Let's Open up! An Open Source Webinar/Community Call

@all and @MariaEuler — another commitment just popped up and I won’t be able to attend. :cry:

Can someone act a a scribe and put a summary of the conversation? :pray:

I will take notes

1 Like

Thank you @erik_lonroth, @felix.wolfsteller and @johncoate for a very interesting and productive call.

Here the notes from the call, which also sketch out some of the plan to come :

> *> Check in:*

> *> Felix:*
> *> Great Storm (Sabine). But not too much damage.*
> *> John:*
> *> Has read this morning: No rain in Feb in california! Quite Alarming. Going to edgeryders get together in Sicily. His mother is quite ill at the moment and taking care of her is currently very demanding.*
> *> Erik:*
> *> Working a lot but heading out on a family trip in the north of Sweden.*
> *> Maria:*
> *> I am good. Still no snow so! :(. Engaged in some good discussions in developing NGI for incubator purposes and a pitch for a workshop series.*

Notes:

Maria posted invitations to the call in teacher facebook groups, but nobody reacted.

Ergo: we have to get in contact differently!

Erik emphasises the need and advantages of an direct intense in person workshop!

• Discussion on digital autonomy - and actions

What do we need for a workshop?

We need to make two lists:

1. Topics
  2. People to invite

Topic list:

Examples:

• Data sovereignty:
    • Digital Autonomy.
    • How do you maintain the freedom of your own data
    • How do you keep your password save
  • GDPR and what it means for teachers! (as a entry door into the topic)
    • How do you deal with other people’s data?
  • Subscriber to your life?..Ingrown subscriptions. Which programs do you learn to use?
    • Dependence on subscription software
    • A divided society - subscribers vs owners.
    • A divided society - consumers vs creators.
    • A divided society - “free and capable” vs “enslaved and incapable”
  • Understanding the language of terms and conditions
  • Do you own your money?

Felix story of speaking to an IT involved teacher:

Spontaneously met a headmaster of a small school in Germany.

That person was part of the team (12 persons) developing the IT curriculum for schools for that federal state (for age ~10-16 yrs). Before that he ran a company equipping schools with hard and software and providing workshops. (probably one week workshops on what to teach and how to teach in IT following that federal states informatics curriculum). (open source honey:). (you can apparently finance and engage with beekeeping for teachers currently, as that is a projects many schools or teachers would like to install))

The demand for such workshops is very high. More than are provided. The teachers feel that they can not provide the skills for good IT teaching, as there is always some pupils ahead of them.

What do you think about developing a paid workshop offer for teachers to use open source software?

(open hive: http://openhivescale.org/ , but apparently there are multiple projects: OSBeehives | Source Files , … )

• YES! Positive professional pressure
  • YES! Sustainability of the project!

Another set of workshops:

These could be such concrete (practical) offers for teachers.

• Monitoring your beehive with open source software and hardware.
  • Automatically watering your flower with open source software.
  • Run your own cloud on open source software.

There are different forms of workshops:

Development and Offer Workshops.

next development workshop will help to develop strategy for offer workshops

offered workshops are “offered to schools and teachers”

Links:

Overview ‹ Mitchel Resnick — MIT Media Lab (john can connect us to those people)

Who do we need to contact/invite?

(concrete names!)

This is a Wiki post. Everyone can edit it and add to it. Please feel free to do so even if you were not in the call :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, here is a reminder for the call today:
Join Zoom Meeting

Here are the note from the call from the 25th of Feb:

Topical post will follow per session topic. The next call on the 10th of March will be on password security using open source.

Potential workshop locations:

• Blivande
  • At schools (come to them to lower the barrier)

Topics for a workshop series

Open source and current questions; “Technology for everyone”

1. Logged in and out - How do I manage all the passwords in a safe way - with open source software.
  2. Linux, the operating system for future (-) creators, basic introduction for teachers.
  3. Bitcoin and crypto currencies - how do we teach future generations about the new digital economy?
  4. Deep Internet, how do I get there with open source tools and why do I need to learn how to swim?
    Material: https://darknetdiaries.com/

Why do we need to teach about this?

Children/pupils data is sold there, pupils might buy their drugs there, …

1. What is a cloud and how do I use them - with open source software.
  2. My wifi, how does it work?
  3. Kids and the internet, what experiences are there?
  4. Working on the Internet, how does a professional life start there? Students working extra?

What does attract teachers? Where will they walk away from? We focus on rephrasing the workshop titles.

Another strategy might be to host an event in a school, but to attract the parents, assuming that teachers than also would come (e.g. because they fear the next days all kids will speak about bitcoin [or any other of the above topic], but they - the teachers - don’t know anything about it).

Maybe we rephrase it with potential questions from children to teachers for each workshop topic? Or by opening a story from “everyday” school and teachers life?

Sustainability

Price: 0.200 Bitcoin cash :wink: or 200 SEK —> For the Blivande hosted event. >> think again about the message of the price.

Price: 10000SEK for a booked session at the local “school/educational center”.

• Or you could offer to come to schools >> who asks schools how? >> we need a pitch deck? Website
  • Contact local (walldorf) school for parent workshop offer

On the platform:

One thread per workshop topic. Ask people for input, opinions on the agenda and participation.

Timeline:

Discussion on the platform: March

Planning first events: April

Inviting participants: April

Financing of international participation - perhaps through some EU project or the like.

Session 1 - May 2020

Logged in and out - How do I manage all the passwords in a safe way - with open source software.
Looking for: Someone who can demo keepass2

The participants will get a perk: “Basic Internet self defence”

Session 2 - July 2020

Linux, the operating system for future (-) creators, basic introduction for teachers. Bring your laptop and get Linux running on it. (And/or a USB Pendrive, to have Linux on it without influencing your current computer setup). Naked.
Looking for: Someone who can install a Linux operating system on laptops and show some basic applications and usage.

Session 3 - September 2020

Bitcoin and crypto currencies - how do we teach future generations about the new digital economy? Naked.

Looking for: Someone who can show and help people get their first crypto wallet (open source versions) started.

Session 4 - November 2020

Deep Internet, how do I get there, with open source tools and why do I need to learn how to swim?
Material: https://darknetdiaries.com/

Why do we need to teach about this?

Children/pupils data is sold there, pupils might buy their drugs there.

Looking for: Someone who can show the TOR browser and some sides and perhaps also talk about the darknet in general.

Session 5 - January 2021

What is a cloud and how do I use them - with open source software.

Looking for: Someone who knows about clouds in general.

Session 6 - March 2021

My wifi, how does it work?

Looking for: Someone who know how Wifi works do:s and dont:s - open source connection.

Session 7 - May 2021

Kids and the internet, what experiences are there?

Looking for: Someone who have experiences of kids and the Internet.

Session 8 - July 2021

Working on the Internet, how does a professional life start there? Students working extra?

Looking for: Someone who has done paid work on sites like Fiverr or something similar. Experiences from that. How does being paid for work on the internet work? What do influencers do? How do they get paid.

Session 9 - September 2021

So, open source is for free, so how the heck can I make money out of it? How is it financed?

Looking for: Someone who makes money in the open source domain and can tell how.

Micro-exam/certificate/gamification/perk-system thing. Something to put in your CV thing. Yeah. That. Stickers. SWAG. Maybe a signature on the BC blockchain.

Check timeline with Blivande. (maria)

thank you @erik_lonroth and @felix.wolfsteller. ping @johncoate

ping @zmorda

please look at the topics above and check which would be interesting for OCI lab participants to join the discussion.

@zmorda just suggested that this one should be earlier, potentially the first one. Emphasise the opportunities perspective.