The unMonastery: On shared ownership in open collaboration

Request to join The Confessional

I would like like to help mend and redesign these bridges

Accepted with thanks

You are now a member, David.

Welcoming Projects- Community Building and Management View-Point

Hello everyone :slight_smile:

I know that many comments here refer directly to the unMonastery project, but I would like to get back to what I perceive as the more general and objective reason for making this post by @nadia . This general question as I perceive it was “how to make a collaborative project/process welcoming in practical and realistic terms” .

(There are more aspects of the questions asked, but I’ll refer to this aspect here)

I think it’s a good thing that we can learn together and improve our projects based on gained shared knowledge.

We can learn in neutral objective ways, even if sometimes we might have more emotionally involved views on some projects . ( But it’s completely OK to feel emotional about things too . )

It’s possible that most conversations around the topic of unMonastery, even as an example, are in some way emotionally charged, especially for everyone involved in a project since the beginning, but we can still try to look at it from a different perspective and answer the questions objectively.

I believe this post might have been actually more neutral in the questions asked that it might seem, and referred to the conversation me and Nadia had about what makes a collaborative process/project welcoming ( in the context of this wiki https://edgeryders.eu/en/manual-for-healthy-communities/healthy-communication-culture-how-it and the project I proposed to start working on, learning together on many examples .

I’ve been working on this topic for a while now, and I’m happy to help. Just because I genuinely care :slight_smile:

One of the important ingredients of the answer is welcoming human interactions and communication. How can I join the project (in practical, realistic terms)? What happens when I have some concerns? How can I join the conversation ? How can I collaborate constructively and enjoyably ? etc…

As an example ( neutral example, really :slight_smile: in the context of unMonastery, how can I support and help ? how can someone participate in building the project together (not just apply)? what are possible collaborative processes to co-design that makes a project of this type welcoming ?

I’m interested in finding the answers to these questions so that it can improve any collaborative process and project.

I think that many people who might care about the project like unMonastery (containing the co-living feature) can possibly have some reasons constraining the option to be at the specific time in the specific location ( in the co-living context or event context, the same applies to the edgeryders projects and events, like Lote events, Futurespotters, etc ) but still would like to be involved and included in a participative way. How can people “keep in touch” but not just via social media or a newsletter type of updates, but rather as a collaborative conversation ?

Another practical matter to consider is that people have very different skills to support the projects with. I think supporting the diversity can be very beneficial for collaborative processes/projects, so the way of joining should not constrain finding creative solutions to join the project in different ways.

A real-life practical example : In my case, and the different possibilities of joining the unMonastery project, being based in Berlin at the moment, how can I join, help/support/ have insight into the project to design and evaluate possible ways of joining?

possible answers :

• open forum with discussions so that people can know how to possibly "jump in" or suggest some good solutions . my possible offer : I can help with "community management" "group dynamics" "communication" and "moderation"
  • different working groups (also possibly working meetups) for different cities . my possible offer : I can help with Berlin group
  • general "community calls" (could be joined with edgeryders community calls) - having bi-weekly or monthly calls to update and talk about the project . my possible offer : I can organise and coordinate these kind of calls

my proposals here aim to generate solutions that would off-load the work generated via such solutions and I could possibly take the lead on it or help to organise it

etc…

happy to co-design solutions for this, or propose some more

( just a neutral :slight_smile: question to consider )

Much Love and Hugs to everyone <3

cc-by credits :slight_smile:

I have to credit elf here, I like to credit good people :slight_smile:

for giving me a good advice “how to constructively help” in this discussion

I’ll share the advice points :

• talking from your own perspective
  • creating constructive proposals
  • helping to possibly off-load peoples work  

Thanks elf !

Caring about unMonastery

Hi again :slight_smile:

As a practical example of a creative collaborative solution for everyone who wants to express their care about the unMonastery here is where you can express it https://edgeryders.eu/en/unmonastery/i-care-about-unmonastery-because-icaub-140 @emkay made it for you :slight_smile:

I had some very nice constructive and interesting conversations with @emkay when he was staying here at our space in Berlin and later too,

I believe he has some really nice approach and ideas and I think we have identified some nice and interesting things worth working on.

Hugs <3

1 Like

Looks cool!

thanks @emkay, nice idea :slight_smile: Am racing towards some deadlines this week, but will put post some comments as soon as I have a moment. Just wanted to acknowledge I saw and appreciate this.

great!

I just wrote some of mine, will write more later, happy we could help :slight_smile: