. Explore the possible synergies and positive externalities from working together.

• Due diligence on Natalia’s proposal. It probably won’t work, because of the time required for Yosser to set up an org, but it makes sense to gauge what it would take, because this allows us to get a feel of what kind of money we need to make it all worthwhile.

2 Likes

Great to see this moving! Happy to join a call when it’s scheduled pending other meetings/ timezones etc.

1 Like

@noemi, is it too much to ask you to lead this? Maybe as a first shot one of the old guard should convene.

I’m pretty far away but I fully support this emerging plan of working in closer partnership with Ourghema. If there is anywhere I would be of use, please advise…

@zmorda @Yosser @anique.yael @alberto @hugi @amiridina @natalia_skoczylas can you please pick dates that suit you for a first meeting to discuss our options?
Thanks!

4 dates are offered: 27 Nov, 28 Nov, 3 Dec, 4 Dec
DOODLE is available HERE.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone i hope you all had a great time in Medenine :slight_smile:
It’s unfortunate how I missed the whole hackathon. @alberto i really wanted to speak to you but as you probably know, I am in Berlin now and I ll be back in Médenine this weekend. so I would like to ask you if I can still meet with you there?

1 Like

Hello Dorsaf, I also would love to meet you. I am going back to Médenine today, Friday, for a small workshop at Ourghema, but I will leave again after it. Our last chance is Friday afternoon/evening!

@alberto again it is really unfortunate but hopefully we ll meet in another occasion.

Thanks to everyone who filled out the doodle… Our best shot is Tuesday Dec 4th at 11 AM Brussels time,
I hope Zmorda will eventually also make it, her availability is the most limited.

Link to the call is this: Launch Meeting - Zoom
I also sent you all a calendar invite,
Talk to you soon!

1 Like

Might be able to attend this, got calendar link?

@nadia sent you an invitation.

thanks