Version Control

We are building openethnographer on top of code from several different places. So we need version control that lets us manage changes to all those codebases. After some poking, it seems that git subtree is the best way to do this.

I’ve created a repository with subtrees for each of the upstream projects we are using:

• annotatorjs
  • annotator (the drupal module for including annotatorjs)
  • annotation (the drupal module for storing annotations in the database)

We can commit changes to our repo in the usual way. But we can also use subtree commands to pull in upstream changes.

@matthias: assuming you agree with the above, can you fork my repo into the edgeryders github?

1 Like

Done

Subtrees seem decent  to me :slight_smile: I’ve forked your repo to edgeryders/openethnographer.

Thanks! I’ve updated the manual with instructions for working from the git version.

Also had to go back and change the annotator subtree to use the right version. facepalm

Invited you to the forked repo

Giving you commit rights to the repo, for small fixes directly in master. And in case you like committing to feature branches better than pull requests (pull requests are fine too, I think they’re internally handled as branches anyway (?)).