Green Deal Call: selected topics for Edgeryders

Check under:

I added the estimated workload for each scenario.

Please grant access to nnegash@gmail.com

1 Like

You need a one sentence initial message. Ideally if you can link to our green deal info session info @marina? Basically a repeat of what you did during the biweekly call but angled for externals who could include us in their bids or who could do the work of getting us into existing ones or who want to create their own job by doing catherding for us around bids

Hei, update from Liliana Carillo from a side conversation I just had and this came up - can you guys follow it up?

For the Green Deal proposal we have already a lead partner and we are ready. Area 6: Farm to Fork, subtopic B - University of Lincoln; ILVO also involved another Be organisation to lead in the writing of the proposal. They are talking internally about ER and since her boss doesn’t know ER a lot, he doubts it.* @Alberto @Marina can also send a formal text- but we need to be proactive - she says. Noemi side thoughts: propose a graphryder session?*
‘‘I need that you guys come with a proposal and say: look, this is the package, this is what we propose’’. For example, in the Engagement package - we need to decide in which side of Farm-to-Fork edgeryders is going to take a role: the voice of citizens, the voice of food entrepreneurs
In another one Liliana is working on they don (topic E - waste and zero carbon ingredients.

In other areas of Green Deal - In general, we can count on their network in the part of citizen participation, engagement, and on the call for cities innovatione etc. ‘I know I can put some resources there on a personal level, but I need someone to take the lead’.
Or in Africa focus: EDDA - European Digital Development Alliance

What form does this need to be in? An email? A meeting? A graphryder session, which is also a meeting?

I don’t understand this. The natural Edgeryders move is to be on the side of social innovation:

• There is Big Food. That’s well represented, with a strong voice. No need for us amplify it further.
  • Then there is a community of people who try to do things different, the “New Food community”, if you wish (Yannick, Noemi herself, the “Food as commons” guy, the edible forests/edible gardens crowd etc. etc.). Some people in this community are producers, others are consumers or service providers (dieticians, retailers…). That is a voice with weak signals of change that needs amplifying etcetera. Right?
1 Like

What form does this need to be in? An email? A meeting? A graphryder session, which is also a meeting?

It’ up to us to decide - she mentioned a document, but I personally think it would be best to accompany the document with a meeting proposal where you can meet her boss.

I don’t understand this. The natural Edgeryders move is to be on the side of social innovation:

Well, perhaps she doesn’t have it clear so it’s better to put this (again!) in writing. Right, exactly what you write should probably be clear.

1 Like

Done.

1 Like

Also moved all the posts relevant to that call to the new topic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You da best

Speaking of extending capacity, who can help do this today, take 15 mins!

Live link is: Funding & tenders

@andreja you have that list - could you send out an e-mail? We can prepare it together. The idea is to offer collaboration in case people are looking at this call and suggest a meeting.

no, we have only the list without the contact details, including the emails, because the registration process went through the Commission.

oh nooo. no way in getting them?

Maybe just ask them to forward the invitation email Alberto wrote to the people who signed up to our event? An email with link to our summary with albertos text below.

noo:( I can contact only those whose contacts I have from before.

This is now done for all of the calls except the cities one (as we’ll probably go with Climate KIC) and the one @amelia is working on - if we realize we are missing a partner we can publish a more precise info on what we are looking for.

I’m really lost here, as I find it deeply disturbing that the calls listed above made it into the European Green New Deal. They are all talk and very little action … exactly how nation states failed to address the climate crisis for the last 30 years. We’re screwed if this is any indicator for the rest of the Green New Deal projects :cry:

What I desire to see, and contribute to, are large-scale projects that actually do something about greenhouse gases: prevent them from being released, or remove them from the air. Like … just one example: carbon sequestration via deadwood burial has a potential to remove 10 GtC (Gigatons of carbon) per year, when applied globally (according to a 2008 study). That alone is roughly 60% of the current worldwide greenhouse gas emissions.

So if you (esp. @marina who has the overview …) see any call that’s hands-on about greenhouse gas emissions or ecosystem restoration and where we have a chance to get into a consortium, please let me know. I’d want to make that happen. For everything else, I don’t see a role for me.

2 Likes

Have a look at these Matt:

Area 3: Industry for a clean and circular economy
Topic 1: Closing the industrial carbon cycle to combat climate change

Area 4: Energy and resource efficient buildings
Building and renovating in an energy and resource efficient way

Area 7: Biodiversity and ecosystems
Restoring biodiversity and ecosystem services

What do you think?

2 Likes

Event if anyone is interested:

Join us for a conversation with this panel of activists and thinkers Julian Brave NoiseCat, Summer Sandoval, Ashley Dawson, Trevor Ngwane, and David Hughes whose work is helping to move the fight for energy democracy forward.

Wildfires, hurricanes, famines, and the pandemic – we live on a planet already in deep ecological crisis, with worse to come if today’s climate inaction, soaring inequality, and state violence continue. To shift things and win a just transition, we need ambitious planning and abundant struggle.

Proposals from around the world for a Green New Deal have highlighted the need to win popular control of the infrastructures of energy production and distribution. Fossil capitalism must be shut down since further production of coal, oil, and gas will doom the planet to climate chaos. Meanwhile, construction of renewable energy must be massively accelerated.

What are the obstacles to an energy transition that lifts up frontline communities, workers, Indigenous peoples, people in postcolonial nations, and others? How can we ensure that the transition is genuinely democratic and participatory? What combination of centralized and decentralized initiatives is appropriate given the need for an accelerated transition and the concern that the authoritarian structures of fossil capitalism not be reproduced in a new form of green capitalism/colonialism?

Free and open to the public, but please Register to access the Zoom link and attend: Energy Democracy and the Green New Deal Tickets, Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 3:00 PM | Eventbrite

This event is co-sponsored by The Natural History Museum, Rutgers Climate Institute, CUNY Climate Action Lab, and the Center for the Humanities at Graduate Center, CUNY.

Visit our website for more information about this event here: Energy Democracy and the Green New Deal - The Center for the Humanities

*Image: “Growing Strong Together” by Sarah Bloom, courtesy of Creative Action Network

3 Likes

@matthias:

“ * Citizen awareness raising activities linked to green neighbourhood “living labs” (led by “green schools” where relevant), to facilitate social innovation, promote education and training for sustainability, conducive to competences and positive behaviour/good habits for a resource efficient and environmentally respectful energy use.”

Does this or sound like the reef? It’s the building one.

@hugi: maybe something worth looking into for frihamnen/blivamde and sci-fi econ Lab?

1 Like