Ethnography Coding Call April 2 2020

Actually, I should repeat what I just told Maja, now for everyone in the team: Open Ethnographer now supports collaborative coding. @amelia @SZdenek @Jan @Richard @Jirka_Kocian @supernova @Maja

Instructions

In the auto-suggest list of codes you see when coding with Open Ethnographer, so far only your own codes were shown. You can now let Open Ethnographer suggest codes that your fellow ethnographers applied throughout the same coding project (here, ethno-poprebel).

To do that, you first have to choose your coding project once (and then every time when you move to work on a different project). To do so:

1. Go the Open Ethnographer interface.
  2. Click “User Settings → [your user] → Edit User Settings”.
  3. Under “Discourse tag”, select the tag applied to posts in your coding project, namely ethno-poprebel in this case.
  4. Click “Update User Settings”.

Note that, as a side effect, Open Ethnographer will not include all of your own codes in the suggestions, but only those that you used before in the current coding project. You can always switch back to the old behavior or “show only my own codes independent of coding project, and nothing of others” by selecting “no tag” in the above setting.

(This is also documented in the manual now.)

Background

This implements what Amelia requested at the beginning of this topic (see the quote below). Just that code names are not proposed additionally in English if a code name of the same code has already been included in the coding user’s language. (We’ll get that fixed, but it should be a minor issue to be aware of for now.)

2 Likes

@Jan @Jirka_Kocian @Maja @Richard, I’m postponing the meeting. Keep coding and updating your codes and codebooks — I’ll reach out when I’m ready to reschedule. Thank you!

Do we have a meeting today? If so, where can we find the link?

ah, ok, now I see it is postponed.

Dear All, as I wrote to Amelia earlier, Wojtek and I had a really great “workshop” today to develop our method of work and code a bit. We have come up with three questions:

The mother-child code relationship. Say, we code “homosexuality” and it intersects in the coded fragment with the issue of “various approaches”. Wojtek codes separately assuming that if we want to get the intersection the software will catch it and display. I code: mother: “homosexuality” and child: “homosexuality: various approaches.” What is your advice?

Wojtek observed that if, say, he codes the whole entry with CODE1 and then codes a part of it with CODE2 and then wants to adde CODE3, say, to a word, he cannot do this. The system allows only two codes “on one bit of text”, it seems.

The most urgent issue: is it possible to duplicate a threat of a conversation, so we could code it on the platform separately (also inter-coder reliability) and only then to compare our codes and reconcile them? It is - we believe - a very useful exercise, at least the beginning, to compare and try to synchronize our coding “habits.”

Yours, Jan

@Jan this is a very old thread, and a long one — can you start a new one, perhaps called ‘Polish coding’ or something to that effect, and repost/move this there?

And should I invite Jirka, etc?