POPREBEL Coding Thread (LEGACY)

Got it, will do in future! It’s all good, we had plenty to talk about :slight_smile:

1 Like

Call Notes 06/08/20:
Present: @alberto @Wojt @Jan @SZdenek @Jirka_Kocian @amelia @Richard

Part 1: Workflow

Once we determine that in this mode codes can only be selected from within POPREBEL (@Wojt is tracking and reporting a potential bug), we all set our settings to see all POPREBEL codes as suggestions.

We merge all of our codebooks into one codebook, with each code having translations in the other languages (this way, they will appear as suggestions no matter what language we are coding in).

When coding, we keep one screen on OE, and another on the shared codebook categories page, to make sure we are assigning codes we have already used instead of creating new codes that have the same meaning (and to check definitions in case we are unsure).

We code with these requirements in mind. Code must:

1. Be relevant to the POPREBEL project RQs, very broadly defined;
  2. Be capturing a concept that the informant cares about / has deemed meaningful;
  3. Be a good code (by the standards we have set in the wiki — carry meaning on its own, and not be compound).

Part 2: Action Items

1. Create new post discussing the proximate vs distant coding issue (@Jan and @amelia)
  2. Go through the categories sheet and make notes on what to merge / rename.
  3. Perform any internal merges on your own codes and resolve them in the sheet.
  4. Create shared codebook (@amelia will start).
2 Likes

Can we meet next week to implement some merges? Who can make September 1st, 2nd, or 3rd (Tues, Wed, Thurs?). 14 - 15:30 UK? @Jan @Wojt @Jirka_Kocian @SZdenek?

Once we do this set of merges, we can update Graph Ryder and give @nadia some visualisations to do outreach and engagement with, so we need to finish this up next week. If we need to meet in partial teams that’s OK, but this needs to be done by the end of next week. Nadia, my goal is to get you these by Friday 4th September.

I can do Wednesday. Hope you are all doing well.

1 Like

Wednesday is ok.

1 Like

OK! We will do Wednesday September 2nd 14 to 15:30 UK. Whoever can make it, please join us.

1 Like

Ok, everybody. @amelia @matthias @Jirka_Kocian @SZdenek @Jan
There seems to be an issue.
Quite a big one, I daresay.
Namely, I got down to cleaning my codes and, to my surprise, I realised that there seem to be no Polish translations (apart from the very few I added just now) in the backend.
I also checked Jirka’s and Zdenek’s and the situation seems to be similar in the Czech team’s domain (can you guys confirm?).
Obviously, I haven’t looked at all the codes yet, but it seems to be a global thing.

EDIT: I can find my codes in the system when I switch to Polish in my User Settings, but it still displays only their English names as if no translation was there.
So they are SOMEWHERE there, just don’t show.
It makes checking if everything’s translated before Amelia unleashes Graph Ryder on us a real bother.

but when I click it

If it’s a bug please report it in github!

That’s the plan, I wanted to check with everybody first. Maybe there is some new functionality I’m not aware of, maybe there is something I needed to click to see them. Besides, I wanted to see if the Czech team has the same issue.

Hello, I am in the middle of my vacation, travelling with limited access to the internet and worktable, @SZdenek could you take this one over? I will at least go over the file and comment form my perspective before the call

Hello Wojtek, I am not sure if this is an answer to the problem that you reported, but if I scroll down to the localised tags section, (at least some of my codes) show their Czech version. However, it is true that some of the latest codes lost their Czech translation. I cannot dismiss human error from my part to be on fault, but with some of them I am 100% sure I did code them bilingually:-/

@Jirka_Kocian
Thank you for your input.
@SZdenek
Can you confirm?

Hey Everybody. I am terribly sorry - I said Wednesday was OK for me; it is not. I teach my first class at 9:50 am my time to 12:50. I meant Thursday (it is the third day of the month and I apparently thought about … the third day of the week. I suppose it is best if you go ahead and Wojtek will represent the “Polish” side. All best, J

@Wojt can you do Thurs? At the moment it’s just us, so no reason to leave you out if we can move it.

Wojtek and I are just talking (though he just had to take a break), so we will figure it out shortly and let you know. Thanks @amelia for your understanding and flexibility!

1 Like

Yeah, Thursday is ok, too. I have a parent-teacher conference at 17 my time, 16 yours and 10 at Jan’s place.
I probably won’t be needed that much, so we can talk, but in case I am (unlikely), be warned as I may leave you for a couple of minutes. Is that ok?

1 Like

Yes, no worries!

Hello @Wojt, I can confirm, that most of my codes that were 100% with Czech translation are now missing it. There are some, that have Czech and English names. I have looked for a pattern which codes still have Czech name and which don’t, and I am not sure. It seems, that if the code was used in Czech by both me and Jirka, it has Czech name. The others don’t. (Including in-vivo codes. Which is really weird.)
This “anglification” includes codes used in other non-English language. For example the “mortgage” is coded both by me and by Wojtek and it does not have Czech nor Polish translation.

PS: In my backend all the codes are displayed in English, despite the fact, that my language in settings is “Czech”.

1 Like

Hello @amelia and others,

I count with online meeting on Thursday 15:00 to 16:30 our time (14:00-15:30 BST).

Regards, Zdenek

PS: Sorry for not replying. I was on a vacation last two weeks (and had tonsillitis at the same time), therefore I have not done much.

Thank you @SZdenek. I will edit my github entry (which I invite to have a look at since there seems to be more to this thing than just missing translations) and proceed to manually add translations where necessary. Nadia asked @amelia to prepare a visualisation for the upcoming event for the Polish and Czech communities, so I think putting them back where they belong may be useful.