Community Tech Desk: How to get connected

• You wonder how to play a game online with your friends?
  • You need to set up a call with multiple people who do not have access to the internet/use old phone lines?
  • You want to live stream a theatre performance?
  • You need to connect 50+ people for an intense webinar?

Right now many are asking questions like that. Our community of technologists and experienced distributed collaborators is a good place to find help.

Tell us what you trying to do, why you want to do it and what you have problems with.

We will help each other as a community :).

5 Likes

I would like to find some ideas along the lines of “interesting, enjoyable, trust-building or otherwise valuable activities to do online for a date”. It’s a serious question. Maybe somebody has experiences to share from a pre-pandemic long-distance romantic relationship? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@noemi @Leonie @jasen_lakic @matteo_uguzzoni @HadeerGhareeb your turf! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe ask the Gulfies about this - they’ve been doing this cat and mouse dance since forever because of extremely conservative cultures…

1 Like

My husband and I had 5 years of long-distance in total, and what was important for us throughout the whole time was to call every evening for at least 5 minutes to say good night to each other. To establish that as a fixed ritual and touching point for us every day was I think good for us.

I also have a question, more technical in nature:
Any ideas for solutions for teachers that function like zoom, but have the servers located in Germany or the EU in general? I talked to a friend who is a teacher and would like to use zoom but is not allowed due to the servers being overseas.

4 Likes

We are working on releasing a relationship Didi asks card pack, that can be used with long distance. if anyone wants some cards to test. we will be happy to share :slight_smile:

The game will be a good way to learn about each other in less awkward way…at the end there is that motive of playing that will keep the “knowing each other” continue.

2 Likes

hey @matthias and @HadeerGhareeb here’s an idea - try this thing out and let me know what ideas you get then let’s see if we can make it happen :)) now.edgeryders.eu

1 Like

Owen built it, maybe it makes sense to dedicate it to quarantime activities and see what creative stuff people come up with @johncoate @MariaEuler @noemi @jasen_lakic @matteo_uguzzoni @alessandro_mambelli :))

Anything where you get to see each other, hear each other, share things and have fun…from having dinner and wine skype date and dancing to writing a story together, playing some fun games together, doing naughty stuff :stuck_out_tongue:, brainstorming together etc.

2 Likes

We used to watch movies or documentaries, in sync, while on a ‘Skype’ call so we could comment in real time. Not very original, nor particularly creative, but we were happy with it.

2 Likes

@MariaEuler is the illustration your work? That’s quite nice :+1:t2:

1 Like

You have no idea. :smile: But noted! Another writeup I never thought I would do.

2 Likes

Thank you :). I wanted to touch something that’s not a keyboard for a bit and since I can’t go to my studio right now this had to serve :).

2 Likes

ping @amelia @Leonie - maybe something to do a call for stories/input on?

1 Like