A webinar on the strange economy of the Catalan Integral Cooperative

Registration: Tickets are free of charge, register by filling in the form below.

The Catalan Integral Cooperative is an interlocked ecosystem of production, distribution and consumption activities, most of them organized as cooperatives. It operates under heterodox economic theories, and follows practices so alien as to qualify as almost - alien economy on Earth. It’s almost like “an alternative country within a country”.

In this webinar, you will learn how the CIC came into existence from a Robin Hood-like act from its founder, Enric Duran; how it managed to establish a dense web of services for its members to support each other, including a marketplace for bartering, a logistics network supplying a small host of self-managed bantries, a makerspace, and several buildings where CIC members live and work; how it relates to the mainstream economy in Catalonia, sometimes disconnecting from it, other times working with it or hacking it.

Our guest is Joel, one of the core members of CIC. He can tell the CIC’s story from the inside, explain how it manages to stay viable while being so utopian, and hopefully inspire those of us who are trying to build their own “alternative countries within their country”.

Featured Participants

Joel Morist - Catalan Integral Collective

“We were able to make a sort of alternative country, inside an existing one.”

Alberto Cottica - Founder, Science Fiction Economics Lab

“Economics, as we know it currently, has pivoted from being a place where you could imagine new and better worlds to a discipline which re-enforces and improves itself in a single model. “Blue sky” innovation of economic systems is now done in strange places. Science fiction is one of them.

Another one is local communities who attempt to reboot their economies in more humane and long-term resilient ways. Among these, the Catalan Integral Cooperative stands aside the advanced social district of Messina we encountered in the precedent chapter… "

Format

A Zoom meeting. We will send you the link after you register.

Two short presentations on the case study, followed by an open, moderated discussion. A moderator will give the floor to people who want to contribute something. If you want to share your point of view, use the call’s chat to let us know, and the moderator will give you the floor. If you have a question to ask the speaker, ask it in the chat (better) or let us know you want to ask a question. Questions are taken before we move on to the next speaker.

We commit to doing a proper write up of the result (aka “documentation, or it didn’t happen”). Edgeryders also deploys its team for note-taking.

The call will be recorded for research purposes. Please read details about that process in this info sheet: Participant Information Sheet for online events. By joining the call you confirm that you understand and consent.

Everyone welcome .

How to Register

Tickets are free of charge, available by filling in the form below.

https://tell.edgeryders.eu/14599

Or by directly commenting on this post.

The zoom links will be send out shortly before the event via email.

The event is organised by Edgeryders as part of our work to extend the space of economic models that are conceivable and deployable to build a successful, fair civilization, while preserving the planet’s ecological balance.

Is coordinated by:

With support from:

2 Likes

@alberto can I ask you to add the missing texts in the above description of the event here?

We want to have someone Modelled on the one we did for messina Relational goods, stocks over flows, systems over networks: a webinar on the strange economy of the Messina district

If you are interested and want to join the event comment here. Share your experience or a question regarding local and regional economic development:
I am a professor of economics and a large sci-fi fan.

If you are interested and want to join the event comment here. Share your experience or a question regarding local and regional economic development:
a

Trying to establish new regional modes of economic activity in my area and lived experiences are invaluable.

Curious how one could develop an urban agriculture distribution system with and across public schools using lessons from CIC.

2 Likes

1 Like

I would like to join the event please.

2 Likes

This is the second time I comment, still no login info?

2 Likes

As my ideas in academia seem like science fiction to many, I’d like to see how I can resonate with these two interesting case studies. We were a team of several pals wishing to develop a self-sustaining eco-village with mesh network (few hactivists and several scholactivists) when I first heard of Calafou. I encountered Sci-Fi Econ Lab at Edgeryders. Thus would be a welcomed serendipity for me to see the two experiments unfold. I probably have a lot to learn from both experiences and maybe also other insights participating as audience. Looking forward:)

4 Likes

2 Likes

Hello @OveKenneth and welcome to the platform.
We will send you the Zoom link and the login for the event a couple of days before it is scheduled to start.
In the meantime, feel free to explore the materials on the platform (here and here are some of them regarding the CIC), engage and comment with your ideas.

1 Like

2 Likes

I would like to participate in this event

4 Likes

We working to develop seaweed derivatives that can be used as inputs in many areas (materials, agriculture, energy). We have a focus on small island developing nations as areas that could benefit from expanding seaweed aquaculture to produce advanced materials. How could the development of a large scale primary input accelerate the alien economy transition?

5 Likes

2 Likes

I had worked in the civic tech and open data scene in Southeast Asia (I’m from Myanmar) and have always been interested in how technology can enable radical new ways of collaboration that are non-exploitative. I have recently started my own company and struggle with how to build a sustainable organisation that is rooted in community and continuously delivers positive social impact.

4 Likes

I’m, interested to join the event, thankyou!

3 Likes

2 Likes

Feel for you, man. We are just the same here at Edgeryders. I mean, we are standing, but struggling nonetheless. :slight_smile:

3 Likes