IARC 2023 Transcripts - 11 GHA

In your opinion, are cars that include electronic components easier or harder to adapt to the circular economy principles than regular cars?

Um, I think that it’s, uh, it’s a good question. I think that, um, it’s, it’s not easier, of course, because, you know, it’s, it’s, there’s a range of metals and the range of electronics, it’s going higher. When it’s going higher, it’s you need to be more sophisticated in how to do it. But the possibilities are higher as well. Opportunities. Sorry. So the opportunity is higher as well. And then you can doing reuse for batteries, battery cells, computers, not only the metals, and then you can do reuse, not only recycle because in in the car industry most of the harvesting of of parts it’s it’s finished with doors some some other parts metals now it’s I think the opportunity will be much higher.

What do you think what can the automotive industry do to promote a circular economy?

Um, I think that it’s um, for them, you know, it’s, it’s in every industry, the manufacturers, the main goals, you know, most of them are private companies, listed companies which, you know, they, they need to hit their targets every quarter. I don’t think they honestly they like, you know, the circular economy so much because, you know, they want to sell more and more cars and they want that their cars will you know, they will live as short time of period as they could because they want to sell, you know, even in electronics, if it’s cell phone or cars, they want to sell more and more cars. But, you know, this is, I think, the topic and in charge of, you know, the the the the union nations and the regulation whatsoever to force them to do it.

Uh, do you have concerns about privacy and personal data stored in by car electronics like GPS when they should be reused?

Um, yes, of course. Of course. That is something. And it’s not only GPS, it’s cameras inside camera in the cars. For example, in Tesla, you have cameras inside camera outside of the car. Who is going inside? Who is where? Where are you? Where have you been located, etcetera, etcetera. So there is a lot of data that are collected. And this data, you know, you must make sure that it’s going to you’re going to to destruct this data or to, uh, to use tools like software that, like that. You’re going to erase all the data or to shred the hard drives and etcetera.

Does recycling and reusing mean different things to you?

To me, yes. It’s the same family reuse is. The higher level of recycling. Of course you need to be reuse and if not reuse, recycle.

On a scale of 1 to 5, one means not at all concerned and five means extremely concerned. How concerned are you about issues of environmental waste and pollution?

Four.

Why four?

Because I’m concerned. There is a lot of players on the market which are not strict with regulation and unformal sectors is rising. This is a main issue. Main Main issue.

What, if any, actions do you take in your life to promote sustainability?

Sorry.

What actions do you take in your life to promote sustainability?

Umm. Collection. Recycling Electric cars. Umm. I’m in the right, you know, in the right segment of business. You know, we have I’m running, you know, plenty of recycling. This is my contribution.

How much responsibility does each individual have to make lifestyle and consumer choices that help protect the environment? What do you think?

What they should do to protect the environment. I think that start they can buy less to start, buy less, and not to, you know, to to be a part of the games of the big brands that educate you to throw everything old and to buy everything new. I think this is a main issue. And then, you know, if you are if you’re buying so doing the collection, doing making sure that it’s finished, you know, on the on the right a can of garbage and make sure that this garbage you know it’s even it’s going to to the right place.

Last question. Do you see the circular economy as a local or national or international issue?

Actually, I’ve been in a lecture a few years ago of one of the astronauts of NASA, and he told in the lecture he said something very important, messages that I have to the world is when you’re in the space station and you are look down on earth, you cannot see borders. You see one ball and the one ball. You cannot see people. You cannot see nothing. There is one ball that we need to keep on the ball. We need to take care that we are living here. And if he wants to that it will last. We need, you know, to do a A to take, you know, the same efforts in this issue. And then but the problem is that there are a lot of free riders that don’t understand it. So like Far East and other countries, that is not doing any contribution. And at the end, you know, even if Europe, which is a nice population globally, it’s a very small fraction of the world. So even if Europe will do all their best, the influence will be almost nothing because of the Chinese and India and other billions of people worldwide. So I’m concerned about it.