Funding opportunities?

Hi, I was advised to post here since I am doing some projects in Athens but paying for them out of pocket since I don’t understand anything about funding language.

There are three projects that are already underway that I would like to get funding for, I wouldn’t know where to start looking.

One: is the immigrant dinners project. Inviting immigrants in Athens that have never met Greeks/residents over for dinner. The results have been astounding.

Two: Setting up pop-up restaurants for unemployed Ethiopian people. This is in progress, first one will be in January.

Three: Teaching 3D printing to vulnerable groups in Athens. This is more complex than it sounds, and also has very positive results.

Since there are many experts here, I would welcome any advice/help.

My first advce is…

… get your blog back up! The link to bezdomny.org redirects to an ISP. smiley

As you have noticed, funding is not the most fun of activities. Roughly (and bearing in mind we are actually doing mostly commercial work, not fundraising; that is, we try to find stuff that interests us and also solves someone’s problem, so that that someone will pay us to do it), it starts with identifying candidate sources; then you go through their literature (calls for projects etc,); next, you try to get in touch with them for preliminary discussions; finally, you write applications.

The mighty @Matthias has covered quite a bit on ground on step 1 (see here), and that might be a good place to start. As for the following steps, if you need help a good way to seek it within Edgeryders would be to create a project and use it as a space to develop the work (each project can host blog posts, wikis, tasks etc.). If you do it, I recommend you do it on a project-by-project basis. The Edgeryders ethics is to try and help out a bit community members who are trying to develop projects; if you are looking for more than just advice, you should state openly what kind of help you would like; maybe some other Edgeryders are willing and able to help you.

Finally, if you want to apply wearing the hat of Edgeryders LBG, that can be done too. This can be an advantage in some cases, and a disadvantage in some others. By default, we are very willing to share our corporate shell with community members. If that is what you want to do, talk to us.