Install and test the OpenCare consent funnel module

Consent funnel implemented and installed

Ok @Alberto and @markomanka : I just finished the consent funnel and installed it, so that it shows up the first time somebody wants to post to an OpenCare challenge. Click the “ Tell your Story” button in the toolbar to see it.

Users can revoke their consent by editing their user profile information (there is a field for this consent at the end of it).

The module is OpenCare specific because the questions are specifically for OpenCare. However, it can be easily adapted to ask for other types of consent if we want to do that on Edgeryders.

This implementation was quite a bit of hacking around with JavaScript etc. but is very lightweight (it does not depend on the Edgeryders quiz module as originally intended). Can of course still be improved, but might be a basis for something generic that we can release as a Drupal project some day. For replacing the useless “I have read the terms and conditions” checkmarks. I’d be interested to have another quiz like this for users signing up on edgeryders.eu (with the reference to our terms and conditions document just as a legally bulletproof addition, since nobody reads these anyway). But for now, this is what we got.

Let me know when there are issues with the implementation.

Just to report on use…

Don’t mind me if this is not under questioning or the window has long passed. But I find it a little confusing, the way questions are framed:

• For non-native En speakers "what would you do here?  1. I would share my credit card data if asked" is very vague. Is this a quizz? Am I asked to tentatively commit to sharing my card info? 
  • If I check this (wrong) answer, then there is no clear messaging saying "This is not what the platform is for, try again!" and only then the technical explanation. 

Other than that - which again you or @markomanka  can choose to ignore - is there any way to not have the funnel pop up when doing edits the post?

Are we counting the answers in any way? If so, mind you, platform moderators can edit posts and fix formatting, so we are subject to this consent form time after time, altering results…

If not, it’s just bugging, also for users who go back to make changes and have to re-fill out.

1 Like

Ah good points

But simple to fix. I’ll adapt the question feedback to start with something like “This is not what the platform is for, try again! […]”. And prevent the quiz popup on edit forms. (That’s the simple solution. I could also prevent it only if teh editing user is different from the author, but I guess that’s not needed. Users edit their own posts very rarely anyway.)

Only the first time sb. posts a challenge response, they will see the consent funnel. The answer is then "counted by saving it into their user profile as a timestamp of when consent was given. This way, it is accessible to views filters when exporting data for ethnographic research etc…

Understood, so it is timestamped.

Missed that, well it sounds great then.

Great news!!! And tiny suggestion

Well done, everyone. I think we are good to go, given Noemi’s points and Matt’s answer.

Can I ask for another tiny improvement: a “Lost? E-mail us, we’ll help” link. I think I could even code it myself editing the quiz.consent.inc file. @Matthias , will you authorize me? I do not trust myself to deploy, but I can go as far as the code change and GitHub commit.

Sure go ahead :slight_smile:

You already have commit right son Github. You can even test your commit on the dev site if you like (nothing to break there):

cd /var/www/dev.edgeryders.eu/web/;

git pull;

drush pm-enable edgeryders_consent;

Very cool!

I never did a deploy before! Let me try that… Do you want me to create a branch, or can I just commit to master?

Commit done, deploy failed

Hi @Matthias , I made my modifications (also taking into account Noemi’s points, I took the liberty of sligthly rewording question 2 and its answers) and committed to master. The repo looks fine on GitHub. Next, I followed your instructions for deployment and testing on the dev server, but the last one, the drush command, fails:

edgeryders_consent was not found.

No release history was found for the requested project (edgeryders_consent).

There were no extensions that could be enabled.

Remaining points resolved

Alberto and I fixed the remaining points. It’s all tested and deployed on the live site now. This includes the “no quiz on edit” fix: when admins (or anyone, for that matter) edit existing nodes, no consent quiz will be shown, and no changes to the user’s consent status will be made on save.

@Alberto, your commit looks good. I just forgot that the dev site was on the dev branch of course … so to pull from the master branch you would have done git branch master; git pull;. That’s why your git pull; did not bring in the edgeryders_consent code, because that module only exists on the master branch currently.

Hooray!

Ok, my first deploy is posponed to the next time. :slight_smile: Great, so we move on.

Other questions ?

Hello,

I’ve just had a look at the consent funnel - it’s great that users know from the start what kind of contribution to the platform is indeed expected.

We also had listed some other ones by describing our consent funnel to the EC, such as: How is sharing your data here different from sharing them on a commercial social platform (e.g. Facebook, Instagram)? Can you modify or delete your data once you’ve started using this platform ?

Is it planned to add these other questions to the funnel ?

Would they be displayed somewhere else, as a FAQ for common information on the platform about what users’ data become (maybe under a specific tab ?)?

Keep it simple

The funnel should keep it as simple as possible. So no, no plans to add more questions for now. As for the extra page, the decision rests with @markomanka , who is in charge of all the ethics stuff.

@matthias This old thread appeared in my notices of new messages, but it looks like the last activity had been on July 2016 (367days ago, specifies the useful counter on my bottom right)… any guesses about the reason?

@matthias and @johncoate have been reorganising content to get rid of our previous 300+ “projects”, many of which long dormant. When they do this, discourse treats assignment to a different category as an edit, and sends notifications accordingly. Sorry for the nuisance, these things will peter out as the new site stabilises. :slight_smile: