List of NGI events 2019-2020-2021

This is the list to keep track of all NGI related events: those Edgeryders is organising or third party events in which Edgeryders have an active role in. The post is made wiki with the idea to update it until the end of the project. It is useful to have an overview but also for reporting purposes.

Events organized by Edgeryders (onboarding events):

• 11/5 - NGI Forward Matchmaking event
    Type: matchmaking
    Category: public
    Organisers: Edgeryders
    Stakeholders: tech community
    Edgeryders role: telling our stories and getting acquainted with the roadmap of the Internet of Humans project.
    Number of participants: 35

• 19/11 - AI and Internet infrastructure vs. equality and justice
    Type: meetup
    Organisers: Edgeryders in partnership with DigitYser
    Stakeholders: policy makers; tech & hacker scene
    Edgeryders role: @nadia @alberto Event organized in the framework of the Edgeryders Festival.
    Monitoring form.
    Number of participants: 100
    Stakeholders reached: Policymakers, organised civil society.
    Reach: 750 policymakers. As a direct result of the summary we wrote of findings from the event, we were requested to provide suggestions for amendments Greens MEP Alexandra Geese included our proposals as amendments in her report for the Committee on Internal Market and Consumer Protection (IMCO) in the European Parliament has confirmed all the compromise amendments in my report with far-reaching demands for future standards in the ethics of artificial intelligence, robotics and related technologies. The report highlights the outlines for future legislation set by the European Parliament. They will feed into the report of the JURI Committee, which will be put to the vote in September and is expected to go to plenary in October. https://alexandrageese.eu/the-results-of-my-report-on-ethical-aspects-of-ai/

• 19/11; 28/11 & 29/11 - Anticipate! Exploring Collective Intelligence Design
    Type: a series of three workshops
    Organisers: Edgeryders, Co-hosted by xm:lab - Experimental Media Lab and K8 of the Academy of Fine Arts Saar.
    Stakeholders: people concerned about tech
    Edgeryders role: event organized in the framework of the Edgeryders Festival. Three workshops dealt with: Data Sovereignty, Data Governance and Decentralized Technologies and Community Architectures.
    Number of participants: 50

• 22-24/11 - Hackathon for Ethical Solutions to Unethical problems
    Type: hackathon
    Stakeholders: Technologists and entrepreneurs
    Edgeryders role: event organized in the framework of the Edgeryders Festival. It convened experts for an interdisciplinary exhange around AI, one the key topics NGI Forward. Monitoring form.
    Number of participants: 50

• 24/11 - What does tech look like on a finite, post-climate change Earth?
    Type: facilitated conversations
    Stakeholders: people who are currently directly involved in building, researching, regulating, monetising and or providing meaningful input into the wider debate around the technologies in question.
    Edgeryders role: @zelf hosted this event in the framework of the Edgeryders Festival, focused on resilient tech, networks and communities, sustainable futurism and solarpunk.
    Number of participants: 25-30

• 28/11 - Teaching teachers open source
    Type: workshop
    Stakeholders: actors in the educational systems and those from the core free and open source landscape
    Edgeryders role: event organized in the framework of the Edgeryders Festival. Learn about the cornerstones of Free & Open Source and how those are fundamental to learning anything in a digital world.
    Number of participants: 20

• 29/11 - Service Design in a Climate Emergency
    Stakeholders: service designers from public and private sectors, policy designers, other tech interested public
    Edgeryders role: event organized in the framework of the Edgeryders Festival. The event also included Peter Bihr’s intervention on Carbon Neutral Smart Cities.
    Number of participants: 20

• 1/12 - Cooperation at Scale, Next Generation Collective Intelligence and Internet
    Edgeryders role: event organized in the framework of the Edgeryders Festival by @lylycarrillo
    Number of participants: 15

Third party events:

• 17-18/5 - Data Terra Nemo
    Type: conference
    Organisers:
    Stakeholders:
    Edgeryders role: networking and promoting the project. @hugi attended.

• 1/7 - Sex Tech Conference
    Organisers: SxTech
    Stakeholders: technologists, health professionals, entrepreneurs, educators, scientists
    Edgeryders role: @nadia participated to build new relationships and promote the Internet of Humans initiative.

• 10/7 - Platforms, precarious work and the public good. Can platforms empower workers?
    Type: discussion
    Organisers: The Foundation for European Progressive Studies (FEPS)
    Stakeholders: policy makers; academics
    Edgeryders role: @nadia participating in the session “platforms for the public good”

• 18-21/7 - DWeb Camp
    Type: camp
    Organisers: DWeb, Internet Archive
    Stakeholders: developers, hackers, makers, activists
    Edgeryders role: @zelf attended (not an active role)

• 21-25/8 - Chaos Communication Camp
    Type: camp
    Organisers: Chaos Computer Club e. V.
    Stakeholders: hackers
    Edgeryders role: @hugi @zelf held outreach events (do we have more details?)

• 5/9 - 7/9 - Techfestival
    Organisers: Thomas Mygdahl
    Stakeholders: technologists, entrepreneurs, investors and funders, activists, policymakers, media
    Edgeryders role: @nadia participating in debates and holding meeting with potential partner organisations for future events, dissemination and impact/adoption of our findings from the conversations in the community.

• 25-27/09 - My Data
    Type: Conference
    Organisers: My Data Global
    Stakeholders: experts from business, legal, tech and society sectors
    Edgeryders role: @alberto & @zelf participated in a panel on collective intelligence. Panel chair is Loretta Anania (EU Commission). @hugi attended the NGI Forum happening at the same time and promoted the platform.
    Notes from the workshop on online identities.
    Reflections from My Data.

• 18-20/10 - Radical Networks
    Organisers: Radical Networks
    Stakeholders: artists, activists, lawyers, engineers, writers, policy makers, educators, scientists, journalists, community organizers, cyberfeminists, self-taught technologists, and others.
    Edgeryders role: @hugi proposed a talk (did this happen?)

• 24-25/11 - Internet Days
    Type: conference / exhibition
    Organisers: The Swedish Internet Foundation
    Stakeholders: Industry, policymakers, media, interested public
    Edgeryders role: Exhibition booth to drive engagement to the platform and NGI conversation @hugi

Events organized by Edgeryders (onboarding events):

Third party events:

• 24-26/4 - EU vs. Virus
    Type: pan-European hackathon
    Organisers: EU Commission
    Edgeryders role: @nadia participated and represented Edgeryders, proposed a solution for distributed crisis collaboration.

• 16/6 - An event on the role of the green deal on Economic Recovery and Resilience in the aftermath of covid19 and how digital/ internet tech play in
    Type: online meeting
    Organisers: Progressives Zentrum, FEPS
    Stakeholders: academics, policymakers and media
    Edgeryders role: Coordinating the event to drive engagement to the platform and NGI conversation @nadia @alberto. Participating was representative for Eit Climate kic. Number of participants: 15 in the chat. Who did we engage with: Policy makers’, political representatives , organised civilsociety, academics. Reach: estimate 3% of 2700 … Our session was live-streamed to signed up participants of the event within which our session took place ( 2,700 fellow policy makers and experts from 70+ countries worldwide, 114 speakers and 25 partner organisations of the event). The organisers didn’t collect exact statistics so I’m guesstimating.

• 29/9 - Ethnography and the Internet: collective intelligence insights for digital policy
    Organisers: NESTA, the City of Amsterdam
    Stakeholders: internet changemakers
    Edgeryders role: @amelia holding a workshop in the framework of the NGI Policy Summit

Organised by Edgeryders

Collaborations

• 20/1 - Data And Policy
    Type: Seminar + Workshops
    Partners: Rob van Kraneburg, Edgeryders, https://www.theinternetofthings.eu
    Stakeholders: Entrepreneurs, Investors, Funders, Internet Changemakers. Policymakers, Nesta
    Edgeyders role: Set up onboarding form for participants to connect, offer and moderate platform before during and after the workshops. Producing and sharing outreach material. Running one of the workshops actively. Data and Policy - Seminar - 20th January

• 21/1 - The Overweb Challenge
    Type:
    Partners: The Overweb foundation, Bridgit.ie, The Forbes Funds, Fundingbox, weTech Belgiu,
    Skööl, Umi
    Stakeholders: Entrepreneurs, Investors, Funders, Internet Changemakers
    Edgeyders role: @nadia participated in a Panel, on request of the organiser ( member of the community) we set up and hosted a community platform for event participants to meet, build project teams and engage in debate around NGI topics. (Connect! - Introduce yourself and your project)

• 27/1 - The Future of Search
    Partners: Rob van Kraneburg, Edgeryders, https://www.theinternetofthings.eu
    Stakeholders: Entrepreneurs, Investors, Funders, Internet Changemakers. Policymakers, Nesta
    Edgeyders role: Set up onboarding form for participants to connect, offer and moderate platform before during and after the workshops. Producing and sharing outreach material. The Future of Search - Workshop - 27th January

• 29/11 - NGI Forward Impact summit
    Partners: Edgeryders, Vraiment Vraiment, Chris Adams
    Stakeholders: Policymakers, Internet Changemakers, Climate Activists, Nesta
    Edgeryders role: Organisation of the dissemination event on the NGI Forward project which included the engagement sessions with a specifically designed tool set in Witness. Producing and sharing the summary and the dissemination materials.
    Main event
    Berlin physical event

1 Like

Also - Zenna is going to be at

18th of July - DWeb in California around the 

8th to 15th of August - Bornhack 

21th to 25th, August - CCCamp

tagged Zenna in those events and added the DWeb. What I need from all of you is to fill-in the missing info for each event so that I can add it to the official NGI calendar for the consortium.

I filled in some about Dweb - turns out I know some of the organizers.

great thanks! do you have the information on what role Zenna will have at the event?

I think she is just attending but I can ask her.

In this case it won’t go to the consortium spreadsheet since we put there only the things we are organising or participating in as speakers, workshop leaders etc.

Right.

@marina: This list-style event format unfortunately does not work for our setup to publish events from this category to edgeryders.eu/events (details). Can you please split it into individual topics, one per event, and with a picture each. As an example, I contributed a topic for the first event.

Deep green tech workshopestakeolders: technologists, hackers, researchers
Edgeryders role: workshop co-design, community management

1 Like

Hmm so there is no way to have everything in one place? I think it is much easier to have an overview rather than opening ten different threads. I can in addition do separate posts but keep somewhere the timeline, or a summary like this.

@hugi can you describe what will you be doing (Edgeryders role) at the BornHack and the Radical Networks events?

Is it enough to say outreach, or does it need to be more specific? I’m exactly sure yet.

what it really means? you are just attending and looking for interesting people or you are intervening in a way - as a speaker for example

I have applied to do a talk at Radical Networks and and will also submit a proposal for a workshop at Bornhack, but neither are confirmed yet.

ok great, so I won’t put that it’s confirmed

Sure, that’s not a problem. You can for example keep this topic as the summary, keep it in this Events category, and link from it to the individual topics with more details. The only important thing is that for every event there is a topic with the event’s date and time.

1 Like

If there are any new events you want to include in the calendar (or updates on these above) please let me know so that I can update in the official calendar before the end of the week when it will be shared with the PO. @nadia @hugi @zelf

Also, @zelf did you attend this event?

1 Like

She did. I met her for coffee soon after. Lots of Scuttlebutt community members were there.

1 Like