The unMonastery: the space and co-design in Matera

Cook-working :slight_smile:

Pacheca I totally agree with you about the kitchen.

In italian culture in the center of the home. But I believe everywhere in the world the kitchen should be the central room of a coworking or coliving space. Nothing is more efficient than sharing a meal or cook something together to establish strong connections among different people, culture, connections.

ā€œStories about food are stories about us ā€“ our history and our values.ā€. from WHY EATING MATTERS

Some of you already know that I beleive in ultra-minimalist design (almost no-design) and I really like the concept of unFurniture, but I do beleive that itā€™s different for the kitchen. I think need to be designed in details, even if I would use movable table and chairs (wheels) to eat.

Letā€™s keep working!

Whatā€™s NEXT?

WOW, so many Comments!

I feel like I wanna start to put in order all these comments in a ā€œdesign charreteā€ so we will not loose anything!

Have you already downloaded the dwg file? Any of you have already worked on it?

DGW FILES : How can we keep working?

Andrea,

It is not clear to me how can I help with DWG files and I guess others have the same problem.

As mentioned in a previous comment, I think transparency is crucial.

I had several experience of collaborative process failures to to a lack of clear information.

I understand that ā€œMimersā€ are helping the city with the renovation project (thanks Alberto for the info).

Does it mean that they have a contract for that (are they in charge of that or they are just volunteering?).

In both cases, I think they should define how much they want to open to the design process.

In my experience this point is crucial in order to avoid abortive work and participant frustration.

How can we help exactly?

How many time to we have?

How much money?

How many designers are involved?

What is the decision making process?

Who will ā€œevaluateā€ the work submitted by designers?

Are we (designers) asked to give general ideas or design a specific room/space ?

What do you think about all this?

the kitchen should be nurtured like a queen!

wow :slight_smile: love that quote, make it seem like termites good oneĀ pacheca.

i was hesitant to say genders should be separate, because iā€™d like to belive it doesnt matter. i have certainly lived in mixed gender sleeping quarters, but where as i am free with myself, from experience i know that subtle things can cause distractions and tension.

i was just discussing with my freind who had lived in a really interesting sort of farming commune thing in france in the 80s. he said that their routine and thier disapline had allowed them to get a really good routine and they were about the spritual progression amongst other things. but things took an interesting turn when he was there withĀ the arrival of a young and beautiful, but carefree girl. her openess;Ā they wore a sort of simple conservative uniform and she would go swimming naked, they saw no other way around but to ask her to leave.

that is a very loose parallel with what we are talking about, but when you live 24 hours with people of whom you have little to none inimate knowledge of, its almost polite to assume that a slight conservatism is needed. its not ideal, but i have learned that through experience.

even somthing symbolic like a curtain across rooms or beds would work, its a symbol of respect for the lack of knowledge of anyone elses expereicnes with the genders.

also i find i can sleep in a cardboard box the same length and width as me, so prehaps if others are capable of that, some people could just have fold out movable box beds that they could sleep anywhere, like the kitchen floor, or even outside if weather is good. roll mats? sleeping bags and big inflatable matresses that go in a cupboard when not being used?

1 Like

hope you recover in no time!

Hi Jessy, hope you recover in no time!

Yes, thatā€™s an interesting story, and I get your point.

I personally love the idea of movable box beds enabling freely sleep!

I imagine that the balcony, that exists in one of the rooms, could be a great place to sleep,Ā for instance.

This would mean that in the summer time there might be an extra room, and probably with a great panoramic view.

Kitchen kithcen kitchen

Hi Guys, especiallly Antonio and Rita

Donā€™t know if it has been mentioned above but from experience the importance of a well equipped kItchen is often underestimated in building community and convening people around shared tasks and goals. Cooking and eatingĀ food together is an important social ritual, and a key to personal and community healthā€¦it can also act as a great way to build bridges to the community hosting the unMonastery. Dinners and parties are hard to match in terms of gathering very different peopleĀ and building the kinds of bonds that are key to making amazing things happen together.Ā And in Italy food is a BIG Ā deal.

I would really really like to see a restaurant grade kitchen (8 cooker stove, free standing ovens,Ā restaurant style dishwasher, several work tops, wood cutting boards & many knives, kitchen aid,Ā plates cups and cutlery for 50 people) in the space. Ideally in place ahead of #LOTE3. Is this feasible? How can we get the local community of makers involved in this in record time? Im in the venue right next to the unMonastery and across from me there is an occupied space run by a community of craftspeople that also run a small market in Matera.

Can someoneĀ get a hold of information about how much if any resources are available for kitting out theĀ space with equipment and post it here? This kind of transparency would make it easier to coordinate a collaborative process of building the unMonastery space I think, and in a low trust environment is especially important.

Kitchen kitchen kitchen!!

Hi Guys, especiallly Antonio and Rita

Donā€™t know if it has been mentioned above but from experience the importance of a well equipped kItchen is often underestimated in building community and convening people around shared tasks and goals. Cooking and eatingĀ food together is an important social ritual, and a key to personal and community healthā€¦it can also act as a great way to build bridges to the community hosting the unMonastery. Dinners and parties are hard to match in terms of gathering very different peopleĀ and building the kinds of bonds that are key to making amazing things happen together.Ā And in Italy food is a BIG Ā deal.

I would really really like to see a restaurant grade kitchen (8 cooker stove, free standing ovens,Ā restaurant style dishwasher, several work tops, wood cutting boards & many knives, kitchen aid,Ā plates cups and cutlery for 50 people) in the space. Ideally in place ahead of #LOTE3. Is this feasible? How can we get the local community of makers involved in this in record time? Im in the venue right next to the unMonastery and across from me there is an occupied space run by a community of craftspeople that also run a small market in Matera.

Can someoneĀ get a hold of information about how much if any resources are available for kitting out theĀ space with equipment and post it here? This kind of transparency would make it easier to coordinate a collaborative process of building the unMonastery space I think, and in a low trust environment is especially important.

KITCHEN AND RESOURCES

Hi Nadia

I really donā€™t know what to say, I myself donā€™t know anything about financial resources and how are they meant to be used. I completely agree with you about the well equipped kitchen, Iā€™ll try to figure out who we can ask and then post all the info here. Ciao!

rocket stoves

If thereā€™s any interest in Rocket Stoves for cooking or for heating in the unMonastery Iā€™d be happy to contribute from my experience.

It would be possible to demonstrate, build models or even a location specific prototype during Lote3 (though different preparations need to be made for different applications).

cooking issues

this would be great [iamronen]! Letā€™s start produce a prototype during LOTE: why donā€™t you propose a session? I think that also [immaginoteca],Ā [antonioelettrico] and [Pacheca]could be interested too in addition to others. What will be needed?

depends on what we want to achieve

1. simple cooking rocket stove:Ā  approx. 20 firebricks
  2. better cooking rocket stove: approx. 40 firebricks
  3. The "better" cooking rocket stove is a good demonstration of the core of heating rocket stove ... though to build a heating rocket stove is much more work and requires more materials including: a metal barrel, chimney pipes, rocks, clay and cob. This would require much more planning and preparation in advance. Since we will be in a city setting, building it (legally!) may also require quite a bit of approvals and such.

My guts tell me option (2) is easiest and most effective at this point in time. It really demonstrates the magic of rocket stoves and maybe we could use for cooking for the pasta party - making it not just a show piece but actually a relevant tool?

1 Like

depends on what we want to achieve

1. simple cooking rocket stove:Ā  approx. 20 firebricks
  2. better cooking rocket stove: approx. 40 firebricks
  3. The "better" cooking rocket stove is a good demonstration of the core of heating rocket stove ... though to build a heating rocket stove is much more work and requires more materials including: a metal barrel, chimney pipes, rocks, clay and cob. This would require much more planning and preparation in advance. Since we will be in a city setting, building it (legally!) may also require quite a bit of approvals and such.

My guts tell me option (2) is easiest and most effective at this point in time. It really demonstrates the magic of rocket stoves and maybe we could use for cooking for the pasta party - making it not just a show piece but actually a relevant tool?