Track two tweaks

A request for the unMo track2 :

place the 41 community needs and desires front and centre.

We are developing a tendency to towards creeping flakeyness.

In some peoples eyes this may be a by-product of getting me on the team; I wouldn’t put it that way.

So before we all waft off into the dream-world of the unLore, we need to reinforce the unMo as a machine shop where hard issues are wrestled with.  It is also a deft move (and nice manners) to clearly start at the point where we and the Materani last met to hammer out a collective vision.  Those who have their own private vision would then have to follow along and find a concrete place of connection.

I’d like to keep involved in this kind of unConf ubërdesign – choreographing the progression both emotionally and poetically towards a cumlative vision.

For example, I think it is great to encourage Iam Ronan, the new yoga guy – I suspect that he will have to go through a trial and error period that ends up with him downsizing the proportion of early morning eager devotees.  That yoga may be viewed as a typical introverted self-development practice - may be a simplification, but it is exactly these kinds of labels that we will be fighting against.  Some group body practices should indeed be in the program, a major saving grace can be if we can run it in  Italiano.  If Pietro is coming he displayed a knowledge of Wu-style Tai Chi Chuan on the lawn in Strasbourg; he would surely lead sessions even if he can be a little enthusiastic for a pedagog.

We’ll keep an eye on developments, and I’ll have at least one outdoor fallback system on hand if we need to mobilize energy while flagging our existence.  If I get Sabrina Giampetrone on board, I can mobilse her considerable skills too.

Next point:

Mini-workshops

The idea key here is that they are held one-on-one, and exist outside the schedule.

Every travelling participant would receive encouragement to arrive with a tiny gift process that they could exchange if the opportunity presents itself.  They are conceived of as four minutes long.  Four minutes sounds unimposing, of course the challenge will be to keep things succinct – a good training moment especially if people take a measure of language capabilities.

These therefore don’t need a scheduled time, but rather exist as meaningful food for transitional banter.  They can even be done while engaged in the washing up.  

I heard from Dorothea, our Atmosphere Choreographer, that perhaps you (Ben) expressed the desire to have a similarly juicy job description. It would certaining be a good idea to help clarify things, not the least towards yourself.  Offering this service was meant to be my own mini-workshop contribution – but I see the need already, and I can surely find another pearl to cast…

Want to have a bash at it?

I’ll miss this friday’s call and am then off to Canada for two weeks after the weekend.  I suspect might be in a nasty time-zone to monitor the on-line dialogues.

Had a lovely conversation with Vinay the other night; it doesn’t look as if he shall be gracing us with his presence.

Brother Bembo

the Precious Fountain of Ancient Tradition

Machine shop :slight_smile:

“So before we all waft off into the dream-world of the unLore, we need to reinforce the unMo as a machine shop where hard issues are wrestled with.”

Exactamente. I may reinforce that approach a bit in my own words: If you want unMonastery as an emergent organization, you have to let things emerge. Starting with meta-level activity (like community choreography of habits and rituals) is pointless if the community is not doing any real-world problem solving work in which the meta-level things would help it to become better. Or in other words, a socially and emotionally perfectly functioning community that does not get work done is just spinning idle, and thus wasteful.

So: Let’s get our hands really, really dirty at and around LOTE3 and observe where, in all that problem solving work, needs for better community organizing, emotional education etc. emerge. And only then go and care for these community needs.

yes

I support the idea of one-on-one workshops

as we have discussed in our inspiring conversations with Bembo already

"Mini-workshops

The idea key here is that they are held one-on-one, and exist outside the schedule."

What’s specific about mini workshops

… as opposed to any 4minute interesting conversations we tend to have abundantly at Lote with wonderful Loters?

it seems from Bembo’s description that they are short and spontaneous, and are meant as one on one training, but aren’t most encounters like that?

So I’m guessing the process is different. If they’re so short obviously we cant schedule them, perhaps it’s useful to centralize them somewhere, as into another way of Barcamping - people write about their gifts on a big sheet and others simply show up to them to be handed in the “gifts”. Afterwards ideally people would be encouraged to talk openly and/or write about their experience so that we get a feeling of how useful this is, and what kind of collaborations it ends with? Probably the biggest success of Lotes so far has been the magic of our getting together, so why not move away from keeping that to ourselves? Looking forward to learn more about how we’d go about setting these mini workshops. <I know, I’m an execution nerd, among so many ideas I always need to read into them systematically :)>

Thanks Bembo, we’ll have to do without you on Friday. Enjoy Canada!!

since you’ve been gone

Hi Bembo, how are things? all good I hope, when should we be expecting you back?

I thought I’d give you a brief update of what we’ve been agreeing with [Ben], [Dorotea] and others in the community calls lately. We want to take forward this idea of the mini workshops, namely by finding a way to make it easier for people to find each other and know what kind of skills/gifts to expect when they take up a mini workshop that someone provides.

We stopped at the following: We have seen Tessy Britton working with quite cool badges and using them at events and thought we can borrow that design, then write a story that explains what the design represents, kind of like a map legend that we’ll print & post in the venue where everyone can read it and select their badge. We will print each design and use safety pins to turn it into badge (low cost route). Here’s how they look like, tentatively: https://twitter.com/benvickers_/status/381383826821234688

Is this something you’d find useful? If this design doesn’t really fit our needs, we can work with Ola to improve or make additions.

As for the hosting team, you got yourself a bunch of us coming to Matera in the 26th-27th of October weekend, including Elena Karlsen, Ronen and I, so expect reinforcements :slight_smile: