Edgeryders visualized: a tentative animation

Cohesion is right now happening in my life, after @RoRemote nudged me to look at ER again, using the same SNA hooks as @martin (but I don’t think you two know each other).

Two questions for @alberto:

1. Why did you chose nodes to be posts instead of people?
  2. Could posts be further categories by keywords (topic analysis, semantic analysis) to get a more fine grained view of knowledge and idea? In addition, what would be nice is to show how and when different ideas are merging into bigger ideas. Maybe there are ideas on how to approach this topic using the work on scientific creativity (e.g., Mukherjee & Uzzi (2016). A New Method for Identifying Recombinations of Existing Knowledge Associated with High-Impact Innovation: Innovation Combined with Existing Technology)

Relational event modeling (based on participation shift framework) could be used to potentially answer the question.

The work on team assembly might provide some ideas on what else could be done with that data.

Interesting work, I’d like if and how this will be continued.

The heavy lifting is done by Gource. What I did was to use Edgeryders data to generate a file that (1) represents online debate in a fairly intuitive way and (2) is digestible by Gource. The logic of Gource is that programmers are seen creating and editing files in a repository (with a tree structure), so what I did was mirror the logic. The files are replaced by posts; posts in a forum are also arranged in a tree (category=>subcategory=>topic=>post); and contributors are contributors.

As I progressed I was able to create visualization where annotations are visualized as well:

Indeed. Not sure how to represent this with Gource… yet.

2 Likes

:grinning: :smile: :grin: :rofl: :rofl: :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

I am still living in hope that I may one day experience Edgeryders visualised as the swarm of cats it is.

3 Likes