I’m Erik Bohjort, psychologist, nudger and (digital) behaviour change enthusiast. Ask Me Anything about behaviour, psychology and tech!

@MariaEuler I’ve been looking into this and I am happy to find actionable insights and benchmarks relating to this strongly emerging way of working.

1 Like

@katejsim Such a relevant question that I come by in many different settings!

My answer consists of two related points;

1. Behavioural science is often seen as a fuzzy and fluid within the tech community with some enthusiasts propagating for key ideas or principles. This contributes to a feeling of behaviuoral science as quite “faddy” or fringe - while in reality it is not. Tech companies who in some way are working with or towards a user is really operating within an area where understanding human behaviour, aka. behavioural science is a central part of the product/solution/service. In short, tech believes behavioural science is fringe, but where there are humans, behavioural science is central.

2. The behavioural science scope is narrow. Within applied behavioural science I come across a lot of requests to implement “nudges” in line with the famous fly nudge within both private and public sectors of business. Now projects I am involved in range from building PR campaigns to promote healthy behaviours, to optimising digital platforms for education to producing guidelines for human centered design within product and service design. What I see is often lacking is the vocabulary and insight into that there is so much more than simply “nudge”-implementations to be made from the behavioural science prespective.

In sum both of these points I see are due to a lack of understanding, which in turn stems from a lack of available information in regards to what BS is and how it can be applied.

Thank you for this question!

/E

1 Like

@daveed absolutely, I see potential in how streamers as Chessbrah, Jayne and SaltyPhish as well as organisations such as EloHell have done. For even more specificity I would recommend checking out The Phish Bowl: Video 1 and Video 2.

I will return to further answer your questions!

All the best,

E

1 Like

Thanks so much @Bohjort! Very helpful.
And happy new year.
Btw the way, do you know much about fake news and misinformation? We are having a panel at the https://theoverweb.com/challenge and I am wondering if someone like yourself might have some interesting things to say on why people share the fake news, what we need to think about regards to mitigation, and how the Internet makes it hard to deal with the problem.

2 Likes