Help get the volunteer dashboard page finished so we can launch!

Woop woop we have the dashboard page that we need to clearly communicate what needs doing and how to join the efforts up and running!

Now all we need to do is

1. Define the general task areas (no more than 7 in total) and set up a block on the Dashboard page for each one. What are your suggestions for the task areas based on last year? I would like to add two ones: Storytelling and documentation as well as Web and tech dev

2. For each general task area create a group where the work will be broken down into smaller tasks, task-specific community hangout events set up, communications handled etc.

3. Make sure there are urls in the task and task groups linking them to each other

Once this is done we can look at the detailed Makerfox connection (Tickets are not free, but earned through taking on tasks…once they have completed enough tasks i.e. put in makerfox points in the system they are eligible for a ticker. Tasks fall into three categories: have to be done before, during and after the event).

The general volunteer areas & corresponding workspaces

To agree tentatively, then we can always change the teams/ team names:

1. Contribute to the Agenda : does this need a group per se? I suggest it’s hosted under Lote4 the Stewardship?

2. Support the LOTE sales and fundraising efforts - same as above

1. Join the countonme social media team -> workspace Social media team

2. Offer your storytelling and documentation skills -> workspace Edgeryders public speaking group

3. Help with web & tech development -> Dev and testing group OR a new Harmonious Hackathons group (prefer the first option)

4. Run travel, lodging and logistical arrangements in Matera -> new Lote4 logistics group

works for me where there is an existing group we use the group

We should probably have at the top  bottom of that page a simple description of how we work are organised. Maybe the three pillars of LOTE community organisation:

How we collaborate around tasks!

Groups on the platform: Participants are in 30+ countries and in different timezones so we have learned to collaborate effectively using groups on the edgeryders platform. They enable us to: share ideas and calls to action through blogposts, collaboratively edit documents, create and assign tasks, as well as create and sign up to events. Without giving our data away to third party commercial services. You will be pointed to the right group when you join a task team above.

Community calls: Every week we touch base, welcome and introduce new community members and event participants, discuss ideas and agree on the work for next week during one hour community video calls. The calls are documented and posted in community fast forwards so people who cannot make it still can stay on top of what is happening, and participate in the conversation through comments. Want to come to the next one? Join here.

The CountOnMe List: you get a daily email with 3 headlines, you share them with your friends and send in your own news in return through a simply email reply. These are picked up by our official social media accounts and become the next day’s network headlines which are again spread by everyone in the list… It’s fast and cheap, and we all know about crucial headlines and deadlines in time! Join here: goo.gl/Q3q2Im

Note, there’s a group-specific task mgr

This is done, so I just mark it done …

On another note that’s somehow relevant for these collaboration pages: most LOTE4 teams do not utilize an own groups, but those that do (basically @Alberto's hackathon group and @Ben's LOTE4 sessions group) might want to use the Project Tasks pane, a group-specific variant of task manager that I created recently. You can add it via the “Customize this page” button on every panelized minisite page (when adding the content, find the pane under “View panes → View: Task Manager: Project Tasks”).

Interesting, but…

… where do you think we should use them? In the hackathon case, we try to keep the minisite page very very clean. I could panelize the group page itself, but for now this seems overkill.

Default place is in the making

Oh, use it as you like, don’t use it if you don’t like to or have no space in your group …

I’m reworking some aspects of the task features now, and the per-project task manager will probably show up by default in the existing “Tasks” tab on the group page, replacing the current flat task list of the so-called “Commons Group Browsing Widget” (implemented as the commons_bw_* views).