Internetdagarna interviews - introduction by jennieann

Vem är du? Vad jobbar du med och varför är du på Internetdagarna?

Jag jobbar med att utveckla programvara åt småföretagare. Just nu är det demokratifrågor och privacy. GDPR, det löser ju inte så mycket. Demokratifrågan är så mycket större än så, det är en global fråga. EU kan vara en faktor med det måste lösas globalt. Vi har kommit en liten bit här. Men vi kan bara säga nej till de små sakerna men ja till de stora när det gäller privacy.

När blev du sist hoppfull eller glad över internet eller dess framtid?

När man började inse att det finns krafter och nationer som använder det vi brukade tycka var positivt är det svårt.

När jag var hoppfull trodde jag att internet skulle öka demokratin, sprida någonting, att vi skulle kunna ge flera möjlighet att söka och få kunskap. Tänk om alla har samma jämlika möjligheter?

När gjorde internet eller dess utveckling dig arg, rädd eller bekymrad?

Allt mer. Den stora ögonöppnaren var nog att det värre än man tror var Syrien. Där de började tracea folk. När man insåg att både google och facebook är sådana maktfaktorer. Vilka leder de här företagen imorgon? Det vet vi inte.

name: jennieann

English translation.
Disclaimer, rough translation made by Hugi with AI support:

Who are you? What are you working on and why are you on the Internet Days?

I work on developing software for small businesses. Right now there are issues of democracy and privacy. GDPR, that doesn’t solve that much. The democracy issue is so much bigger than that, it is a global issue. The EU can be a factor with it having to be resolved globally. We have come a little way here. But we can only say no to the small things but yes to the big ones when it comes to privacy.

When did you last become hopeful or happy about the internet or its future?

When one began to realize that there are forces and nations that use what we used to think was positive, it is difficult.

When I was hopeful, I thought the Internet would increase democracy, spread something, that we could give more opportunities to search and gain knowledge. What if everyone would have the same opportunities?

When did the internet or its development make you angry, scared or worried?

Increasingly. The big eye opener on that it was probably that worse than we think, was Syria. Where they started tracing people. When you realized that both google and facebook are such power factors. Who are leading these companies tomorrow? We do not know.

Thanks for the talk! I really connect with having become disillusioned. I shared that “tech solutionism” utopian thinking a decade ago. Some people are thinking that the solution should be to avoid the data being stored with big companies and governments at all, but rather be owned and stored by each and everyone and given on request. But that might be a bit utopian to actually put in place.

@alberto summarized some key findings from a recent workshop here:

Anyway, welcome!