unMonastery Proposal: "Programmed Media" Course

Hi All,

I’d like to introduce myself. I’m Kei, a writer, artist, and programmer, and I submitted a proposal for unMonastery in Matera 2014. In response to a few questions I’ve received regarding my application, I am posting the answers “out loud,” hoping to initate a dialogue around the project’s viability.

While I will answer specific questions below, a project outline and excerpted questions from my application can be read here: http://pastebin.com/zxTA3ixz.

The computer science course I propose would ideally, I think, have between 4-10 students. I set 10 as the limit because it is the largest number of students I have taught independently that still provides a substantial amount of individual instruction. If more than 10 individuals take interest, however, I would brainstorm how to reorganize lesson plans so as to maximize my availability as an instructor—as well as, hopefully, recruit interest from fellow unMonasterians.

As far as finding students for the course, I would first look to techniques I’ve employed as an independent tutor to find students: postings, including flyers at local institutions as well as on online, social platforms, and word of mouth. Since I’ve been following the unMonastery co-design sessions, it seems Matera residents and unMonastery collaborators meet the project with enthusiasm, so I would like to use the “institution”/ project as a means to make personal connections in the community and cultivate interest for the course. In the past as well, I have often shown “samples” of my own work as viable projects to be completed within the course’s timeframe—often one of the most successful and encouraging means to find interested students.

As I would love to find students through community bonds, I would have to communicate using my basic knowledge of Italian. So, unfortunately as I’ve stated in my project proposal as one of the greatest challenges, I would teach the course in English—the language in which I learned to code. The course would expect a certain degree of fluency.

Of course, I am making these challenges and these questions public, so that others may be able to improve upon them, offer assistance, or utimately, raise further questions.

Thanks,

K

2 Likes

Sounds good.

Hello Kei,

The project sounds really interesteing.

In reading your application exerpt on pastebin I found some of the language a bit ‘dense’ and I’m a native English speaker!

I think one of the difficulties of UnMo being in Matera is the language barrier that wouldnt be such a problem in a country where English is in more common usage.  That being said I’d hope that with reasonable efforts you would not have too much trouble finding enough potential students who have a reasonable grasp of English.

Thanks!

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the comment! I suppose on the application I became somewhat caught up in the language, but hopefully it’s still mostly clear. Please let me know if particular parts could use better explanations.

I wish the project didn’t necessitate a strong knowledge of English—I would do my best to supplement my instruction in Italian as needed, but ultimately the coding aspect would be in English. I would hope to find a decently sized group of students, since I think it would facilitate the course better. I appreciate your optimism!

Thanks!

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the comment! I suppose on the application I became somewhat caught up in the language, but hopefully it’s still mostly clear. Please let me know if particular parts could use better explanations.

I wish the project didn’t necessitate a strong knowledge of English—I would do my best to supplement my instruction in Italian as needed, but ultimately the coding aspect would be in English. I would hope to find a decently sized group of students, since I think it would facilitate the course better. I appreciate your optimism!

Thanks!

For now, thanks for sharing this!

Thats funny, I’m K

On top of that we have an education project. Though, for ours it doesn’t really matter which language it is run.

That’s a quick comment from phone, but I’m curious. Will check yours out tonight.

Hi K!

Would be curious to check out your project as well! Do you have a link to an overview?

Cool project

This sound really great !

I have a question: why do you prefer teaching the curse in Jython ? I never used it but I´m not seeing the advantages of using python inside java virtual machine :slight_smile:

Awesome!

Hi [Kei]

I thought to possible improvise small Open Tech School node in Matera, you can check out very nice video about them by [Sam Muirhead]. Myself I helped so far just once in coaches team of Javascript for Beginners workshop in Berlin, great vibes!

Myself I though to offer skillsharing to kids more of our age, also possilby smaller challange when it comes to language. Thinking of younger kids I always recall Hackidemia

I also might want to check possibilities to collaborate with Mozilla Webmaker community!

2 Likes

Thanks!

Hi [elf Pavlik]

These projects are all great. Thanks! I would definitely be interested in improvising/ coordinating an OTS node in Matera. It sounds like a really good way to step into a visible network, which could make the project much more sustainable—an open-ended school for the community rather than a course—and makes skillsharing for any age feasible.

Working over the next day or two to put up a web page with various resources I have, from “lessons” to examples, etc., and going to link into the tools from OTS and Mozilla Webmaker, too. I’ll post a link once it’s roughly assembled and probably share a Google doc for suggestions & editing. :slight_smile:

great great great!

Hey guys, you’re wonderful! this idea is simply great and it makes really sense in Matera, where many youngster are claiming for upskilling in this field.

So thank you so much, I would like to help in any way and, at the same time, I need to ask you: coul you help us in building “district laboratories” where young people create and manage a blog of their neighborhood?

See you soon!

Cool!

Hi Rita, sorry for the delayed reply! I like how that sounds - district laboratories. Is this something they’ve already started or are in the process of realizing? I’d be happy to help make it happen however I can.

Kidnapped!

Are you sure you are only going to stay a couple of months :slight_smile: I hope not! The more I read your projects, the more I feel we are so lucky to have you with us! Honestly, the knowledge you bring, as well as this approach to problem solving and change making is going to be so inspiring for all of us - not only the kids. Some of us are more familiar with a do-it-yourself approach to change, but not all of us are so tech-savvy and it seems as digital tools can really strengthen community bonds and reinforce collaboration. I really hope this will contribute to developing autonomous mindsets in the kids.

Btw, I don’t know if you heard, but the unMonastery got shortlisted for an Italian competition. In order to be part of the 8 final projects, there is this clicking process we have to go through (if you want to vote and help us gather votes, you can do it here): the plan is to transform this into a way to build capacity and reinforce social capital by producing a short video of your project. We will then have it translated and spoken by local kids, a way also to start creating bonds between the unMonastery and the locals. What do you think?

Sounds good.

Hi Ilaria,

So great for the project to be greeted with such enthusiasm! I hope it can really help to establish an ongoing, open space for learning in Matera, and it seems like it’s shaping up to be an interesting collaboration for the unMonasterians too. :slight_smile:

Yes, I have been following the CheFare plan! (However somewhat silently.) I’d be happy to make a video along those lines, but I doubt I could get access to quality video equipment before I arrive on the 12th. Is that too late? If so, just let me know, and I’m sure I can improvise something before then!