IARC 2023 Transcripts - 13 JAM

What can the automotive industry do to promote the circular economy?

I think it needs to be more synergies. So I think there’s a lot of infrastructure there. There’s a lot of work already being done, but I think that needs to be expanded in terms of scale. Um, and I’m not sure that the general consumer, the general customer is aware enough. Um, so yeah, I think in dealerships and so forth that could be or in adverts that can be promoted more.

Do you have concerns about privacy and personal data stored in car electronics like GPS?

Uh, I personally don’t because for me, if I own a phone and the phone has the same data, so what’s really the difference if a car has that and they’re using Android auto or Apple Auto? Um, I think it’s an aspect that needs. Monitoring and control and looking after, but don’t have undue concerns.

Does recycling and reusing mean different things to you?

Yes.

Could you explain?

So for me, reuse is more. Uh. Simply. Taking a product and using it again, maybe with some minor maintenance or cleaning or small repairs, whereas recycling is much more using the materials from a product Again.

On a scale of 1 to 5, one means not at all concerned and five means extremely concerned. How concerned are you about issues of environmental waste and pollution?

Uh, 3 or 4. I think it’s one of the biggest factors for the planet at the moment behind some others, but definitely one of the top five issues.

What, if any, actions do you take in your life to promote sustainability?

But as I said earlier, I try to keep, hold of things for a longer time and reuse them. I try to avoid buying too many things and in general, um, and I’ve recently started to increase my train travel as opposed to flying, um, and reducing meat consumption. But generally, um, it’s all the small things that you hear about in the news recycling, turning lights out, all those sort of small things that hopefully add up. But I haven’t taken any drastic action.

Second last question How much responsibility does each individual have to make lifestyle and consumer choices that help protect the environment?

I think everyone’s responsible. I think everyone should be doing their part. But for me, the bigger impact would be when the biggest countries, the biggest governments, the biggest companies make an impact. I think there’s maybe a 100 companies, if they all completely reevaluated themselves and changed, that would make a far more drastic impact than every small person.

Last question. Do you see the circular economy as a local or national or international issue?

I think it’s all of them. They’re all integrated. Yeah, I don’t think you can. I don’t think it can exist on each scale separately. I think they’re definitely integrated. But you can strive for local action. It doesn’t all have to be international.

Okay. Thank you very much. Thank you.

coded