IARC 2023 Transcripts - 04 CAT

Uh, what can the automotive industry do to promote circular economy.

do what?

Uh, a lot of things. Uh, for instance, this conference is, is already an important thing because then you have the networking, you make the contacts between automotive industry, recycling industry, dismantling industry. So this is really important. Um, yeah, we will see in the next decades more verticalization of the sector. You will have integration into until recycling, which we saw also 20 years ago when we had the first directive. And then in the end every industry will become again, uh, uh, independent and will do its thing. Um, yeah. What can we do? Um, yeah. I think an important role is for the new LV regulation. And there we all hope that there are strict initiatives and measures in order to promote circular industry, uh, economy.

Uh, do you have concerns about privacy and personal data stored in car electronics, for example? Gps.

No.

No problem. But it’s not really concern of concern. The recycling industry is not exploiting the data of GPS. I don’t see the problem. I think we have to face, uh, privacy policy, but we don’t have to exaggerate. And no one is going to exploit the data of your GPS unless it’s a criminal organization. But criminals don’t really they don’t have normally a long, a long time to live. And let’s let’s hope.

Uh, does recycling and reusing mean different things to you?

Yes, of course. Reuse of parts is is keeping the parts and giving them second life. We do it also with the batteries. We give them a second life. That’s something else than recycling. Recycling is also a massive industry. Dismantling is more taking care of the product and and recycling is taking care of the materials. That’s the main difference.

Uh, on a scale of 1 to 5, one means not at all concerned. Five means extremely concerned. How concerned are you about issues of environmental waste and pollution?

5 Because it’s my job and it’s also my belief and my philosophy to work and to live with this concerns in the first place.

What, if any, actions do you take in your life to promote sustainability?

Yeah. Um, first of all, I in my personal life, yeah, I created, for instance, an ecosystem, uh, meaning that, um, I have the solar panels, circular battery and an electric car, and it’s all linked now so I can see and I can use the sun to, to drive my car because I can. Store. Also the sun energy on my circular battery in order to use it for for driving my car. Um and then in the. Yeah we have a lot of, uh, yeah we have uh, we compost our own kitchen, um, waste, uh, we do a lot of sorting. We, we run often to the container park in, in, in my village where I live. And, and, uh, we try to reuse also a lot of things instead of, uh, instead of, uh. Yeah, dispose them. Yeah.

How much responsibility does each individual have to make lifestyle and consumer choices that help protect the environment?

Yeah. Maximum. Maximum. The most possible is the only way.

Last question. Uh, do you see the circular economy as a local or national or international issue?

I think you have to do it on all the levels possible. Local, national, international, personal. That’s the only way.

Okay. Thank you very much.

coded