Deliverable D2.3: Participatory social impact assessment report

I started preparing the report due next month.
The draft is here and at the moment it is just the structure of the document with the description of the in person events.

Overall, we should prepare an explanation of the used methods, the description of the events, the value of the data that came out of the research, the road to the reports and the plans for continuation. The language of the document should be directed to the general public, thus a notch less academic.

We will include also the visual materials prepared for the events and possibly some graphs illustrating the ethnography reports.

I propose we reserve at least a couple of hours after the call on Friday to work on this together @Nica.
I would like to have it ready by the end of the next week.

It is important to coordinate with @pykoe on the images we would like to include in the deliverable.
ping @marina, @matthias

1 Like

Let me know how I can support!

Sure, thanks!

It would be great if you could prepare a 300+ words summary of the Paul’s workshop to include why him, possible uses, the thematic topics that came out of his interview and the takeaways.

Also, I’d be grateful if you could do the same for automotive nightmares, knowing that there was an online workshop also - I can take care of that part.

If you have time, join the call on Friday to coordinate on how best to frame these.

1 Like

Thank you @ivan !

I am happy to work on this on Friday. The only issue is timing on the early end. I will be in a meeting that may end as early as 9 am (my time, when our meeting normally starts), or may go on until 9.30 or even 10. But I can join after, and will be free until about 13.00 (or 19.00 your time).

1 Like

summary:

Paul Nieuwenhuis, an expert on cars and the environment, delves into the multifaceted impact of automobiles on our environment, emphasizing that it goes beyond just tailpipe emissions. Originating his research on emissions, he lauds California State’s progressive efforts in this domain from the 1950s. However, Nieuwenhuis soon realized that focusing merely on emissions was insufficient.

He points out that the culture of disposing of cars after roughly 15 years of use is problematic. This throwaway trend is not just limited to cars but spans across various products introduced over the past century, from washing machines to mobile phones.

Several factors contribute to the short lifespan of cars:

1. Materials: The majority of cars are made of steel, which is capital-intensive, forcing large-scale production for profitability. This leads to an overemphasis on volume production rather than durability.
  2. Alternative Business Models: Nieuwenhuis suggests a shift towards ‘micro-factory retail’, a localized, low-volume manufacturing model. Here, cars are assembled in small units, allowing customization and local sourcing. Moreover, as the demand for new cars wanes, the focus can shift to maintenance and recycling.
  3. Circular Economy Concerns: While the circular economy is touted as a sustainable model, Nieuwenhuis argues it presumes a static technological environment. For instance, while steel, a primary component of most cars, is recyclable, not all car materials are. Furthermore, embracing newer technologies might disrupt the circular loop, particularly when shifting from one dominant material or technology to another.

Nieuwenhuis calls for a more in-depth exploration of the circular economy, stating that the current understanding is too conceptual. He suggests that we need to clarify whether loops should be closed within single products, sectors, or economies and at what scale.

Overall, Nieuwenhuis urges a reevaluation of our automobile production, usage, and disposal habits to build a more sustainable future.

1 Like

Hi everyone! It looks like my meeting will go on until about 10 am my time / 16.00 your time (might run a little over), but if we are working on the report after, @ivan and @pykoe I will join in.

@pykoe can you please take a look at the latest comment I made a few days ago with some visualizations questions for you? Thanks!

Hello, would you be able to join today after all?

Yes, I am here now but it looks like you are all gone…?

If you are available to hop back on for a bit, I am at the google meet link now @ivan – apologies, my meeting went a little over, and it was not something I could miss.

1 Like

Task: share D4.5 with all the organizations that put together the events where @jos conducted interviews

a reminder for a meeting today at 15:00. The link is in the calendar
edit ex post: @Nica I did not see you, please share an update on the D2.3
I mostly finished my part: the thing that remains for me to do is to shorten the reports on events and move them to the separate annex.

I will also add the consent form (and maybe the script?) & the “rules of engagement” in a second annex.

Please take a look on the rest of it and complete the parts where I left the comments for you?

I have to take a pause now, but will be back in 6 hrs.