Open Ethnographer Sneak Preview: Come and Test!

Question

Do you have an opinion about how you and other researchers would like comments being exported to RQDA?:

1. In the same text (RQDA "file") as the node, separated just with newlines from the node / other comments, and with metadata (author, date, link etc.) as text above them. Or
  2. Each comment in its own text (RQDA "file"), again with metadata as text above the comment.

Because, this part of the exporting is yet to be done and I wonder how is better.

Export

I would vote for having it in the same file, as for me it is easier to work with less separate files. And yes, autocomplete is an awesome function! I tried it already, it makes coding so much easier.

Last coding sprint before release

Here’s my view of what we will try to finish until we provide the initial release at end of the month:

• Sidebar interface, listing all public tags and allowing to hide and unhide them. Implementation handled in #50. (by: not clear yet, hopefully @danohu )
  • Export button in the sidebar interface. (by: Matthias)
  • Tag merging functionality via Tagadelic. (by: Matthias)
  • Exporting comments and comment annotations to RQDA. (by: Matthias)
  • Making the quotation manager HTML aware (by: Matthias)

Let us know in case something critical is amiss for the first release.

yep, sounds good to me, and I’m happy to work on the sidebar.

Any reason why I can’t see the “annotate” button anymore?

The rest of the software works as expected (and looks good!). But I lost my pencil icon button…

I can see the annotator icon, but I can’t see any sidebar or its sketch, nor anything that’s similar to Inga’s print screen…

Works only on node body fields

You might have looked for the pencil icon after selecting text in a comment, but that’s only coming with the update tomorrow. For now, try annotating node text. I don’t know what other reason there could be … if the problem persists, try a different browser to let us exclude cache and browser issues.

And Noemi, on a “node view” page like this one, don’t you have the “View annotations” small vertical piece to the right? If you have it, click it, it will open the sidebar.

Oh that sidebar!

I don’t know why I expected smth to pop up or be fully visible, sorry! yes it’s there.

Watch out for the rookies out here :frowning:

1 Like

Now works also on comments

Just installed the new Open Ethnographer 1.0 version, and it will allow to annotate nodes and comment body fields now (or, when changing configuration, any other text field as well, incl. title fields).