Registrations POPREBEL Food localisation 30 October 2020

It’s true - there are a lot of very simple but effective tools out there that are not well known. In today’s info-tech world it can be tempting to design super high tech gadgets that employ wi fi and all, but often the simple time saver utilizing simple basic machines (lever, screw, incline, wheel, wedge, pulley) is best. I was recently a judge for a contest to design innovative products for ag in the developing world. Most of them were so complicated or high tech that as soon as something broke, the thing would get put in a shed and forgotten. You have to be able to fix things in the field.

1 Like

On the other hand, I like this current proposal for helping bee colonies using sensors that phone home for analysis to help prevent colony collapse. Sensors can be made robust and easy enough to clean. And when a problem is identified, the solution is not some other super high tech thing but more of a traditional human intervention. So, networked sensors to identify problems I think use networked tech smartly, or they can. The items I was seeing in that contest used sensors too, but they also had lots of electronic controlling devices. That makes many more potential problems because they had control units that energized solenoids to make mechanical action. Lots of potential breakdown with that stuff. Not to mention learning curve for someone who already has a sore back and not enough hours in the day.

What is your name?
Petra Kubálková

Are you part of a project or an organisation? What does the project/organisation do, and why?
I am a regional organizer of Innovation Prizes EIT Food - Czechia
Project owner of program EWA - Empowering Women in Agrifood - EIT Food

Petra Kubálková - Senior Project Manager - NTK - Národní technická knihovna | LinkedIn

Let’s get to know each other. Which of the following topics is the most relevant to you?
Sustainability in agriculture or food

Think about the topic… and tell us: What is a practical problem that you have in your work/projects or personal life?
How to support women in agrifood?
The problems:

• lack of governmental support (just a big agrifood company, but no local, family farmers)
  • Lack of opportunity of programs helping small farmers to grow
  • Lack of opportunity of exploring new customers for small farmers
  • Lack of opportunity for building a community supporting local food
  • Lack of opportunity for women in agri-food

How is your government helping this, or not helping?
    The Czech government (also thanks to our prime minister) is not supporting the smallest one and the local which are trying to be more sustainable.

Are you interested to co-host an event with EdgeRyders in the next months? If so, do you have ideas to engage others near you to participate?
    Yes, some topics:
    Gender and gender opportunity, not only in the agri-food
    Agri-food and women

undefined
    true

1 Like

An inspiring woman

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing this Jasen! Related to our conversation during the session, this is really the kind of effort that makes farmers look like heroes! Right @Paco21? :wink: Maybe events like this where stellar farmers/entrepreneurs can shine would contribute to remaking the image of the farmer that you talked about?

It’s incredible how much hard work this is, and also how much freedom it gives.

1 Like