Teaching Teachers Open Source

Thanx. I think that you in a broad sense need to question which parts of internet you choose to act within. This also boils down to society level.

• Where on internet should we put our children who cant separate good from bad, truth from lies?
  • Where do we invest our common resources to the benefit for whom?
  • What causes real harm and suffering?
  • Where do we go for good, love, meaning and all the other existential question that always have made us humans?

Perhaps many of your good concerns and questions finds reason in the discussions on this. I dont know.

4 Likes

Regarding kids, I am generally opposed to “nanny state” laws that assume parental duties that are in my opinion best left to the parents.

Here, a perfect example on how we are forced to watch ads: Slashdot

In my view, this kind of behaviour from govt/corp is what is typical for our internet today.

Force feeding of Ads. NO means to escspe.

1 Like

I would love to meet soon. Before summer vacation would be great. Perhaps next week if you’re in Stockholm on Mo, Tu or Wed - or the week after? I reckon it would be interesting to visit https://jarvaveckan.se/ on 12th of 13th and explore if there are any software/digital initiatives represented there and willing to talk FOSS.

I’m considering hosting a prototype open workshop to flash Android phones with LineageOS.org for folks who wish to get rid of Google’s and OEM vendor bloatware. At https://GoTo10.se or similar. I know at least one non-techsavvy person who would be interested in that but I’m also wondering if there could be a crowd and if/how the prototype can be developed for kids/youth to learn more about hardware & devices.

1 Like

I guess time is a great measure - especially if one has continuously has been learning more and deeper or broader knowledge in the field.

http://FFKP.se and http://morus.se/ did an interesting study on this comparing proprietary with FOSS in public sector municipality school. The conclusion was something like: it costed the same financially and the migration to FOSS costed time as people had to relearn things they knew well from the proprietary world (similar to Münich’s migration to FOSS). However, I it’s important to stress that when looking at this there are multiple other capitals that are changing which can be game changers, such as the social capital, as in FOSS with the idea of empowering the user (such as school kids) to read the source code of school systems and learn which opens up for building new intellectual capital and other capitals. This is a huge benefit to FOSS in comparison to proprietary which is not seen within an analysis only comparing the difference between financial capital.

1 Like

I always stress: There is no such thing as a free lunch. FOSS has nothing to do with money.

FOSS is about knowledge, freedom, trust/transparency, empowering and maybe a little community.

I dont care much for the economy personally. There will always be enough people that worry about those aspects. I’m focusing on the Human part of this in this context.

3 Likes

I agree FOSS in itself has nothing to do with money.

For sure! I’m not too knowledgable about Linux/Debian/Ubuntu communities but from what I understand community seem to be a beneficial variable. Projects with great communities often thrives in comparison to the ones without.

Good point. I think the Human part in this context is what can have something to do with community, belonging, a sense of meaning and purpose in contrast to proprietary software that you can’t be a part of in the same way.

2 Likes

I’m going to Borderlands and will be able to host a Open Source workshop to initiate this work.

If you are interested let me know and I’ll set it up on spot.

4 Likes

On wednesday at 12:00 there will be a workshop in Kidsville I’ll be hostig on the topic.

If you are going to Borderlands, just show up.

3 Likes

Noted, @erik_lonroth, and thanks. I won’t be at Borderlands, but of course @hugi, @mattiasx and the Blivande crowd will be there.

1 Like

@alberto there will be more =)

1 Like

@erik_lonroth I can’t be there but I’m happy to take part of any documentation and learnings from the Borderlands workshop. Wish you the best of luck!

1 Like

So the workshop was a success at Borderlands with a handfull of participants. I didnt take any notes as it was more of a discussion on the topic.

I will try to follow up on this with a second workshop in Stockholm where enthusiasts could meet and try to develop a ‘for-teachers’ fundamentals of open source.

If you are interested in helping me organize it, let me know.

3 Likes

@erik_lonroth that is very nice to hear! Do you think that workshop you mentioned would be something for the Edgeryders festival? Edgeryders Festival November 19-29: See you there!

Its very much so! I am a bit outdated on what this is though.

I feel a bit rushed to meet the deadline for submitting. But if I can read up more and check my work schedule by the end of the week to see if it is possible? Is the deadline hard?

@erik_lonroth, the deadline is not very hard at the moment. If you can tell us something next week that will also be fine.

Which city would work best for you? Is Stockholm a good fit?

We are having a community call tomorrow at 18:00 Brussels time to discuss the general directions a bit more. If you want you can join in there to get an idea :). We would love to have you there!

3 Likes

I am interested and if the dates are in november, it works. But I dont understand 100% how it works.

Exact dates. Where it is? Who to contact? How to sign up? How can I help Etc.

My topic is “how we should educate teachers to educate on open source for humans”.

@erik_lonroth, no problem.

The event will be in November and we can be a bit flexible between the 19th and 29th to set up things so it suits those participating.

singing in the sheet as you did is a good start as well as the quick proposal post you made (Register for Edgeryders Festival - #6 by erik_lonroth).

looking forward to developing it further with you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve created a “logo” for the event on the 28:th november in Stockholm @MariaEuler poster-image-1280-720
I hope its what you need.

I hope to be able to participate in the online meetings down the road. I’ve been so locked up in other things I haven’t been able to yet.

3 Likes