Using Edgeryders Forms

Hei @owen does the form need to have a public topic in order to load?

I want the answers here to land to this: Registrations POPREBEL Food localisation 30 October 2020

But Edgeryders Forms doesn’t work when I put the topic name in the script…

No worries if not, it will be public after all, so maybe it doesn’t matter. Just wanted to be sure that the answers to the form don’t need to go to the page with the script, but can go to any platform topic you instruct them to!

Actually, forget it! I solved it :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks @owen, it looks good!

1 Like

Question for @owen and @MariaEuler: in the new account creation through the form, is the user taken through the original platform consent funnel? (for participating in research?) I suspect that is not the same as the consent for participating in webinars and online events,

Yes, it’s just the normal one for the platform. So you need to link the consent form in the last question. Will send example in a bit

add this as the last question:

{
“type”: “consent”,
“required”: true,
“text”: “The call will be recorded for research purposes. Please read details about that process in this information sheet and confirm that you understand and consent to the recording of the call. This is required to register and attend the call”,
“label”: “I agree”
},

Just with your particular form of the consent sheet linked

see how it shows below here:
https://tell.edgeryders.eu/14245

@noemi Will work on a better consent feature to display it as a popover inside the form, until then an external link is the solution.

2 Likes

@owen, there is no pressure at all on this request, but I was wondering how these forms could be used in other edgeryders affiliated forums such as Blivande (https://forum.blivande.com/). Might be interesting down the line when we are organising regular workshop events at blivande for example. But we can absolutely also use something else.
Asking just in case it only means to copy in a different line. Otherwise just ignore this :slight_smile:

Hey @MariaEuler - it’s possible, but it will require a bit of configuration on the admin side of the platform:

• Making sure the user api key API is working (I think it should by default, but not 100% sure)
  • Setting up a redirect URL back to the form site
  • Adding the form site to the CORS whitelist

It’s not a huge amount of work, but it would require opening a dialogue with the platform administrator to set it up.

Ok, thank you. That is good to know. Will discuss with Blivande if it might be worth it at some point or if we cover elsewise.

1 Like

We definitely need to do this. I’m administering the Blivande forum, so I can do it.

@owen, do we need our own branch or can we somehow use https://tell.edgeryders.eu but have it post on Blivande? If not, just point me to the right repo and what variables I need to change, and I can deploy with Netlify.

1 Like

Hi Hugi - the repository is here: GitHub - edgeryders/tell

Ok this will require quite a bit of configuration:

1. Set up the multisite_account.json API endpoint, with the plugin James built
  2. Check that “Allowed user api auth redirects” is enabled in the Admin and configure the redirect URL to return to after the user has logged in. This should be the domain of the form site + ‘/auth_redirect’. So tell.edgeryders.eu/auth_redirect in our case.
  3. Add the site domain to the CORS whitelist (both for the platform and for the edgeryders-multisite-accounts.json endpoint)
  4. Configure the .env file at the root of the repository (create one if it does not exist) and you will need to add the following values (examples shown when possible):

VUE_APP_DISCOURSE_DOMAIN=edgeryders.eu
VUE_APP_REDIRECT_URL=Edgeryders Forms
VUE_APP_PRIVATE_KEY= generate a private RSA key and include it here.
VUE_APP_DISCOURSE_USER_URL=https://communities.edgeryders.eu/multisite_account.json
VUE_APP_DISCOURSE_AUTH_KEY= auth key created by admin
VUE_APP_DISCOURSE_TOPIC_URL=https://edgeryders.eu/posts.json

There are some more instances where the code to post a topic is hardcoded to edgeryders.eu, I’ll have to update this to rely only on the .env variables - until then do a search and replace on any ‘edgeryders.eu’ strings inside src/App.vue to point the requests to the Blivande platform.

@MariaEuler, @owen - we can now confirm that the new forms work properly for the communities sites.

We have just launched https://tell.blivande.com/
@MariaEuler, feel free now to use this for the course!

2 Likes

beautiful

@owen, is there a good way to contact everyone who filled out the form & commented on the topic to send out the reminders and zoom links?

we can not drop them in the public topic. Sending PMs by hand takes long and is error prone if done by hand and often the PMs are not getting read by those who do not regularly check the platform. Looking up the email for everyone who registered takes even longer.

How can we reach out to participants best if we use the forms to sign up for events (taking in consideration that we also need to address those who comment to the event threads directly not just through the form).

Any thoughts?

Would there be a possibility to adjust the email that is sent to people when using the forms to include an event registration line and a zoom link that is individual to each form? Or would that only get more confusing in setting up + make it necessary to set up the zoom links already very early?

Or could we possible to get a list “by form” with everyone’s username and email address who filled it out to be sent in a locked place while still sending the comments in the public posts?

@bojanbobic and @IvanC are also interested in this.

1 Like

@MariaEuler

The way to do this would be to use a spreadsheet such as Google Sheets or AirTable to save the contact details of the person who has registered.

I will see what I can do to make this work with users who submit the form with existing accounts. However, I am already working on a few updates this weekend and can’t promise this feature to work yet.

This is a separate feature (email notifications) from the forms, which should remain simple in their functionality.

Currently I see no other way than to send an email manually with the link, or things will get complicated very fast with setting up forms (triggering an automated email, making sure it works and is valid across all clients, making sure there is a valid zoom link, providing an unsubscribe option, ensuring it is sent from a reliable email service with high deliverability rates). TLDR - email is complex, and unless we set aside the time and budget to make it work properly I’m averse to building it, unless it’s really something everyone needs!

(taking in consideration that we also need to address those who comment to the event threads directly not just through the form).

This is going to be very tricky again… It’s not part of the forms functionality - it would mean reading the topic and scraping the users who responded, and getting their email addresses through Discourse.

@matthias is there an easy way to get email lists in Discourse from people who have commented on a topic, without manually consulting each user one by one?

1 Like

That’s not something for the Edgeryders Forms software to deal with. Its task is only to send form responses to Discourse, and it should not be extended to do something else (or we’ll create a mess). So now that data is inside Discourse, so we’ll have to look there to get it out. Like Owen said:

Yes, that’s possible using the Data Explorer plugin. Since the last update, I can make individual Data Explorer queries accessible to other users. So basically, @MariaEuler tell me the topics of which you want the e-mails of contributors and I’ll set up Data Explorer queries for you. You can then copy & paste this list of e-mails to create a custom list in MailChimp or whatever mass e-mail software you want to use.

3 Likes

That’s perfect.

1 Like

Ok, here’s your Data Explorer query to determine e-mail addresses of contributors to a topic:

Data Explorer query “Users: topic contributors, with e-mail” [edit: link corrected]

Since you are moderator and can see all e-mail addresses anyway, it was not necessary to restrict this to certain topics. So instead, enter the topic ID from the URL of the topic you’re interested in, and you’ll see the usernames and e-mail addresses of contributors. There’s a CSV export function in the result list that should allow to transfer the results to Mailchimp or a similar software from where you want to message people.

All Discourse moderators and admins have access to this Data Explorer query, so you can also share this new tool with these colleagues.

3 Likes

perfect, just what we needed.