POPREBEL Coding Thread (LEGACY)

Thanks for the rescheduling. I will be online on Wednesday 15:00 (to 16:30) CET.

Agenda for Today:

1. Check-ins on technical coding process. Any issues, and creating a priority list for any changes. Explanation of documentation process for bug reports and functionality requests. (10 min)

2. Check-ins on methodological coding process. Any changes needed to process/procedure, codebook structure, etc. (20 min)

3. Looking at the Graph Ryder instance to help with step 4 – check it out beforehand if you can! https://graphryder3.edgeryders.eu/. (15 min)

4. Code merges and hierarchies. Going through each codebook’s categories tab and marking codes that need to be merged. (30 min)

5. Discussion of next steps: a) preliminary findings writeup; b) August holiday (15 min)

@Jan @Wojt @Jirka_Kocian @SZdenek @Richard

Do you have a link for this meeting?

If not, we can use https://zoom.us/j/4149496930

Thank you @Richard! We can use your link.

1 Like

@Jan we can use @Richard’s link :slight_smile:

1 Like

Notes from Coding Call 29 July 2020

Thanks for a great call today!

We agreed to document all issues and function requests in the Log and GitHub. Keep it succinct, straightforward and actionable – what is wrong, and what do you want it to do instead?

We will do a merging and hierarchy building exercise together next week. First, @Wojt and @Jan will update their categories tab. Next, @amelia will create a shared document with all of our codes, colour coded. Then in the call we will a) identify and carry out merges and b) create and implement hierarchies.

Action Items

@Wojt and @Jan:

1. Populate Categories tab with codes and ping @amelia when done.
  2. Create a list of function requests for multilingual OE – clear and succinct. Edit current entries in Log to also be clear and succinct.

Everyone (above plus @Richard @Jirka_Kocian @SZdenek):

1 Like

Thanks @matthias! The number one priority for us now is being able to view a list of codes by the POPREBEL project as a whole (so, list of codes by project rather than/as well as by creator).

@SZdenek, waiting on your response to the Doodle.

Thursday it is! 9-10:30 Eastern USA, 2-3:30 UK, 3-4:30 Europe. Thanks!

@SZdenek @Jirka_Kocian @Richard @Jan @Wojt

3 Likes

Hey all! Happy to announce that we can now sort our codes by project tag — just filter in the backend by “ethno-poprebel” Thanks @matthias!

1 Like

Also, when you open the code list or perform any operations with coding, your default page is now your code list (not the any creator list)! @Jirka_Kocian I know you especially wanted this one, so hopefully it improves and speeds up the process all around :slight_smile:

@Wojt and @Jan, @Jirka_Kocian and @SZdenek, you can now designate That you want to see each others’ codes as suggestions! In ‘user settings’, select each other in the ‘propose codes from users’ field.

Thank you @matthias and Daniel for moving through these requests at the speed of light! This will make coding so much easier.

3 Likes

This is all so great! Thanks a lot!:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also, we are good to go on hierarchies. The parent code automatically takes the annotations of the child code, but keeps them visually separate for us – so it’s easy to undo if we need to, simply by unparenting the child code:

3 Likes

Great!

1 Like

Our “code-translingual-merging-meeting” is this Thursday 6th August, 15:00-16:30 CET, right?

Yep!

1 Like

@amelia
I’m happy to inform that we’ve just finished populating the categories tab.
Currently getting down to do some coding (so new code will probably appear, will add them immediately). It’s not perfect, I know…

work
For example, our misc/abstract category is kinda swollen, but we will dig deeper and surely modify it (I mean move the codes where we think they fit, e.g. because there are quite a few negative phenomena there, we may create a category along the lines of “ABUSES/BAD THINGS” or sth, but need to ponder on it some more).

PS
These new functionalities are awesome!

2 Likes

Awesome news, @Wojt. I’ll make an integrated sheet for us today so we can all work on it together.

Also your meme made me LOL yesterday when I opened this post :rofl:

Glad you’re enjoying the new functions – so am I! Rock on @matthias.

1 Like

Thank you @matthias <3
One thing, though. Now that I chose to see only Jan’s codes in the backend, I can’t see some of my own codes - namely those that were automagically merged with codes by other annotators. Every time I use the code, e.g. “diversity”, since I was not its original creator, it does not appear in my suggestions. It is in our codebook, in the babckend there are our annotations that go with it, but it simply won’t show as a suggestion.
Do you think I should put it onto our wishlist?