TechBlick 15 - Mara [EN]

Do you currently own a car or did you own a car?

I own one, yes.

Which kind?

A very small one. A Volkswagen?

Yes. Which kind of car is it? Electric or hybrid or normal?

It’s a normal. Normal? Unfortunately, it’s a normal one. Yes.

What personal or professional experience have you had with electronics in cars you have used? Electronics means GPS, for example. Navigation and something like that.

So far I only had good experience with those. So all the sensors in the car were working. They were doing their job. And also GPS is a nice tool of course.

Do you have concerns about privacy and personal data stored by car electronics, for example in GPS?

We always have to keep it in mind that they are tracking us and they know our informations. They know where we are. But I think that’s the life of the 21st century. So you have to deal with it. And companies or the European Union have to do their concepts to, to save our data or to, to make them secure. But personally I do not have any concerns. I think it’s it’s okay. You’re kind of a glass body.

And also in electronics in general, or thinking about the circular economy and privacy.

What do you mean by this?

Electronics in general about privacy. What do you think about that?

Yeah, you always have to think about it. So for example, when you have a smart home then they are always listening. Yeah, we will see where it goes in the future.

Does recycling and reusing means different things to you?

Yes, reusing would mean for me that I can take this item again and do the same thing again with it. For example, reusing a coffee cup and recycling is more dividing it into the parts, taking the materials out of it and doing, for example, also new stuff of it. For example, recycling bottles into cloth.

Yes. So one of the last questions, on a scale of 1 to 5 one means not at all concerned, and five means extremely concerned. How concerned are you about issues of environmental waste and pollution?

Five why it’s such a huge topic when you’re traveling the world and you have a look in other countries, you have a lot of waste in the environment and we have to do something. It’s a lot of waste in the oceans. It’s a lot of waste in the rivers and also in the land sites. We have to learn to to deal with it, and we also have to educate people how to deal with it. It’s not only in the European countries, but also, for example, I was traveling in East Asia and you can see that the people are not educated, they don’t know how to deal with the waste. And I think we have to bring the idea of recycling and removing waste from the environment to all of the people.

What, if any, actions do you take in your life to promote sustainability?

Oh, I’m always taking waste when I’m walking around because I cannot see if there is any waste there. I don’t really like it. I’m taking public transport. I try not to buy that many things. So using electronic products as far as I can or also going to vintage shops, not buying always new clothes and also talking with friends and families about this topic. And I’m vegetarian. I also think food is a big topic looking what do you eat? How many water can be saved when you don’t consume chocolate and meat and whatever? Yes.