POPREBEL Ethnography Code Review Thread

See you next week!

I’m happy to postpone because I am on my way from (Ostrava) Olomouc to Praha. However, you have missed the bells of Olomouc Dome. So I have recorded it for you. :-)))

4 Likes

Hahahaha, I LOVE IT!!

1 Like

Hi @rebelethno, where shall we meet?

Edgeryders Community is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: POPREBEL ethnography
Time: Jun 25, 2021 03:00 PM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 821 0605 4262
Passcode: 482321

Notes from Meeting 25 June 2021 2021-06-25T13:00:00Z2021-06-25T15:00:00Z

Carte Blanche/Clean Slate Approach

We will define a new Discourse tag, ethno-rebelpop, and have a clean slate for coding the new material.

Homework for next time:

1. Define top-level categories clearly.

2. Pre-load/suggest any codes you propose to carry over from the pilot study.

3. EXTRA CREDIT Consider “second level” hierarchy codes (like those @Jan defined)

4. Change your user settings in the backend so you only see suggestions from ethno-rebelpop

This way, we use the pilot study to create our shared grammar – that we use to code the new content and have a clearer, more streamlined coding approach.

Check out the [📗 Open Ethnographer Manual](http://Open Ethnographer Manual) for coding methodologies (like coding both implicit/explicit).

Our next meeting is Thursday July 8 at 9am Eastern/2pm UK/3PM Brussels

@rebelethno

3 Likes

Here is the preliminary Emotions category review I showed today.

2 Likes

Dear all

I can’t get out of my meeting on 8 July at 9.00 US / 14.00 UK / 15.00 EU. Could we meet an hour earlier?

R

2 Likes

It’s the question mostly for @Jan I guess, whether he is find with 8 am :blush:

He’s an early-riser, so fingers crossed! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yss, no problem. I will be ready for 8:00 am. Ciao, J. See some of you tomorrow. And come to this: https://events.ceu.edu/2021-07-08/democracy-rules-book-discussion-jan-werner-muller-and-his-critics

2 Likes

@amelia are you able to join us now at the meeting, should we wait for you?

Hi— I didn’t clock the shift request here, apologies. I can only join you at 2 so please continue.

1 Like

Please do, I think the meeting will be still happening, just Richard will not be there I think

Jan, all this is correct, and intentional. Let me quote the white paper:

We can think of the [codes co-occurrence] network as a pattern of free associations, specifying the connections between the concepts encoded in ethnographic codes. Such patterns “represent a powerful and meaningful way of building network models of the mental lexicon” [Stella et. al 2019]. Here it is not a single person that is associating concepts, but a community of people in conversation. Accordingly, each edge represents not one, but k associations.

The model is robust to idiosyncratic convictions and random associations, because they will tend to occur only once or twice. By filtering out low co-occurrence edges, you are likely to be left only with robust associations – though the association is not of any one informant, but of the collectivity of informants as a whole.

So, don’t worry too much if you don’t get single interpretations exactly right: any mistake you make is likely to correct itself. If you “overcode” one post, you will create a lot of weak edges, which will be filtered out. If you “undercode” one post, its strong associations are likely to emerge elsewhere, and repair the error. Neat, eh? :slight_smile:

I am not sure this categorization is helpful. I could create exactly the same direct edge with

“The Church should take over the government, and install a theocracy!”

If the only two codes at play are church and government, then all the graph is saying is that someone in the community of informant is associating the two. To say more about this association, you could look to the neighboring codes collaboration and mutual support might mean that Church and government are allies, whereas conflict and political strife might indicate that they are not.

2 Likes

Dear All,

Here is our last meeting’s summary (08.07).

Our ethnographic material will consist of the following four data sets:

1. The preliminary material collected through ER,
  2. Control group, made of the first bunch of ethnographic interviews with people expressing their political views in online public spaces,
  3. Common track interviews - a total of 30 interviews per country, 15 interviews with people seeking health advice online, and 15 interviews with people skeptical towards the pandemic/vaccinations.
  4. Case studies - individual tracks taking on various issues important in particular countries, 25 interviews per case.

Research questions remain with a focus on exploring political views, more on the topic in the new research outline: POPREBEL Ethnography: A new research outline - Google Docs

Meanwhile, work continues on putting together the final version of the codebook. The idea is to get rid of as many inessential codes as possible, to have them in dozens, not hundreds. While doing so, we need to keep in mind the following questions and issues:

• Think through emotions - what emotions came in the pilot study and the control group? What needs and problems?
    • Pay particular attention to emotions such as hate vs anger, trauma vs outrage, as those emotions might be what motivates voters to go for populist parties/policies.
    • Jiri created a list of intermediary (second level) emotion categories. Everybody should review them and share with other possible comments. We want to close this set of categories.
  • Capture closer meaning with new codes, but do not obsess over details; it’s only natural that some contextual information will be lost with the analysis we choose.
  • We should be done in 2 weeks’ time.

As soon as the new codebook takes shape, we will do an experiment to code 3 interviews in-vivo with the NVivo program to go for more social analysis, and code them using SSNA. If there will be anything interesting within the outcome of such double coding, we will keep the method, which can result even in a methodological paper.

Next meeting: 23.07, 9 AM

If I forgot to note down something, please comment!

@rebelethno

3 Likes

thanks for this Mania! Next meeting 23.7. 9AM Jan’s time?

Yes, Jan’s time, which makes it CEE 3 pm!

Is this the right link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89020808871?pwd=OUFZMSt6N0ZEUWI2a2RhNnZXcmNzZz09