Sæl og blessuð. I’m Hugi - I have a very hard time defining myself (excuse me, my millennial is showing) but I will try. Here are 11 facts about me.
- I was born in Iceland, grew up in Stockholm, and lived in China for a couple of years in my very early adulthood.
- Most of my life and work has been in co-created and participatory settings. In fact I often joke that I have no idea how to do anything else. By this point I have been a central node in participatory art projects and festivals, participatory politics, co-created placemaking, open-source software development, open networked companies and even dabbled with a co-created religion.
- I grew up watching everything from Start Trek to Farscape, and reading everything from Stephenson to Le Guin.
- At 15 I moved to Kiruna to attend space high-school.
- I sometimes develop software and do data analysis.
- As one of the co-directors of Edgeryders, I am also an admin of this platform and responsible with by fellow directors for keeping the lights on.
- I am a recovered rational skeptic and now readily resort to both tarot and magic when the situation requires.
- One text that has influenced me immensely is the essay (and book) Meeting the Universe Halfway by Karen Barad.
- I studied biotechnology engineering and bioinformatics at university.
- I co-founded and co-manage the community center Blivande in Stockholm.
- I have kept a playlist for 20 years, adding my 10-20 most listened songs from every year. As I’m 32, this goes back to the pre-mp3 era and I had to retrofit the first few years from mixtapes I remembered when I compiled it the first time.
Up to now my biggest contribution has been proposing and fleshing out the distrikt of Avantgrid, as well as building the website and doing outreach for the project.
As an aethnographer I am mostly an incanter, with an interest in the art of the augur.