Engagement ?

Hi Alberto,

I get your point.

Yet, there are a number of experiences,

in my own experience,

that can not be done alone.

And to do them together,

they require a shared vision,

often a vision has not been experienced yet, especially if “on the edge” - if by “on the edge”, you also mean “something new”.

In some cases, it also requires a strategy to share or construct such vision,

and a strategy to enable engagement.

Hence, from my point of view,

the main challenge is that of a shared engagement in a vision.

Edgeryders may be, in addition to a platform, a “filter” in terms of converging certain people with certain interests and approaches.

But what filter’s peoples engagement ?

I personally went to a number of conferences,

and a conference does not filter the engagement of a person,

even less so when their travel expenses are paid for.

For example,

what has a higher chance of enabling me to know if a person is engaged, is if they are, for example,

interested in hitch hiking to the middle of nowhere to meet people with similar visions and intentions,

and a potential, at that place we converge, to stay for a longer period of time, as to create something together.

But this only works if people do not need to work wherever they live.

Yet, it can be a filter, as to have only people willing to leave everything behind - in terms of their engagement.

Yet if we wish to develop an approach wherever we are, then there are higher chances to have engagement from local people - people living nearby us.

So in what does Edgeryders help me in finding people to share engagement with ?

As for “examples”, I can already have access, trough my social networks ( twitter, facebook, … ) , to examples of ungoing projects.

I personally have loads of inspiration and ideas to build on, and already have access to loads of current existing examples.

What I personally need, is to find other people to share an engagement around a common intention / prospective / world views,

and a context for it - potentially a context we build together.

It can be a nomadic context. It can be a context in Brussels ( by networking collective intelligence and local resources, while eventually developing tools and strategies to facilitate it ),

or it can be a context we create elsewhere…

Best,

Dante

Adopter

Well count on me as an adopter.

AD

The ‘notable individuals’ VS the ‘ordinary individuals’

It could be because I spent so much time on the Edgeryders platform, and had the opportunity to read many mission reports, and comment them, and connect with the participants outside, on Twitter and LinkedIn, and continue to talk with several people in an ongoing never ending discussion, that I have a feeling that Edgeryders has the potential to lead to an extended and powerful form of conversion.

The fact of having people meet in person will greatly contribute to consolidate relationships and friendships created earlier in the virtual, which can then be maintained for many years. These links in the Real will lead to an explosion of ideas and will create further collaboration.

I attended a conference on open government in October 2010 (Beyond Edmonton, Alberta, Canada), where an unusually high number of several “virtual friends” were gathered in the same room (people of the open government sphere and users of the Empire Avenue site).

Being physically surrounded by all these friends, with whom I shared many dreams, ideas and affinities, was the catalyst which helped me construct a very strong identity as an open government activist.

Therefore, I expect that a similar phenomenon will happen, with the June Edgeryders conference in Strasbourg, however, with a much greater impact and long term influence.

It will be the spark that will allow to trigger change.

We have seen a bit of it happening already, with Alessia Zabatino gathering a couple of participants around the discussion of ‘What is the value of cultural production’ (where several are already contributing in a fairly informal and indecisive at the moment: Nadia El Imam, Ela, Alessia, Tiago Dias Miranda, Michel Filippi and myself).

I am also having an ongoing design process with philosopher Michel Filippi, which is extending outside the Edgeryders platform, and pushed me to get engaged this February with the Institute for Consciousness Research, by engaging getting people from Los Angeles, United Kingdom and Canada to work together and inviting them to start desiging a new platform.

While these ideas take shape, we hear about projects like the one briefly presented in this mission report by Andres Davila, and the new bold FuturICT project, with its substantial investment of a billion Euros. This morning, Michel Filippi sent me a link, about Gandhi’s grandson seeing causes for hope.  “The temptations of despair are very frequent,” said Gandhi, a former member of India’s Parliament who is now a professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. "But I do see the daily evidence of the triumph of goodness… "  (ref http://hnn.us/articles/gandhis-grandson-sees-causes-hope)

While the FuturICT project is for “notable individuals”, I am convinced that other initiatives will soon take shape here and there, for “ordinary/extraordinary individuals” such as we are… Actually, I was hoping that Andres DaVila would pick that up and say something about the “notable people”…  (Anyway, I am on the same side as Gandhi’s grandson. I have faith in the “after-life” of Edgeryders!)

optimism and emergence of 4th order cybernetic systems

Hi Lyne.

Thanks for sharing your views and experience.

I have similar experiences, regarding using the internet to connect and converge with other individuals sharing common intentions and engagements.

I remain an optimist,

while also staying aware of a variety of dynamics.

Some dynamics , more particularly distributed and open/non proprietary approaches,

as more resilient ad scalable in my understanding.

I like the idea that a global brain is further in development,

as more and more communication is enabled,

independently of power dynamics related to money.

Some big questions remain, such as control over communication infrastructures,

and energy required to support our communication infrastructures.

Hence again, my enthusiasm and eagerness for multiplying and interconnecting distributed systems of sustainable energy production, … in combination with distributed communication protocols and infrastructure, further extending such “spirit” ( see : http://nomadology.com/ , and offcourse, the p2pfoundation.net , which I vaguely remember you - or someone else on this platform - may have cited , perhaps indirectly, by mentoning Michel Bauwens )

4th order cybernetics ?

http://attainable-utopias.org/tiki/FourthOrderCybernetics

“Next Edge” + Current engagement through shared prospective

Hi Andres,

I share your views.

For me, prospective and shared intention is part of current decisions and engagement for living “on the edge”.

By the way, I suggest the following group “Next Edge”

https://www.facebook.com/groups/120497731371323/

Personally, I also like

http://p2pfoundation.net ( and blog : http://blog.p2pfoundation.net )

Greetings from Brussels,

Dante

Do you know FuturICT?

Do you know this new project, FuturICT?  Thoughts???

http://www.futurict.eu/the-project

FuturICT is a visionary project that will deliver new science and technology to explore, understand and manage our connected world. This will inspire new information and communication technologies (ICT) that are socially adaptive and socially interactive, supporting collective awareness.

Today, we know more about the universe than about our society. It’s time to use the power of information to explore social and economic life on Earth and discover options for a sustainable future. Together, we can manage the challenges of the 21st century, combining the best of all knowledge.

The FuturICT Knowledge Accelerator is a previously unseen multidisciplinary international scientific endeavour with focus on techno-socio-economic-environmental systems.

Revealing the hidden laws and processes underlying societies probably constitutes the most pressing scientific grand challenge of our century and is equally important for the development of novel robust, trustworthy and adaptive information and communication technologies (ICT), based on socially inspired paradigms.

The FuturICT flagship proposal intends to unify hundreds of the best scientists in Europe in a 10 year 1 billion EUR program to explore social life on earth and everything it relates to. The FuturICT flagship proposal will produce historic breakthroughs and provide powerful new ways to manage challenges that make the modern world so difficult to predict, including the financial crisis.

Academic Institutions

Research Centers and other Scientific Organizations

Supercomputing Centers

Business and Industrial Partners

Notable Individuals

Arts Centers

Government Agencies

Political Organization

Countries

FuturICT will build a sophisticated framework for simulation,visualisation and participation, called the FuturICT Platform. A suite of models forming the Living Earth Simulator will power Observatories, to detect and mitigate crises plus identify opportunities in specific areas.

These models will be driven and calibrated, by data aggregated in real-time, which are gathered by a digital Planetary Nervous System. Both models and data will support the decision-making of policy-makers, business people and citizens, through a Global Participatory Platform which is intended to facilitate better social, economic and political participation.

INTERESANTE

Thanks this looks really good. I will take the time to read this and hope  I can get in contact with them.

Andres

INTERESANTE

Thanks this looks really good. I will take the time to read this and hope  I can get in contact with them.

Andres

Not a fan

Just took a short look at that FuturICT project … and from what I’ve seen, I’m not impressed. A European-wide or worldwide information system to “manage” us all? Ok, they talk frequently about citizen participation, but you’d hav to trust that that this actually gets implemented … .

I don’t doubt that such tech is possible, but in my view, it must not be built. It’s like the nuclear bomb of society management - centralized people management tech. Still, this seems to be the bright side of it and I believe their good intensions; but the dark side is already in the making (INDECT).

After major wars (like after WWII in Germany), there’s a kind of “awakening” that reminds nations about the necessity and importance of checks and balances: to prevent any part of the power structure to take over power completely. In these times, state knows that it must cut back its central powers to be a good state rather than one that endangers its citizens by morphing to dictatorship. Then, states forget about all this again, and again centralize as much as they can …

Instead, I promote localizing as much as we can. To provide resilience against sliding towards a totalitarian regime again.

WorldTechJam October 2012 in Montreal

@WCIT2012mtl retweeted my stuff today about #FuturICT, and this is how I found out that there is to be a conference in Montreal in October 2012, about similar issues.

Maximizing the potential of technologies to ensure all citizens benefit from the promise of the digital age. Oct. 22 24, Mtl, Canada #WCIT2012mtl  #worldtechjam   http://www.wcit2012.org

They told me today:

Pas de lien officiel entre WCIT2012 et FuturICT, mais beaucoup en commun. SVP voir info sur le #WorldTechJam http://ow.ly/aw7g3 À ne pas manquer!”

Montreal is 150 km away from my place, I could attend this event. We could find out more about who’s coming, who is organizing it, etc.