Federated Discourse Forums (Application at Prototype Fund)

The following is a copy&paste version of the application I sent to Prototype Fund today. I had to apply under my own name / business identity, as the fund is only open for projects in Germany. But the idea and outcomes is related to Edgeryders, namely extending the software running Edgeryders Communities.

The application is written in German, but you can read a machine translated version in English.

1 Like

That looks super interesting Matt! Is there any space where you can actually see a whole list of communities based on Discourse?

The largest list I know of is the Discourse customer list. That’s 1500+ Discourse sites using the “official” discourse.org hosting offer, but excludes the sites doing self-hosting (like we do) or using hosting offers at competing hosting providers (there are some now).

Another interesting data point: self-reported monthly revenue of Discourse :astonished:

1 Like

There is also https://trends.builtwith.com/websitelist/Discourse (builtwith.com is a service to analyse the tech stack a website uses, but I think part is paywalled). Same is true for https://www.shodan.io/search?query=discourse. Similar service, but more for hackers.

1 Like

Way to go, @matthias! Well done!

1 Like

For reference: the above application did not get funded.

That’s a pity. Mine (farsharing, on Github) got rejected, too.

I will me at the makers4humanity Lab over the weekend. If we get too bored or have enough interest, we might play around with a federated setup in a hackathon. If so, we will take your posts into account and would propose improvements if we’d find some.

1 Like

Schade… :frowning:

1 Like

update: I did not use the time where I was bored to do that :slight_smile:

@matthias: BUT I had an idea for a discourse plugin that could be submitted to Prototype fund or similar:

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Discourse-Plugin to suggest alternatives to GAFAM&Co. (idea stage)

Are you going to send this idea to PrototypeFund Round 7? There are still a few days to submit something! :slight_smile:

(I just finished my own submission for this round: a package manager for open source hardware. The apt for hardware, so to speak.)

I was thinking about it, but would need help. Fancy cowriting?

Awesome. Feel free to chip me in.

If you prepare a document for co-writing and send me a link, I’ll join and contribute :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome guys. Let me know how I can support you.

Done, its a copy of my entry for PF6, feel free to edit/delete/comment. I am really squeezed the next days, though.

1 Like

Thanks! I just did my pass on the document. For small changes (wording, spelling etc.) I just edited them in. For major changes that deal with the content, I used the “track changes” feature so you can decide if they make sense.

I think I found a nice way to explain why this resource management tool will solve an important “civic society problem”. Have a look :slight_smile:

I think I found a nice way to explain why this resource management tool will solve an important “civic society problem”. Have a look :slight_smile:

Will dig into that tomorrow or tonight. I thought we will apply for GAFAM-awareness plugin of discourse, though… :slight_smile:

Have fun

I thought that too but then was very sure you had decided otherwise when I saw the form pre-filled with the resource scheduler related texts. Seriously funny remote collaboration fail! :smile: I guess we’re “stuck” with another try for the resource scheduling application then, as I’ll not have enough time to draft a complete application until this round ends …

I tried to indicate that its just a plain copy of my older application at the head of the document. Yep, lets book that under funny collaboration “fail” - awesome edits from your side, though, thanks a lot and let us hand that application in! I will PM you about the details.

2 Likes

We just submitted! Wish us luck :slight_smile:

1 Like