Small call for cool projects. Can we use it?

I’ve requested access

Same.

Actually, this is mostly a LARP with a layer of ethno on top. And the more I look into it, the more it seems a good fit for Blivande/Borderland. @matteo_uguzzoni, what is the advantage of bringing in local govts (remember I can still ask Leiden)?

1 Like

@matteo_uguzzoni is it ok with you if I share with one professor at the University of Zadar? From the concept, it seems they would be the full partner as well (in case the ethnographer would be someone from the University)?

1 Like

Hello @marina of course! As you saw it’s evolving, so a part from that premise, you can share it and see if they are interested, thanks.

Great synthesis @alberto it is exactly that.
My feeling is that in case of emergencies local governments are often in responsive mode, and they will be pushed to the limit the more we move forward in the climate change scenario. During the pandemic it happened that they discovered what the central government was going to do together with their own fellow citizens, or in case of natural disaster, they are usually “invaded” by a central unit (Protezione Civile in Italy) and then they are left to rebuild the social quilt after that.
I wonder if it could be useful for them to have a space of autonomous imagination for these scenarios, to embed some long term planning.

Hello everyone, the organizers of the call replied to my request about partners eligibility. While Edgeryders Research Network can be the consortium leader there is the need for at least another academic institution, so if the University of Zadar is interested, great, otherwise we should explore other ways (@marina @alberto) .

Also I was thinking about the Nomadic Branch of Trust in Play as the game design partner, since I’m part of it, but informal groups or individuals will not count as partners.
I’m collaborating with a group of theater-makers in Bulgaria lately so I’ll explore if they are available on taking this on - again just to highlight the game design aspect as something different and leave Edgeryders as the main research partner -

The deadline for the first application is Jan 30th, so we should define the partnership in the next days.

My main problem remains that of budget. 50K for a project with three partners?

Division of labor between the three partners:

1. EDGE: game design/delivery, SSNA.
  2. Academic partner: one ethnographer, participant observation, ethno coding.
  3. Local partner: not very clear, @matteo_uguzzoni writes of local partner/policy maker. But what would that be for? Also, it is difficult to find local partners that are solid on that side. We do have one… but it is in Messina, Italy again! In KR I would probably not risk trying to team up with the municipality, from what @marina says they can be very slow and unenthusiastic. But maybe partnering up with a locally rooted organization (like Marina’s in Split, or Blivande in Stockholm) will be enough.

I am seeing two possibilities.

1. Leiden and TANT-LAB (there is a tradition of LARPs in English in Western Europe, even here in Belgium they are mostly run in English). Frankly, I am not super confident to be able to pull Leiden into an application in 15 days! An alternative would be Stockholm (keeping TANT-LAB), partnering with Blivande if @hugi and @jakobskote agree. This means
  2. Split and U Zadar (in this case the LARP maybe would be in Croatian).

Matteo, thoughts?

1 Like

I agree with this. Too risky.

Most of the young-mid-generation people in Croatia don’t have any problems with using English, if it would make things easier we can totally do everything in English.

1 Like

I’m having a call with one of the professors on Tuesday at 11h. In case you are available @matteo_uguzzoni maybe you could join?

1 Like

In ethnography we try not to distort people’s expression too much by applying rules onto them. So, I would say it depends on the local LARP culture. I have some friends that are big LARPers here in Belgium, and to my great surprise even the francophones normally LARP in English. Maybe in Croatia it is the same, and in that case we would work in English. But if not, I would recommend staying in Croatian.

But then again @matteo_uguzzoni speaks of ONLINE larps, so we could just forget the whole language issue and fall back on the English-speaking part of the European’s LARP community (which is large: before COVID some of my friends went from Leuven to Valencia to take part into a massive LARP that, despite being located in Spain, was widely international and played in English).

Marina, do you have a link to your U Zadar contacts?

1 Like

I think this is valid for Croatia, although the LARP community is quite small.

if it’s fully online this would make sense, it could be much wider, not restrictive to one language which is basically just used in Croatia and the region (Serbia, Bosnia and Montenegro).

The website is in Croatian only…when you go to “English version” you can just see a couple of courses. The person I’m in contact with is Tomislav Oroz.

Yes thank you for this @alberto and @marina , it really helps solidify and clarify!

I see a EDGE + University of Zadar + CHC partnership emerging that is in line with their requirement (researcher + stakeholders)

I like to drop the local gov part, you’re right, no time, looking at the other pilots I think it make sense to have a target that is regional and have CHC helps with that, since it’s a pilot I think is coherent with the philosophy of pilots (start small, learn something and then scale).

The part about the language is ok as well, of course we have to check if Tomislav is ok on coding in english, and Marina I’m happy to be on the chat on Tuesday (11am is really early for me, I’m in EST, but if you already have that fixed I’ll be there).

On the budget side here is what I had in mind.

8/10 facilitated online larp sessions (8 people each + facilitators + ethnographer)

ER → Game Design, Project Management, SSNA, some kind of restitution (online conference?)

CHC → Communication, Online Larp Facilitation (8/10 session)

University of Zadar → participant observation, ethno coding (8/10 session)

Here is the expanded budget

ER - 18k
Project management (5k)
larp design (5k)
Making SSNA (6k)
Project restitution ER (2k)

CHC - 13k
online larp sessions facilitation (8 people each) (1k/session = 10k)
Communication (3k)

University Zadar - 13k
participant observation, ethno coding (1 ethnographer) (1k/session = 10k)
Project restitution Univ (3k)

Total (partial) 44k
10% accidental 4.4k
Total 48.4k

1 Like

Don’t forget to set aside 20% margin!

1 Like

Do you think that part of that can come from the accidental and some from the EDGE part (how do you see the 8k for SSNA and some communication?) For sure there is some space in the project management and game design (1+1=2k).

I just think good project design hygiene is to state clearly who can count on what resources.

Also, it depends on the funding rate, and on reporting. Ideally they pay a lump sum, agree to a set of activities, and don’t check. As long as we deliver the activities, we are good. If there is some kind of co-financing implied, this creates some extra problems, then we need to see.

It’s a lump sum, so as long as you respect what declared you are good
from the call “the funded project is not required to present strictly defined accounting documents to prove the cost incurred (e.g., invoices), but is obliged to demonstrate the implementation of the project in line with its established deliverables. The payment is exclusively based on completion of activity and on a technical report of results (no financial reporting is required).”

1 Like

Just rescheduled for 2 p.m. CET, that works for you? I’ll send you the calendar invite!

1 Like

@matteo_uguzzoni can I assume this is underway? Do you need help? I would not mind a check-in before you finalize the proposal.

1 Like

Thanks @alberto for your availability, yesterday together with @marina we had the meeting with Tomislav from the Uni of Zadar, he will not be directly involved so we are waiting for his colleagues to meet with us.
This week I’m writing the first draft of the call, if you are available it will be great to have a chat at the end of this week (Friday)? A new interesting thing that emerged yesterday in the discussion is to focus the pilot on the sea-level rising, this aligns well with the choice of Croatia and with the Sustainable Development Goal that the projects have to address.