The Overweb Challenge

Happy new year! May 2021 be the year we figure out that the Internet is not flat and begin flipping the script so that we use it to create a better world rather than it using us to make techno oligarchs richer.

We are multi dimensional beings flattened down into a 2D web that channels our attention against our own interests.

Let’s break free from collective cognitive control!

On January 21, we are hosting the Overweb challenge to hack our idea of what the web can be. Tracks for developers, business, and social impact.

Features sensemakers Nora Bateson of batesoninstitute.org, Jamie Joyce of societylibrary.org, Fred Brown of the Forbes Funds, and more.

Join us at https://theoverweb.com/challenge

6 Likes

@daveed, do you think you could post a summary/some of the ideas from people in this workshop here? Maybe encourage people to write comments and suggestion here during/after the event?

If Edgeryders wants to be a partner and activate the community, this is very interesting. Basically you host the web based forums for the Overweb Challenge. There may also be similar on the Noetic Nomads discord.

I would want us to get a clear sense of how it would work to create the best outcome. We can promote on the site that pre-conference conversations and opportunities to meet potential team members is happening on Edgeryders.

During the challenge, there could be conversations on what help people need and offer and/or follow up conversations on the panels.

After the challenge, well, we can figure what is most needed then.

I would want Edgeryders to be an active participant so that it does not become another thing for me to manage. I will participate but cannot set up and manage.

If this makes sense, let’s do it. I would need a logo, and some language to put on the challenge page.

1 Like

this makes sense to me. @MariaEuler has kindly offered to help set you up - @johncoate could this be something you might be interested in collaborating with Daveed and Maria around?

1 Like

Excellent! @MariaEuler @johncoate would you like to hp on a call or work here.

I think we need to figure out

1. what forum topics we are going to create on the Edgeryders site (e.g., Help with finding teammate)

2. what copy to put on the challenge site

3. what information to send to our respective communities about this collaboration and how they can get involved

4. social media copy

Anything I am missing?

@Nadia would love for you to be on the State of the Internet panel at 7p CET.

ok - but only if I can be a cat.

Of course you can be a cat. Please send me your photo/avatar!

@daveed I set up a temporary subcathegory for the project here:

Check out the description:

We are multidimensional beings flattened down into a 2D web that channels our attention against our own interests.

Let’s break free from collective cognitive control!

On January 21, we are hosting the Overweb challenge to hack our idea of what the web can be. Tracks for developers, business, and social impact.

Features sensemakers Nora Bateson of batesoninstitute.org, Jamie Joyce of societylibrary.org, Fred Brown of the Forbes Funds, and more.

Join us at https://theoverweb.com/challenge

What you can do here:

• Connect with other participants before the event to form teams. (“Reply” in this thread and introduce yourself)
  • Discuss, present and develop your project. (Press the “+ New Topic” button in this category to start a new thread about your project)
  • Reach a wider community of interested free spirits thinking and making a better internet. (Check out the “Internet of Humans” forum)

Let’s help each other realising ideas that could help everyone!

Tips for what information to include:

1. What is your project about? What’s the problem it solves and how?
  2. What stage are you in?
  3. What call are you answering, grant are you applying for or what other goal do you have with the text/presentation you are crafting?
  4. What do you need concrete help with? Feedback? People? Skills? Guidance? Clarity?

In that category is a thread for people to reply to introduce themselves and the instruction to set up new threads for their projects. Does this make sense to you?

Here is also a tell.form that you can send to people directly so they can do their introduction via this form and it will be send to the introduction thread:

Edgeryders Forms

You want to connect with each other before during or after the event?
We have partnered with the collective intelligence research platform Edgeryders to give you a place to do so that is also connected to a 6000+ members community of people interested in the development of future technology and society.

Edgeryders is a research platform and the workshop, as well as your contributions on the platform, are recorded and used for research purposes.

would need some more information about what those communities are, what do you need? Just the links?

“You can already join forces for The Overweb Challenge at Edgeryders topical forum. Introduce yourself here and start to connect and to develop your project ideas.”

here is our logo:

and the NGI logo:
Logo.NGI_Forward.CobrandingTag

catNadia

1 Like

Wait! You are a cat https://theoverweb.com/challenge

@daveed (welcome!), there seems to be some content missing on the website:

“the middle”… what?

Between this and the copy style (and me not being a native English speaker) I struggle to understand exactly the arc of the challenge!

Thank you so much @alberto for pointing that out.Not sure how that happened, but I took the opportunity to improve the images on the page as well as the text. I trust makes more sense now. https://www.theoverweb.com/welcome. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Better, thanks! :slight_smile: Are you a project to collectively annotate web pages? Am I getting this right?

Thanks for taking another look at it.

Yes and no smile.png

Yes, a big part of what we are doing is attaching information to content on pages and participants are able to collaborate.

But the Overweb is different in that almost all that information is structured and also includes interactions, transactions, and experiences. And we also see great value in connecting the infromation. In short, we are extending the notion of the annotation layer to be hyperdimensional trust layer that supports digital nations, smart tags, overlay applications, and digital real estate and that is anchored by a universal knowlege graph where the nodes are content/sources/ideas connected by relationships.

So, you have a kind of semantic model to encode the annotations in? Do all parts of the layer originate in actions taken by the users (“the crowd”), like tag, or approve for you to follow them as they visit different web pages?

Apologies for the delay. I have been organizing and I missed this.

Our semantic structure is a bridge. It connects two pieces of content with a relationship. I consider this a basic building block of knowledge. They can be created by anyone on the Overweb, thereby democratizing linking. Once validated, they auto-assembe into a universal knowledge graph that can be used to provide context for any idea.

This Medium article speaks to the nature of bridges

“These two pages are connected by having both been visited by Daveed”?

Hi @alberto

It is two pieces of content; could be a piece of text, an image or a part of an image, a segment of a video, a podcast, or a song.

An Overweb participant (someone with access to the Overweb overlay) would select the two pieces of content and then select the relationship between them, provide metadata, and then submit the bridge. In the future, we will use AI to recommend potential bridges. In the foreseeable future, we see there always being a human in the loop.

Whoa. That’s labor intensive. Must be a hard sell…

Not as hard as you might think. It is leveraging the search that a person is already doing. If you know the content you want to content, take 30 seconds. We are building a competition platform for bridging that will be used for the first Post-Brexit UK election.