Playful Futures: Illustrations from Croatia

fculic_a3_poster_72dpi

FILIP ČULIĆ
No title

The stylized form of Diocletian’s palace on an ice cube represents a sad sequence of events related to rising sea levels. Flaming Hands shows our dependence on the energy we get from fossil fuels. They have become a reason for the doom of the civilization, and at the same time, the way to maintain current way of life. The visual of the burner is the industry and industrialization that has fuelled and sustained the consumer society for the last 150 years. On the burner is a clock with 5 minutes to 12 o’clock, with which I want to indicate that it is high time to change the attitude towards the environment and humanity itself I want my illustration to encourage thinking about new ways and paths that would lead to a society that uses more economical technology, a more efficient and sustainable way of life.

Bio: Filip is a graphic designer and animator who lives in Split. He is a student in his second year at the Department of Animated Film and New Media, at the Academy of Fine Arts in Zagreb, and he completed his bachelor’s degree in Visual Communication Design at the Academy of Arts in Split.
Filip is inspired by artists such as Hieronymus Bosch and Pieter Brueghel, naive painters Mija Kovačić, Ivan Rabuzin and Ivan Večenaj, contemporary artists James Jean, Jean Giraud Moebius and Takashi Murakami… By observing the elements (details) in their works he creates his own world.

IMG_20221117_145052 (1)

MARINA BAKICA
No title

The illustration is a funny caricature/portrayal of Split’s way of being and carefree attitude towards life. Every change that happens in this city will first be met with disapproval and resentment, but in the end the conclusion is know how to get away with different situations and we like it here.

Bio: I live and work in Split. I graduated in electrical engineering. However, electrical engineering is for ‘bread’, and art is for the soul. From a young age, I have been doing tailoring/sewing, drawing, singing, and sometimes I also play the guitar. Most of all, I like to draw humorous type illustrations, which depict my carefree spirit, my sense of humor and their purpose is to make the audience laugh/cheer up.

apartmani duje

ANTE BEOVIĆ
"Apartments Duje"

The illustration was created as a reaction to the topic of potentially catastrophic climate change that doesn’t seem getting any better. Humanity is playing with nature too much and it’s time to pay. The illustration is descriptive in nature. Showing an underwater scene and taking motifs of the classic Dalmatian city, I wanted to bring the illustration closer to the local, somewhat stubborn audience. It shows exactly what will happen in the (not so) distant future. Cities like this, small oases of peace and quiet for everyone who is willing to visit them and spend their free time there will be lost to. Cities that have brought smiles to everyone’s faces and pleasant summer days become metropolises and centers in the underwater world, the world of fish. They will become the main residents of the buildings that are built with a few artefacts of the human past serving as a reminder of what is, what was and what will not be again.

Bio: I was born and raised in Split, where in 2018 I finished language high school. In 2019, I enrolled in the Design department at the University of Zagreb. I finished my undergraduate studies in September 2022. During my studies, I participated in several exhibitions. I am the winner of the Chancellor’s Award for the academic year 2020/2021 in the interdisciplinary field of art. I also received a recognition at the Design department in 2021. During the three-year education, I mostly profiled myself as an illustrator, and that’s it something I enjoy the most, be it professional life or free time.

2 Likes

Home sweet home_KosAnita

ANITA KOS
"Home Sweet Home“

No description.

Bio: Anita was born in 1994 and in 2019 she graduated art pedagogy majoring in painting at the Academy of Applied Arts in Rijeka. She is a member of HDLU. In her work she is using ink drawing and painting.

Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 20.20.10

SONJA PAVIN
"Out of sight, out of mind"

With this work I tried to summarize the not so beautiful, but again a very realistic image of Dalmatian cities. It does not take place in the distant future, but the one already at our door. The illustration shows a tourist who irresponsibly throws garbage into the sea, because this is not his city, he is just here on vacation. At the same time, he passively stares at the screen of his cell phone without paying attention to the environment surrounding him. The island on which he stands symbolizes mass tourism which is not sustainable and is gaining too much momentum, while the sea is rising due to the effects of global warming. The idea was to show how people, due to their own passivity and inertness, do not see the potential danger for themselves as well as for other people’s places and communities.

Bio: Sonja was born in 1994 in Zagreb. She graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts in Zagreb, majoring in Conservation and art restoration. Although she primarily works in this profession, lately she is turning more and more to her first childhood joy - drawing. So far, she painted murals and done work in stop animation and illustration, while comics are her favorite.

I LOVE THEM!!! Gosh this is great!

These are the ones that especially resonated for me

1. Filip Culic
  2. Anita Kos
  3. Mario Causic
  4. Sonja Pavin
  5. Katarina Matkovic
  6. Betty Stojnic

@marina these are my six selections. Please forward my admiration, this is beautiful work.

1 Like

So, we have the results!

9 people voted from Edgeryders, CHC and Aalborg University.

Agata Lučić: 8 votes (getting 1000kn reward)

Betty Stojnić: 7 votes (getting 1000kn reward)

Katarina Matković: 7 votes (getting 1000kn reward)

Filip Čulić: 4 votes

Noemi Bažon: 4 votes

Anita Kos: 3 votes

Mario Čaušić: 3 votes

Tomislav Šilipetar: 1 vote

Antonija Belovari: 1 vote

Ana Salopek: 1 vote

Sonja Pavin: 1 vote

Ante Beović: 1 vote

The first 3 are getting the reward and we will use their illustrations to create posts on social media and promote the game.
The total of 12 illustrations received votes, so we are thinking of making a small exhibition in our space in Split to showcase them.
Thank you all for voting!
@nadia @ivan @bojanbobic @matteo_uguzzoni @LucijaKla @Jasmina Kristina & Johan :slight_smile:

1 Like

A few snaps from the exhibition in our space. It can be seen both from inside and outside. All illustrations you voted for are there :slight_smile: (except from Sonja’s - she didn’t want her to be shown in the end).

P1010949

P1010945

P1010933

P1010937

P1010953