Remote work for everyone?! What we stand to gain

Yes that’s how I do it too.

All the online tools make work very efficient - but from time to time you need just to talk in order to connect and feel good…

1 Like

May be this is from the past. There is much more flexibility today even if you are employed - this is my personal experience.

What I prefer is like part-time employment and part time self-employed. That’s a nice mix.

1 Like

I actually like that idea! An office environment that allows to move around outdoors instead of forcing a sedentary lifestyle indoors is certainly a more healthy and happy environment and an important part of any discussion of a future Internet. (So I added it to my list of ideas for a sustainable IT event.)

After a little while, it would even be acceptable that people appear in video calls while running, hiking in the woods or flying their jetsuit:

(I selected this clip because it shows how the video setup for a video conference on the go can be done. Basically the person wears a helmet camera on a stick, and because the camera is looking along the stick it’s easy to keep that stick more or less invisible. You see the stick from a side view a few seconds into the clip.)

3 Likes

Ofcourse you did :)))

1 Like

“um sorry, I have to go right now, there’s a tiger hungrily eyeing my leg…” " What? Yes, literally a tiger""… Because I’m trying to explain that the farmer needs to remove the second layer of parchment from the beans. There is no way we are going to manually remove parchment from 300kgs of coffee beans this time".

2 Likes

Love this, very unique perspective on things too :slight_smile:

JETPACK!! :rainbow:

1 Like

I pursue “a fairly broad life project” but I’m interested in so many things that it has always been beneficial for me to “go to work” so I stay focused. Also I became a parent at a pretty young age which came with a lot of responsibilities that required steady income. So despite the extreme communal living and free-spirited philosophy, I was a reliable guy who showed up for work every day for decades.

As a young worker I liked being around more experienced people. Later as I assumed greater responsibility and became the boss, things went better when I was physically present. Relationships improved and the work went more smoothly.

These past few years with all of you have been the first as a remote team member other than a few odd consulting gigs over the years.

So at my sort of advanced age I have been in pretty new territory with work-life balance. And it is a challenge sometimes to force myself to stay focused on some work thing while surrounded at home with all the other things that interest me. Being 9 hours behind everyone is good for me in the sense that it kind of forces me to focus on work projects early in the day.

The pandemic has not bothered me as a worker so much as it otherwise should because remote is the dominant way I have already been operating. Plus of course using online tools as primary communication methods is a well developed habit. I do appreciate the way many of our meetings are scheduled so they don’t require me to attend in the middle of the night. I worked for a Finnish company years ago that made no such allowances. That made for some wacky scheduling for me.

3 Likes

This report just came out, and no wonder that an important focus when it comes to teleworking effects is wellbeing and work life balance, especially for women: