Masters of Networks 5: A Networks of Meaning - Hackathon

About you:
Certificates:

1. Microsoft Data Integration and Management Developer in SQL Server - Microsoft SQL Server
  2. Microsoft Data Modeling and Analysis Developer in Excel - Microsoft Office
  3. Passus Business Process Modeller in Datapolis Workbox - Passus Datapolis
  4. Data Exploration and Visualization in STATISTICA - StatSoft

Skills:
1.Data processing and analysis (SAS / 4GL + SAS / EG)
2.Advanced data processing (SAS / SQL)
3. Automation of data processing (SAS / ML)
4. Forecasting and simulations (SAS / 4GL + SAS / PS)
5.Multi-dimensional and spatial analysis (SAS / 4GL)
6.Data Mining (SAS / EM)
7. Database programming and administration (Oracle)
8. ETL data processing (Oracle + SQL Server)
9. Data mining and visualization (Statistica)
10. Programming in C language

Which challenge are you most interested in?
Text mining challenge

1 Like

About you:

Text mining challenge

About you:
social media

Text mining challenge

About you:
Hi, I’m an undergrad econ student, exploring various areas, including data science, social science research, programming, cloud (GCP), etc. I’m interested in fintech, startups, innovation, and coffee (obviously).

Text mining challenge

About you:
Network scientist. Good Tulip, bad Python.

Interpretation challenge

About you:

Visualization challenge

About you:
I am a researcher at FATIGUE project, a sister project of POPREBEL. I am interested in social movements networks and my research is rooted in digital ethnographic methodology.

POPREBEL challenge

1 Like

About you:
I’m studying economics in University of Warsaw. My knowlege about programming is basic level, so I would like to improve my skills and learn something interesting.

Text mining challenge

1 Like

About you:
I’m a sociologist graduated in Sociology of Communication and Mass-Media at “La Sapienza” University of Rome. in 2009 I obtained a PhD in Social and Political Systems at the University of Parma defending a thesis entitled “The borromean rings. Matter, Knowledge, Society” about the emergence of Big Science, collective representations of risk and digital technologies through the 20th Century. At the University of Trento I earned then a diploma in e-Learning design and training, and currently work as research fellow running TRESEIZERO, the virtual lab for VR simulation at the Department of Medicine and Surgery of the University of Parma, as well as teaching courses about Ethnography, Sociology of Health and CSCL (Computer Supported Collaborative Learning) for the higher education courses for social and healthcare professions.
I dream about making interoperable what people do with what people can learn by digital technology.

Visualization challenge

2 Likes

About you:
I am a nurse and I’ ll studying the dynamic mapping for the infection prevention and control. Thanks

Visualization challenge

1 Like

About you:
I am part of the POPREBEL team, working in the fields of comparative history and politics, studying nationalism, populism, xenophobia and antisemitism. I am also co-leading the Malach Center for Visual History, Institute of Formal and Applied Linguistics at CU Prague, where we apply NLP in researching history of the Holocaust through personal accounts of the survivors and witnesses. Have a basic - to intermediate Python skills, got infected by Alberto’s passion for Tulip and absolute thirst for a course such as this:)

POPREBEL challenge

About you:
I am an anthropologist at the University of Oxford (Oxford Internet Institute). I have been working with Edgeryders to develop SSNA.

POPREBEL challenge

About you:
I am an anthropologist and I contribute to the POPREBEL project as an ethnographer for the Czech language community. I have no former experience in quantitative analysis or coding, so I am looking forward to learn some new skills.

POPREBEL challenge

About you:
I am an online community manager in the POPREBEL project and I have been part of the initial content seeding and efforts to invite the community to post their stories on the relevant project topics.

POPREBEL challenge

Hello and welcome, @Billjohnston, @marcob, @ntjahj, @eilah_tan, @sandrapalka, @Ekin, @ABalamut. It looks like we are going to be one big group.

Tomorrow I will explain more, but the essence of the problem is this: once the ethnographic coding is done, we end up with a large semantic network with 1,000 to 1,500 nodes and 30K to 100K edges. It is not human-consumable, in any form.

This leaves us with two strategies:

1. Find interpretations for computable network metrics or characteristics. For example, the existence of separate components (“islands” of ethnographic codes that do not interact at all) would be a strong signal that the key concepts in the corpus are divided into separate groups.
  2. Find interpretable (and theoretically justified) ways to reduce the networks. In this way, we can prepare a reduced network for visual analysis, but the criteria using for building it affect the meaning of its nodes and edges.

I do my own network wrangling with Tulip, whose main advantage is that it is scriptable with Python. If you too use Tulip, I have prepared files of our three main datasets that you can open directly in Tulip. See you tomorrow!

About you:
I am an ethnographer working with the POPREBEL project, keen on developing news skills and cooperating over interesting research solutions.

POPREBEL challenge

About you:

About you:

About you:
Tulip developer and network science and vis expert

POPREBEL challenge

About you:
Network analysis and visualization is my background.

Visualization challenge