Redefining overused terms for better leadership

Organizing ourselves isn’t much of a hard work. If you’re already thinking about it, you probably are on your way to doing it. Motivating others to do the same however, is a completely different challenge. Merely a better government or a better law is a demand passed through many generations that most definitely is inadequate right now. Even the need of a “quality” education is a platitude; students are scoring higher every new year. So what is it that we lack?

Long story short, it is time we focus on internal motivation; it is important we focus on our drive to succeed. Discipline, to begin things, followed by the knowledge to understand the people and hence motivate them to act. A distinction in an SLC exam shouldn’t be mandatory but morality should. “Education” shouldn’t be compulsory but the morality to understand how it feels to pick others’ trash should. This is what I mean by discipline, a strong internal motivation to understand the society and to work towards its progress, persistently.

How do we do it? Besides textbooks, the diversity of community and lifestyle in our country should be experienced by every becoming youth. It is time for the adults to focus on a single household and concentrate on their children instead of trying to change the entire society, unsuccessfully. Each disciplined motivated child will later be a part of the society that will move towards stronger tomorrow.

The elder population, should most definitely be encouraged to enlighten the others through age old beliefs and rules, keeping them updated of our culture, while we move towards change that is the need of time.

I believe, this is a rule that every individual, every household can undertake. If these grassroot level changes can be achieved by us individuals then hopefully we can be an active part of the society that is ready to change, for better. Change is definitely a collaborative effort but the quality of collaboration counts. We make stronger collaboration, for stronger tomorrow.

The right spot to discuss a question I carry around …

Interesting thoughts! I’ve heard this idea that “change should start from individual education and enlightenment” on may occasions here in Nepal, but this article expresses it very clearly. So maybe it’s the right place to start a discussion about it :slight_smile:

Sure, I very much agree that education and values are crucial for progress in a country. But are they sufficient? I got to know so many young people who already “understand the society and … work towards its progress, persistently”, as you put it. Their generosity and goodwill was very visible in the post-earthquake volunteer movement. But this movement mostly disintegrated by now – it seems volunteers just can’t sustain their efforts for the coming three or five years of recovery work. So beyond discipline and values, it seems Nepal needs a well-working mode of organizing progress on a national level.

I understand that formal procurement processes for public infrastructure work badly in Nepal – this will not be the mode to organize for progress. (I’ve heard hilarious stories about a much-needed water pipeline to Kathmandu being built since about … what was it, 30 years?) I also understand the frustration of Nepali people about “trying to change the entire society, unsuccessfully”. So that also does not work (not even armed conflict was able to change some things …).

But how about a third way: community-organized projects beyond the family level but way below the national level? Something like fixing your own streets, building your own roads, building your village’s Internet access etc… It won’t change the whole society at once, but if it is a working model that can be copied, it can spread (and anyways, it will improve local conditions for sure, things that get not done if every family only cares for their own house).

Are there examples of such projects in Nepal, and best practices how to organize this stuff?